Weems is Playing Himself Off This Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    It is my opinion that it is always best to try and win a sporting event, event by event.

I don't care what the odds are people should never enter into any competition unless they desire or expect to win regardless of the odds.

People who play for reasons other than winning each game that they compete in are losers not only in the game but more importantly in life, period, straight up.
    Well said

Comment

If JR Smith can focus on reaching potential on the bench, maybe Sonny can as well?

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Comment

I agree with those who say playing Weems alongside DD is verging on duplication. It is weird to see Weems getting so much floor time over Kleiza at SF. By having both Weems and DD on the floor, Toronto has no 3-pt-shot intimidation at all from the two sharpshooter positions. That's weird. Why not give Kleiza the starting role to see what he can do? He's not much older than Weems, but he's a lot more mature mentally and probably just plain smarter. He has shown great leadership and clutch play in international competition.

Barbosa, Weems, Wright and occassionally Peja could then back up both Kleiza and DeRozan. PG is simple: Bayless backs up Calderon, unless coach wants to play them tandem against some lineups with Barbosa and Weems playing backup. A glance at the roster would indicate Toronto has some impressive depth at the shooting positions, but instead of capitalizing on this, Toronto manages to make these spots their weak areas even as the team makes up for lack of talent at the 4 and 5 spots. That's weird too. The problem has obviously got to do with the Weems/DeRozan duplication.

I'd also say keep the Calderon/Bayless combo intact for a few years if possible. Having both of them will make all opponents take notice of the Raps. The obvious trade bait is Barbosa, unless someone offers something good for Weems, but I doubt that will happen. Barbosa is a great swingman, but he's great bait too and not really needed here if the others mature a bit and play better under pressure. Peja is also a good choice to trade, but that's obvious without my saying so. Why people suggest dealing Calderon I'll never know. The Raps have been lucky to have him. He's suitable in every way, especially if playing with a quick Center who gets back on D.

That's what I'd do if I were the coach. If Kleiza didn't improve before the break, then maybe give Weems a chance or make a deal to get a true shooter at the 3 spot. Or just put Peja there for the rest of the year and let the new guys handle power forward without his help.

Comment

Maybe I'm putting the blame on the wrong person but I really think that Weems' play has a lot to do with Jay Triano's coaching. Weems has played his way into the current lineup in large part because of his offensive surges at certain points last season and this season. Someone needs to tell him that there are different ways he can affect a basketball game, and that if he can't do those other things first, someone else needs to be given a chance to prove themselves. This is Triano's job as the coach. He needs to help is young players develop by laying some tough discipline on them. Triano doesn't yank Weems from the game after a forced shot which is really just giving Weems a green light to keep doing what he is doing.

Maybe someone should send him a message on twitter...

Comment

Weems would be well served by a good two or three game benching. It's time he realized how close he is to being without a contract next year. He can't take his situation as a rotation guy for granted even if his agent is talking like an extention is a done deal.

Comment

Garbajosa wrote: View Post
              Maybe I'm putting the blame on the wrong person but I really think that Weems' play has a lot to do with Jay Triano's coaching. Weems has played his way into the current lineup in large part because of his offensive surges at certain points last season and this season. Someone needs to tell him that there are different ways he can affect a basketball game, and that if he can't do those other things first, someone else needs to be given a chance to prove themselves. This is Triano's job as the coach. He needs to help is young players develop by laying some tough discipline on them. Triano doesn't yank Weems from the game after a forced shot which is really just giving Weems a green light to keep doing what he is doing.

Maybe someone should send him a message on twitter...
              Here's the message: please iron your Erie Bayhawks jersey

Comment

the problem with weems is... last year he was put in to the rotation cause he hustled on D & had a great mid range game... sometime over the summer he got the VC bug....stopped playing D.... started practicing more on the 3pt shot..only he cant make it in games much at all... now hes taken away from the mid range game in the attempt to further his range & failed horribly... & he still isnt playing the same D he did last year..

the raps prob. is weems when all is going well still isnt what this team needs(hence why hes trying to shoot 3s) with DD showing more signs of becoming somthing worth while the raps have no need for weems...there the same type of player only DD has more potential..maybe not much more but, more none the less
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Dec 17, 2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Weems benched tonight against Nets. Kleiza back as the starter.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    Weems benched tonight against Nets. Kleiza back as the starter.
                    Are you sure about that?! I haven't even seen him on the bench or heard anything from the commentaters.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Are you sure about that?! I haven't even seen him on the bench or heard anything from the commentaters.
                      I was wrong he didn't get benched. He is hurt.

Comment

Weems said he had a sore back. This was fortunate. Everyone got to see what Kleiza is capable of if given the starting job. I hope Triano leaves him in there for a while. He played 45 minutes and did not weaken. He hit several clutch baskets to change the game's momentum. You saw he can hit the three when it matters, unlike Weems who is almost guaranteed to miss if it's important. Kleiza was a starter in Denver, so why would anyone doubt that he should start in TO. Weems would not likely be a starter on any other team in the league.

Weems will make a very nice back-up, but he's still a punk. As someone just mentioned, he hustled his way into the starting lineup, but once he established himself there he became like some overconfident hot dog. Dude, this is the NBA. People will make you eat your attitude if you don't have the skills, brains or talent to back it up.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                          I was wrong he didn't get benched. He is hurt.
                          I wish he was benched.

Comment

Working...
                          X