Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weems is Playing Himself Off This Team

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't expect too much from him, I expect triano to play him for 15 mins a game, as thats all a weems calibur player deserve. Thats what I expect. I like other fans just hate to see certain plays cost us so many games this year. I just don't want weems to jack up the shots he does as if he's the main banana on the team. If your gonna take a 3, why not let a player who makes it more often like andrea or bayless take it, rather than weems who jacks them up and brick it every time and hits one on a weekly basis rather than game to game.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Weems is an over achiever who has been hyped to death with this whole young bums marketing scheme...i personally think having weems play 15min is 13min too long.. DD is enough for me... i really dont see the use for weems with DD around...1 slashing SG with no range is all we need in our starting line up thank you!!!..

Bayless has been a bright spot for us soo i dont see why bashing him does any good... hes bound to make a few mistakes with soo much time with the ball, his dribble drive opens alot up on offense for others & 9ast is good in my books.. he prob gets 14asts if more shots are made... that turn over in the 4th wasnt totally his fault either... Bargs spotted up at the 3pt line & screened his own player!...forcing Bayless to crash into his back...

Bargs is just a waste... even when he scores he gives up to much on defence... Nazi & Kwame both abussed bargs & thats just a down right embarressment....
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh. How strange.

I'm looking at some advanced stats on Sonny and DeMar...their fg% from different areas on the floor are eerily similar. Sonny's better, but by less than 3% in all but one: Within 10 feet, where DeMar is heads and shoulders better.

Weird, isn't it? How one is said to have absolutely no jumper, but the other has a fantastic one.

Sarcasm over.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thomas1 wrote: View Post
    Just a few things on Weems;

1. I'm indifferent to him, stay or leave it doesn't make a difference to me.
    2. This guy is a Shooting Guard he is not a Small Forward. He does not have the size strength or skill to match up against SFs in this league. However, it is no surprise that we (The Raptors) continue to shoe horn people into something they aren't.
    3. Weems has better handles and shooting range than our Shooting Guard DD (who can't shoot period). As I said I'm indifferent to trading him but would love to see how he performs if he was played his "natural position".
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Bayless is doing a fantastic job filling in for Calderon. He got a little careless with the ball in the last 5 min. of the game last night but overall played a great game keeping his team in the game by feeding them the ball.I think in the long run Bayless is going to be a very good PG; he just needs the min. and with that experience! I really think they should continue starting him even when Calderon is ready to come back. Bring Calderon off the bench. Lets face it Calderon will be traded and Bayless will be our starting PG maybe even this year at trade deadline! As far as Weems I think he just tries to do too much and messes up with turn overs and ill advised shots. He is young he is going to make mistakes. He really is not a starter on any NBA team but he was forced into it when Linas turned out to be a dud. Lets face it when you are desperate on a team thats has nothing to show for it you start anybody you think can do the job that being Weems!! Take a look at Cleveland ; Joey Graham was a starter for them for a while not sure if he still is but give me a break Joey Graham!! If he can be a starter then Weems could be as well. The point is don`t give up on Sony and especially not Bayless if Sony would only settle down and just go to the hoop and not settle for so many jump shots he would be what the raptors need. Look at Bargs last night he was lost out there and he wouldn`t go to the hoop which would then set up his long 3`s.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote badbob wrote: View Post
    I think that Bayless is doing a fantastic job filling in for Calderon. He got a little careless with the ball in the last 5 min. of the game last night but overall played a great game keeping his team in the game by feeding them the ball.I think in the long run Bayless is going to be a very good PG; he just needs the min. and with that experience! I really think they should continue starting him even when Calderon is ready to come back. Bring Calderon off the bench. Lets face it Calderon will be traded and Bayless will be our starting PG maybe even this year at trade deadline! As far as Weems I think he just tries to do too much and messes up with turn overs and ill advised shots. He is young he is going to make mistakes. He really is not a starter on any NBA team but he was forced into it when Linas turned out to be a dud. Lets face it when you are desperate on a team thats has nothing to show for it you start anybody you think can do the job that being Weems!! Take a look at Cleveland ; Joey Graham was a starter for them for a while not sure if he still is but give me a break Joey Graham!! If he can be a starter then Weems could be as well. The point is don`t give up on Sony and especially not Bayless if Sony would only settle down and just go to the hoop and not settle for so many jump shots he would be what the raptors need. Look at Bargs last night he was lost out there and he wouldn`t go to the hoop which would then set up his long 3`s.
    IDK what you're watching, Bayless is far from ready to play starting PG.

1) He's selfish.
    2) Forces plays.
    3) He turns the ball over.
    4) Low court vision.
    5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Weems is garbage. Garbage on D. Low IQ. Selfish. Tunnel vision.

His salary is 800 grand. Ship him off for some fish n chips or something.

