Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stojakovic Likely to Be Bought Out

This via ESPN and the "Weekend Dime".

The Raptors continue to explore possible trades for recently acquired Peja Stojakovic and his expiring $15 million salary, but sources close to the situation say with increasingly regularity that Stojakovic is far more likely to be bought out by Toronto than dealt again.

Financial flexibility to take into the NBA's new frontier of the next labor agreement would appear to appeal more to the Raps than taking on long-term salary.

Stojakovic has played in two games since he was dealt to Toronto in the Jarrett Jack deal on Nov. 20, thanks largely to a troublesome knee, but he's sure to attract interest from multiple contenders if he does make it to the open market as expected.

As long as he's released by March 1, Stojakovic will be eligible to play in the playoffs for another team. It is generally assumed in front-office circles that the Raptors will work with the Serbian sharpshooter if they can't find a trade for him, since Stojakovic had to waive $437,470 of his $1.2 million trade kicker for the salary-cap math to work in the New Orleans/Toronto deal and to allow the Raps to shed the contracts of Jack and Marcus Banks.
    Source - Click here

Another reason this is likely to happen, besides it makes sense for TOR moving forward, is another team would have to pay his contract for the remainder of the year at the pro-rated amount of $15M versus signing him to a minimum contract after a buyout. Also if Toronto is in talks with a team and is considering using Peja's contract, if the contract is less than $12.2M they could just use the TPE combined with smaller expiring contracts like Evans, Wright, Weems, Dorsey - In other words, it saves money for Toronto's trade partner.

Another thing to keep in mind about these types of sources is the weekend Dime had this right after the Peja trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-trade-chatter

Things change. Buyout, trade - who knows. What we do know is Peja will not be a Raptor on March 1st.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Interesting to see what the buyout number the Raptors have in mind. Assuming he gets bought out by the time 60% of the season is played, that means he'll be owed around $6.1M, if the Raptors can buy him out at that point for $5M, then they save a million and allow Peja to sign and play in the playoffs. Win win.

As of today, Peja is owed $10.3 million by the Raps for the rest of the season. I would think the earlier you buy him out, the more money the Raps will save over the course of the season because the difference in buyout/actual is likely to be bigger. Plus, Peja gets to "make up" some of the salary in another contract sooner, and gets PT.

I think this is how it works, I could be wrong. In conclusion, meh.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Another reason this is likely to happen, besides it makes sense for TOR moving forward, is another team would have to pay his contract for the remainder of the year at the pro-rated amount of $15M versus signing him to a minimum contract after a buyout. Also if Toronto is in talks with a team and is considering using Peja's contract, if the contract is less than $12.2M they could just use the TPE combined with smaller expiring contracts like Evans, Wright, Weems, Dorsey - In other words, it saves money for Toronto's trade partner.
        i seem to remember a thread where you went on and on about how valuable peja's expiring contract is worth...

and i believe I said if peja's expiring was so valuable NOH would have gotten more than 2 bench players for it...

now you are saying buying him out and ultimately getting nothing for this contract makes sense for the raps...

let me guess... you will choose one of your typical responses when someone disagrees with you...i have a low basketball iq and am an idiot... i know

Comment

Legalize-It wrote: View Post
          i seem to remember a thread where you went on and on about how valuable peja's expiring contract is worth...

and i believe I said if peja's expiring was so valuable NOH would have gotten more than 2 bench players for it...

now you are saying buying him out and ultimately getting nothing for this contract makes sense for the raps...

let me guess... you will choose one of your typical responses when someone disagrees with you...i have a low basketball iq and am an idiot... i know
          LOL - Welcome back. For the record I never called you an idiot but 100% agreed on the basketball IQ - I said it and from recollection it was deserved. As from my recollection I had numerous insults thrown my way.

As for Peja's contract, either possibilities (buyout or trade) are likely.

What I gave above were reasons why a buyout may be more likely because this thread is about, wait for it, "Stojakovic likely to be bought out".

As the trade deadline approaches, his contract will be more valuable and it is a bargaining chip. A barganing chip permits the holder to use it as he pleases, therefore, it is not necessary for the chip to be used.

Also, if memory serves correct, weren't you one of those ripping on BC for making the trade? How did that turn out anyways? How has Jack's presence been on NOH? How has Bayless worked out for Toronto thus far?
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Can people have discussions here without insulting one another? Christ. It's like preschool here sometimes.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              Can people have discussions here without insulting one another? Christ. It's like preschool here sometimes.
              You are correct. I will be editing my post.

Comment

Does this make sense? It seems like a waste to just cut him loose? Wouldn't we like to improve by trading his contract or are they just saying that if they can't and the trade deadline passes that then they'll buy him out?

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                  Does this make sense? It seems like a waste to just cut him loose? Wouldn't we like to improve by trading his contract or are they just saying that if they can't and the trade deadline passes that then they'll buy him out?
                  If they don't trade him, they don't take anything back for his contract, obviously, but the money off the cap for next year would leave open flexibility in trades or ability to sign FA's.

The quote from BC was because he agreed to take a hit on the trade kicker so the trade could go through, if Peja does not like his role in TOR he would trade him or buy him out.

Comment

id rather buy him out then to take some over payed bum on a long term contract in a trade..BC prob realizes thats all hed really get & thats IF he gets anything at all.... the only teams with enough cap space to absorbe pejas contract without giving equal $ back are def not parting with picks for peja when there not even competing for a playoff spot..

also pejas 15mill comming off the books does not equal 15mill in free cap space... it only frees up the money we spent on JJ.. the saving is the difference between JJ's contract & bayless's contract really since evryone else in the trade are expiring contracts
                    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I would love to see Peja play...I know it may hurt some development, but he is such a great shooter!

Comment

D wrote:
                        also pejas 15mill comming off the books does not equal 15mill in free cap space... it only frees up the money we spent on JJ.. the saving is the difference between JJ's contract & bayless's contract really since evryone else in the trade are expiring contracts
                        Good point. But taking on another $12M in salary - especially if for an over paid player or player who does not fit long term plan of building around youth and athleticism - ties up even more money in an uncertain future with a possible harcap.

Comment

Why not just ride out his contract and if get an offer trade him? Having one of the best 3 point shooters in the history of the league is probably better then nothing.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                            Can people have discussions here without taking the Lord's name in vain? Doc. It's like a construction site here sometimes.

Comment

Where is the emoticon for thumbs-down? Jesus Shit.
                              It's about money

Comment

Working...
                              X