• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 trades and a draft to make the Raptors legit in less than 2 seasons

Trade 1:

MEM-TOR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=28lzdys

MEM: saves $9.5M next season. Get a prospect back in DeRozan. Can put the saved money towards signing re-signing Gasol and Randolph. It also eliminates a team that should very much be pursuing Calderon (unless trade 2 happened - shhhh! don't tell MEM).

TOR: If DeRozan could ever put up 18-20 ppg everyone would be ecstatic. Mayo has done this since he was a rookie - plus he is a solid three point threat and can create his own shot. He is only 1.5-2 years older than DD. Get him now. Thabeet is probably a duplicate in abilities and prospect status with Alabi but he is 7'2" and it is a relatively short term gamble. Plus if that is the cost of getting Mayo - so be it.

Trade 2

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2coggyk

POR: If Portland decide to make a rash decision and go in to rebuild mode, this trade does not work. However, knowing nobody in the league will take Roy given his knees, I don't think they do that because you can't do a proper rebuild with a max contract player on the roster - please see WSH. If POR does this, they get a pass first PG who can shoot the 3 and takes care of the ball. Roy also made some pretty damaging comments after a loss this week calling out management for having two slow guards (i.e. Miller and himself - he apologized next day). They also get more depth at SG/SF position and they can make a decision if they want to re-sign Weems after the season as he is expiring. POR also gets MIA 1st round draft pick which should be in the 25 range +/- a spot or two.

TOR: Gets an expiring contract in Miller who can now sit behind Bayless - ain't karma a bitch? (just joking). But seriously, it does not throw Bayless to the wolves. They also get a prospect at SF. The biggest part of this deal is getting rid of Calderon's contract.

Toronto then uses their own lottery draft pick to get a wing or PG (preferably a wing).

With these two trades, this is what the Raptors have next season:

Bayless
    Mayo/Barbosa
    (draft)/Kleiza/Babbitt
    Davis/Johnson/Dorsey*
    Bargnani/Thabeet/Alabi

*Re-sign Dorsey for minimum.

Toronto still has $12.2M in TPE to use.

Payroll for next season would be $49M plus lottery pick salary.

**If POR trade could be done without MIA draft pick, even better.**

I like first scenario. unfortunately DD seems not ready to explode... MEM could accept the trade and we get a solid scorer to replace him
    Let's go Raptors!

Comment

i love the first trades because its clear brandon roy doesnt want a ball dominating guard in andre miller, calderon is past first and sonny weems is a good bench player. for the raptors we save about 9 mill in cap and get a good prospect in luke.

idk about the 2nd one because both demar and rudy gay are slashers, memphis mite be looking for a spot up shooter. would love to experiment thabeet

Comment

South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
        i love the first trades because its clear brandon roy doesnt want a ball dominating guard in andre miller, calderon is past first and sonny weems is a good bench player. for the raptors we save about 9 mill in cap and get a good prospect in luke.

idk about the 2nd one because both demar and rudy gay are slashers, memphis mite be looking for a spot up shooter. would love to experiment thabeet
        My thoughts exactly on the first. The only question is does POR want to take on another $9-10M in salary a year and another player with injury history.

Yes, Thabeet would be a nice experient, "Go play D and rebound, that's it." MEM taking on DD would be a duplicate in slashing but Gay can shoot. Henry is the 3 and D 2 guard. I think DD could be a good 6th man for them. That would be up for MEM to decide of course but getting Mayo would be awesome.

Comment

The only problem i see with Oj Majo is his size. He can play well offensively, but when it comes to defense he's lacking a little. He is kind of small for the 2. He would play a real similar role to barbosa and bayless. All three can kind of play the point more or less and all three can play the 2 offensively. I find with on defense though, matched up against players like wade, stephen jackson, kobe... etc they are too small.

Comment

Working...
          X