Bayless just needs to be yelled at to stop his tunnel-vision-I'm-gonna-go-1-on-5 thing that he whips out a few times per game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
    i been telling yall in other threads that weems is playing for a contract we need to trade him.
    Now, after his recent play there is no doubt he's playing for a contract but I think simply benching the guy would do for now. He's more useful as a throw in in a bigger trade if need be. When I say benching I mean healthy scratch. Put the guy in a suit at the end of the bench for a week to think about his game. Let's see him play himself into a bigger contract there.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that he has surprised me this year. He seemed to be such a great shooter and a bright prospect for the future. However, he has continuously shown himself to be greedy and not at all an efficient player. What happened to the defense we saw earlier in the season?

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He keeps making rookie mistakes. He drove a few times last night and just coughed up the ball, or the play where they had a fast break and he pushed it the whole way before he let it slip out of his hands. The guy has potential but the comment by doc is right; he seems to be interested in his own game right now. I don't know if he should be traded but I do think that he should be sat on the bench for a while. He made it off there because he worked hard and was defensive minded. Am I right or was that not said about him last year? He seems to have lost it for whatever reason. He needs to come back down to earth and play within his team or he is no use to the organization going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Wishful thinking I'm sure, but I just sent a letter to Santa asking him to bring me a Raptors trade... Bayless & Weems & Miami's pick to Minnesota for Rubio... there is our pass-first PG of the future! All we'd need then is a legit starting wing who can score consistently.

Talk about a good young core of players that are all 25-or-under: Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, WING (trade/FA/draft), DeRozan, Kleiza, Rubio

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You know Bayless is 22, making his 14th career start, and has played less than 2 seasons of NBA ball averaging under 16 minutes a game?

Oh yeah, and he did have a good game going until the final 5 minutes - 17 points and 9 assists. His shot was not consistent but he was attacking the rim despite this and finding his teammates.
    Exactly. His distribution is doing well, he is learning, and will have off nights. I like Weems, at least he seems a good cat, but this funk he is in is ridiculous. This is not an off night or two, it's an off night or 22. And if he is playing for a contract would one not think he would play well, at least hard? Uninspired defensive play does not help him. As a fringe player he should be looking to get a contract with the team he is with or find himself out of the league.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    IDK what you're watching, Bayless is far from ready to play starting PG.

1) He's selfish.
    2) Forces plays.
    3) He turns the ball over.
    4) Low court vision.
    5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.
    I really hate when people express opinions without contextualizing a situation.
    1) He can be a little selfish. Because he's been asked to play the off guard position on other teams and because he is a combo guard who is still learning the Raptors sets he will look for the most effective way to score which is his shot sometimes...
    2) He forces plays (like in the last five minutes of the game) when nobody is moving without the ball and letting the offense stagger against a very good man to man defensive team.
    3) Every point guard turns the ball over. He's getting 1.7 to's a game for 23 minutes work. That's actually not bad considering how aggressive he is and no where near being turnover prone.
    4) As someone all ready stated...4.5 assists in less than 25 minutes of play places him at the top of the food chain for back up point guards and court vision.
    5) And the only way he is going to know the system is for him to get the real world minutes where this team is firing on all cylinders, as opposed to last night when Weems and Bargnani were more worried with what they were Tivoing than what was happening on the court.

And considering this happened after a night when he went all world with a great performance, sometimes a younger guy can force things. What I did here was try to contextualize the why's and wherefores...or you can just react like you did. I guess that's good too.
    Last edited by Gman; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    Weems is an over achiever who was been hyped to death with this whole young bums marketing scheme...i personally think having weems play 15min is 13min too long.. DD is enough for me... i really dont see the use for weems with DD around...1 slashing SG with no range is all we need in our starting line up thank you!!!..

Bayless has been a bright spot for us soo i dont see why bashing him does any good... hes bound to make a few mistakes with soo much time with the ball, his dribble drive opens alot up on offense for others & 9ast is good in my books.. he prob gets 14asts if more shots are made... that turn over in the 4th wasnt totally his fault either... Bargs spotted up at the 3pt line & screened his own player!...forcing Bayless to crash into his back...

Bargs is just a waste... even when he scores he gives up to much on defence... Nazi & Kwame both abussed bargs & thats just a down right embarressment....
    Well said.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Wishful thinking I'm sure, but I just sent a letter to Santa asking him to bring me a Raptors trade... Bayless & Weems & Miami's pick to Minnesota for Rubio... there is our pass-first PG of the future! All we'd need then is a legit starting wing who can score consistently.

Talk about a good young core of players that are all 25-or-under: Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, WING (trade/FA/draft), DeRozan, Kleiza, Rubio
    I would do this in a heartbeat, but it aint going to happen. Minnesota waited two years for this kid. They aint letting him go for blood or money.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Clarance...

