Raps need a defensive big !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps need a defensive big !

We need to trade for a defensive big Pronto ! the opposing 5's are having feasting on our bigs. A'mare dropped 34, Nene put up 26, even Ben Wallace got 23, and tonight Nazzy Mohammed got 18. Thats simply unacceptable ! Should we trade for anyone of these guys to improve our interior D?

-Sammy Dalembert
    -Hasheem Thabeet
    -Jason Thompson

Amare drops 30+ on everyone.

Nene dropped 26 on Knicks the following game (the one after the Raps game).

Mohammed isn't that bad, he averaged 8.8 but shoots it at 57%. He just took more shots today, 11 opposed to 7.3 (avg attempts a game so far).

Most of Wallaces (and Pistons) were easy points off turnovers.

Comment

Raptors are ranked last in blocked shots in the league. Cant argue with that
      What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
        We need to trade for a defensive big Pronto ! the opposing 5's are having feasting on our bigs. A'mare dropped 34, Nene put up 26, even Ben Wallace got 23, and tonight Nazzy Mohammed got 18. Thats simply unacceptable ! Should we trade for anyone of these guys to improve our interior D?

-Sammy Dalembert
        -Hasheem Thabeet
        -Jason Thompson
        Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
        Raptors are ranked last in blocked shots in the league. Cant argue with that
        Wait, what are they paying Amir Johnson $6M/yr to do?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Wait, what are they paying Amir Johnson $6M/yr to do?
          Hustle, rebounds and put backs. I highly doubt anyone is expecting him to be a high block guy.

Amir's interior D is honestly not that bad... when he stays on the floor.

Comment

To the OP, So you want to acquire Thabeet, who hasn't been able to do anything since he's been drafted?

What exactly would you offer to Sacramento for an expiring Dalembert? You're going to have to offer something of value and Thompson isn't going to come cheap now - he's been putting up some solid numbers since being in the starting lineup.

So acquiring a defensive big is easier said than done. We have servicable defensive bigs in Davis and Alabi. They just need some time.

Comment

Tyrus Thomas would be nice

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                Hustle, rebounds and put backs. I highly doubt anyone is expecting him to be a high block guy.

Amir's interior D is honestly not that bad... when he stays on the floor.
                He's constantly praised for his defense and athleticism so why on earth should he not be expected to make blocks and play good defense within the confines of the NBA rule book?

AllDayBreakfast wrote: View Post
                Tyrus Thomas would be nice
                He's getting paid a lot more than Amir but is currently doing little more. Both those guys are overpaid.

Comment

Yep, good point. Forgot about his contract.

Comment

Give Davis 20 more games and 25-28 minutes of consistent playing time and you won't have to worry about the lack of blocks being an issue in the future.

He's a natural shot blocker (without fouling), just have to give the rook a little bit of time.

You can see the refs give him some leeway already and he's early into his career.

Comment

Shot blocking is misunderstood by about 95% of the basketball fans.

1. Attempting to block shots in the paint is the least effective type of interior defense.

2. All good scorers not only know how to score against shot blockers, Howard is the exception but last time I looked there is only one of him in the universe. Not only do they know how to score against them they also know how to draw a fouls against shot blockers almost on every play they take to the basket with the shot blocker defending.

3. It is far better to draw charges fouls in the paint than it is to block shots.

3a. Blocked shots often go out of bounds or are even grabbed in bounds by the shooting team. That does not lead to a turnover, but does give the shooting team a second chance to score on that possession.

3b. Taking a charge always leads to a turnover.

3c. Blocking a shot does not lead to a free throw by the player who blocked the shot.

3d. Taking a charge can lead to free throws if the shooting team is over the limit.

3e. Blocking a shot does not get the shooter out of the game.

3f. Taking a charge creates a foul which may lead to taking the shooter out of the game.

Inside the paint but outside the semi-circle in the paint it is always better to take a charge then block a shot.

Players who block shots often get into foul trouble.

I am not saying that it is not helpful to have shot blockers on the team because there is a use for them which is to alter shots and occasionally block shots giving weak side help.

So what you want is a big man who can

1. Play above average help defense
                      2. Play above average man to man defense
                      3. Be able to hedge successfully
                      4. Be able to adequately defend the pick and roll and slide through plays
                      5. Have good hands
                      6. Have quick feet
                      7. Be strong enough to be able to keep the player he is guarding off of that player's sweet spots
                      8. Be long and tall enough to alter shots
                      9. Be able to successfully take multiple charges during a game.
                      10. Grab rebounds on both offense and defense.
                      11. Pass
                      12. Shoot efficiently.
                      13. Not turn the ball over
                      14. Not foul excessively
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

This team doesn't need to trade for a defensive big, it needs Bargnani to play some defense.
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Reggie Evans People Reggie Evans.. Lets trade for Reggie Evans oh wait I forgot hes on our team.

Comment

I agree that we need a center, a legit center not an undersized one or a PF who is playing out of position. I did spend sometime on who would be best fit for this team and here are my thoughts on it.

AB can not play against physical centers in the NBA, last night Nazer and Kwame had him for lunch. He is not physical enough to play them, always losing his position easily in the paint and unable to box them out. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this but this problem will soon impose itself on the Raptors once they play against the likes of Noah, Bogut, Perkins and Bynum.

What kind of center do we need? My preference is for someone who can play other centers 1-1 w/o giving up size or strength, strong on the boards and can block or alter shots. I don't care much for his offense because as demonstrated earlier when Reggie was starting; the 4 starters (minus Reggie) can score enough to win the game.

Names that come to mind and fit that bill (and are attainable) include; Dalembert, Biedrens and Camby. Dalembert would be perfect if we can get him before the trade deadline as he is an expiring. So we can test the theory of playing AB at the 4 next to a rebounding shot blocking legit 5 w/o having to commit long term resources. Camby has one more year and as rumored The Trail Blazers are looking into shopping their vets. I dont know if he would come here to Toronto, but one thing for sure he will add toughness swagger and help guide the young players that we have. Biedrens, has been shopped by the GSW his contract expires in 2013-2014 (ETO on the last year). He is the least favoured IMO simply becuase of his injury history, but he would be the easiest to get.

One other name that I think would perfectly fit in this Raptors squad but I doubt he is available is Deandre Jordan. He is a young prospect that in the last few games has shown promise on the defensive end of the floor. He does not require the team to run plays for him, most of his points if not all are garbage baskets and hustle. His FG% is respectable (unlike Dalembert who is just <50% from the floor). The one knock on him is his FT 30% something. He is a restricted free agent at the end of the season and I expect many teams to be calling his agent.

Another good and proven defensive big that maybe a possibility is Varijao who is probably the best center in taking charges, contests shots and is on a reasonable contract. Cleveland could be enticed to give him up for the right package, should they continue with the losing streak.

Finally, I want to mention that this coming draft is filled with guards and forwards but is void of bigs. Therfore, my preference would be to trade for a big and draft a SF or a prolific PG next summer.

Comment

Bargnani lol

Comment

Working...
                              X