BC's judgement: good moves, bad moves, moves that don't count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC's judgement: good moves, bad moves, moves that don't count

My friends and I have a never-ending Raptors thread going, and one of them had this rant which I thought was worth posting:

"this is the possibly the worst basketball game i've ever seen played in the NBA.

Amir shoots a 3 with 6 left on the clock midway through the third.........really?

please fire colangelo. I never really thought about lets see the good moves vs bad moves vs moves that shouldn't/cant count towards him.

Moves that don't count:
    1) Resigning bosh the first time, where was he going to go? almost every team is able to keep their young star for the first contract
    2) Jose (already drafted)
    3) Getting sunny and amir and jack in the first place. Basically fell in our lap and was only possible through another employee figuring out how to sign and trade hedo when he was ready to sign him out right and lose the ability to sign Jack and sign and trade delfino.
    4) Drafting Bargnani, the verdict is still out on whether this was good or bad going # 1
    5) trading for O'Neal. wasn't a lot of options out there. if it worked would have been quite the matchup nightmare. It was a move everyone KNEW was a gamble

Moves that were bad:
    1) Resigning a 6-7 thin power forward to 6 million a year who thinks he can shoot threes
    2) Giving Triano coaching reigns during a time when winning really mattered. His fine for right now but we had one year to prove we could be something and gave a virgin coach the job
    3) signing hedo to $12 million. $12!!!!!!!
    4) Signing Fred Jones
    5) Resigning Jose for $8-10 million a year
    6) Signing Jason Kapono
    7) Trading O'Neal to Miami giving them the ability to rape the NBA sideways in free agency
    8) Drafting Ed Davis. Wasn't really anything to think about. BC did what any GM would do and took the best available. We were lucky he fell that low. Anyone with access to a college prospect board would have drafted him.

Moves that were good:
    1) maybe a little early but getting a young pg with potential in bayless and an expiring deal that is good to have, even if it turns into nothing.
    2) Resigning Bargnani to about 9-10 million a year. Pretty fair value contract
    3) trading for delfino for a 2nd round pick
    4) Signing Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbajosa for great fair value deals
    5) Signing Klieza to about 4-5 million a year. Again average NBA value contract for an average player who had a strong showing the year before. This was another gamble where you have to take the chance on a young player with something to prove who has shown he can score well (dropped 40 in denver as a sub). I know hes arguably under performing but I think its still early for him and it's a very easy contract to move.
    6) Firing Sam Mitchell the first real opportunity he had. Had to resign after coach of the year, can't fire a coach of a young team that made the playoffs twice. Gets blown out once in denver and boom.
    7) Trading Bonner for Rasho who proved to be a solid vet.
    8) Trading Jones for Juan Dixon who become a solid role players.
    9) Signing Jarett Jack. Again, good value deal. He should be a good back up point guard throughout the league and gave us insurance if jose had another injury plagued year.
    10) Even though this was really a nothing deal as I said above, at least we ASKED For sonny and amir for delfino.
    11) Trading Charlie V for TJ. We at least made the playoffs while TJ was here.
    12) Ill give him drafting Demar. There were 2 better pg's on the board with jennings and collison but don't think ppl expected collison to be the player he is and with hedo and jack and jose, we didn't need a pg. The rest of the draft was a crap shoot with the exception of Blair.

That was long but what's the verdict? BC has a knack for finding great role players, either through small signings or trading garbage for something. Has no real strengths or weaknesss when it comes to drafting. Tends to just draft the best available. Is very willing to take gamble and cut ties when it doesnt work. Has 0 ability to use Cap wisely and patiently. The moment we have cap room, it has to be used and always over pays players. I honestly feel like anyone who signs here or resigns is overpaid and destined to fail as they cant live up to the contract. What does it all mean, it means he doesn't have the skills to be a development GM. He can take a solid core and make the underrated moves to make them excellent (pretty much what he did with Phoenix). Problem with the raptors is we never had a solid core. we had one great pieces and players we thrusted into roles bigger than what they were."
    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

DarkKnight wrote: View Post
    My friends and I have a never-ending Raptors thread going, and one of them had this rant which I thought was worth posting:

"this is the possibly the worst basketball game i've ever seen played in the NBA.

Amir shoots a 3 with 6 left on the clock midway through the third.........really?

please fire colangelo. I never really thought about lets see the good moves vs bad moves vs moves that shouldn't/cant count towards him.