First of all his name is Clarance Weems not Sunny...
    Anyway I'm not suprised...ppl his not starter,he probably wouldn't even be bench player on good team,he would be dressed in suit.
    I mean look what happend at the end of Charlotte Bobcats game,tie game with less then 2 minutes 2 go and he let's his man go for a nice easy lay up...not only that but his laughin it with the fans.
    Anyway I don't see him in big picture...I am predicting a big trade that involves him.

P.S

Guys that won't be back next year...here is the list.(Traded,Free Agent,not signed)

Sunny Weems
    Jose Calderon
    Peja Stojakovic
    Reggie Evans
    Julian Wright
    Joey Dorsey

Maybe...even Leandrinho Barbosa if he doesen't pick up his option...but u never know.
    Richard Jefferson decline his option and got more money,but I dought it especially that nba collective bargaining agreement is coming 2 the end of this year...
    Anyway ppl don't worry Clarance won't be with us next year...
    Bye Bye Clarice...I mean Clarance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gman wrote: View Post
    I really hate when people express opinions without contextualizing a situation.
    1) He can be a little selfish. Because he's been asked to play the off guard position on other teams and because he is a combo guard who is still learning the Raptors sets he will look for the most effective way to score which is his shot sometimes...
    2) He forces plays (like in the last five minutes of the game) when nobody is moving without the ball and letting the offense stagger against a very good man to man defensive team.
    3) Every point guard turns the ball over. He's getting 1.7 to's a game for 23 minutes work. That's actually not bad considering how aggressive he is and no where near being turnover prone.
    4) As someone all ready stated...4.5 assists in less than 25 minutes of play places him at the top of the food chain for back up point guards and court vision.
    5) And the only way he is going to know the system is for him to get the real world minutes where this team is firing on all cylinders, as opposed to last night when Weems and Bargnani were more worried with what they were Tivoing than what was happening on the court.

And considering this happened after a night when he went all world with a great performance, sometimes a younger guy can force things. What I did here was try to contextualize the why's and wherefores...or you can just react like you did. I guess that's good too.
    Good post. I think people need to get real and ask themselves the tough question. Do they want to see this team win now at the level of mediocrity or do they want to suck it up, sit through some frustrating times and see this team come out of it with some developed young players who have a chance to achieve far more than the dead end players that people want playing in favor of them.

I mean seriously. So they bench Bayless, what happens next? Does the team suddenly morph from a piece of crap into a contender? If not then what's the point? Colangelo himself described this season as a "rebuild" without using the actual term so if anything I expect Bayless to play more and so he should. This season isn't about squeezing the maximum amount of wins out, it's about squeezing the maximum amount of progression out of the young players.

A lot of recent Raptors fans complaints sound like those of fans of a struggling contender and not those of a lotto team who's primary goal is anything but winning right now.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    This guy frustrates me more and more every time he plays. The most selfish player on the court at all times (and that's counting whomever we're playing each night) and can singlehanded kill our momentum at the flick of a switch. Tonight was a pure example of what I'm talking about.

A mental midget on offense who was sloppier than a drunk Grade 9'er at their first high school dance. Instead of taking notice of his play you think he would contribute in other ways. Say like, playing some defense. Nope. Lazy, lazy, lazy with no pressure at all.

So considering he's playing for a contract the only thing I see this guy doing right now is playing himself off this team. Only problem we have is that the alternative right now isn't any better with Linas. So, Jay better show Weems some tough love because his play over the last while I feel is unacceptable.

OK, rant over. Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated as a fan.
    I'm never a fan of Weems even in his early successes. I cannot understand for the life of me why he's such a fan favourite. He does nothing well in particular. It seems to me that fans are settling for the next best thing. Outside of Reggie, Julian and in my opinion Jerryd, there's no one else in the team that has the hustle and heart. Weems is what he is - a selfish, one dimensional player that seems to be doing cartwheels during practice for him to earn so much burn during games. He has most of the coaches and some fans drinking his Koolaid.
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

"seems a good cat, but this funk he is in is ridiculous" <--- Somebody posted but I'm brutal with linking stuff!

Sonny had a great Summer League. Sonny & Derozen had AWESOME chemistry..... ya I know it's only summer league but Sonny was riding a big wave of confidence coming into this year. Add the YoungGunz Ads and Contract Year and Sonny I bet was feeling like a king! Then the season started.....

Sonny lost his swagger, shot, confidence and connection with Derozen. I think Sonny & Derozon were getting each other PUMPED with confidence = Shots Dropping. Now that Sonny & Derozon are being pressured to preform we are seeing that they are still WET behind the ears.

Sonny is like that guy at the bar that looks SUPER cool but when you talk to him you can tell he need more experience and isn't mentally strong enough YET to deal with this FUNK but *could* still be cool.

Jury is still out for Sonny....

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone understands that Rubio is garbage, right? Bayless>>>>>>>>>Rubio
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information