Moves that don't count:
    1) Resigning bosh the first time, where was he going to go? almost every team is able to keep their young star for the first contract
    2) Jose (already drafted)
    3) Getting sunny and amir and jack in the first place. Basically fell in our lap and was only possible through another employee figuring out how to sign and trade hedo when he was ready to sign him out right and lose the ability to sign Jack and sign and trade delfino.
    4) Drafting Bargnani, the verdict is still out on whether this was good or bad going # 1
    5) trading for O'Neal. wasn't a lot of options out there. if it worked would have been quite the matchup nightmare. It was a move everyone KNEW was a gamble

Moves that were bad:
    1) Resigning a 6-7 thin power forward to 6 million a year who thinks he can shoot threes
    2) Giving Triano coaching reigns during a time when winning really mattered. His fine for right now but we had one year to prove we could be something and gave a virgin coach the job
    3) signing hedo to $12 million. $12!!!!!!!
    4) Signing Fred Jones
    5) Resigning Jose for $8-10 million a year
    6) Signing Jason Kapono
    7) Trading O'Neal to Miami giving them the ability to rape the NBA sideways in free agency
    8) Drafting Ed Davis. Wasn't really anything to think about. BC did what any GM would do and took the best available. We were lucky he fell that low. Anyone with access to a college prospect board would have drafted him.

Moves that were good:
    1) maybe a little early but getting a young pg with potential in bayless and an expiring deal that is good to have, even if it turns into nothing.
    2) Resigning Bargnani to about 9-10 million a year. Pretty fair value contract
    3) trading for delfino for a 2nd round pick
    4) Signing Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbajosa for great fair value deals
    5) Signing Klieza to about 4-5 million a year. Again average NBA value contract for an average player who had a strong showing the year before. This was another gamble where you have to take the chance on a young player with something to prove who has shown he can score well (dropped 40 in denver as a sub). I know hes arguably under performing but I think its still early for him and it's a very easy contract to move.
    6) Firing Sam Mitchell the first real opportunity he had. Had to resign after coach of the year, can't fire a coach of a young team that made the playoffs twice. Gets blown out once in denver and boom.
    7) Trading Bonner for Rasho who proved to be a solid vet.
    8) Trading Jones for Juan Dixon who become a solid role players.
    9) Signing Jarett Jack. Again, good value deal. He should be a good back up point guard throughout the league and gave us insurance if jose had another injury plagued year.
    10) Even though this was really a nothing deal as I said above, at least we ASKED For sonny and amir for delfino.
    11) Trading Charlie V for TJ. We at least made the playoffs while TJ was here.
    12) Ill give him drafting Demar. There were 2 better pg's on the board with jennings and collison but don't think ppl expected collison to be the player he is and with hedo and jack and jose, we didn't need a pg. The rest of the draft was a crap shoot with the exception of Blair.

That was long but what's the verdict? BC has a knack for finding great role players, either through small signings or trading garbage for something. Has no real strengths or weaknesss when it comes to drafting. Tends to just draft the best available. Is very willing to take gamble and cut ties when it doesnt work. Has 0 ability to use Cap wisely and patiently. The moment we have cap room, it has to be used and always over pays players. I honestly feel like anyone who signs here or resigns is overpaid and destined to fail as they cant live up to the contract. What does it all mean, it means he doesn't have the skills to be a development GM. He can take a solid core and make the underrated moves to make them excellent (pretty much what he did with Phoenix). Problem with the raptors is we never had a solid core. we had one great pieces and players we thrusted into roles bigger than what they were."

The Hedouche signing was not a bad signing considering the kind of player he was with Orlando, nobody could forsee his complete imploding with the Raps. Also, trading O'neal for Marion wasnt bad either, unfortunately Marion didnt really want to play in Toronto and that was evident in his attitude but then again leaving sunny Miami would be hard on most players. Finally, drafting Davis is more of a good move considering other GM's passed on him and he could of easily done the same but had the foresight to overlook his injury filled last college season.
    Overall, Bryan has been a pretty good GM and that solid core you mentioned is taking shape as we speak which leaves the future brighter than it has been for a very long time.

Comment

How the fuck was drafting Davis "a bad move"? *scratches head*

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        How the fuck was drafting Davis "a bad move"? *scratches head*
        Yeah.. That's kinda ridiculous. Maybe he meant to put in "Moves that don't count" based on the reasoning he gives.

Comment

Working...
        X