Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Calderon thread

Where are all the haters?

There is no way you can hate his guy this year. You all saw how much of a difference there is when he's playing and when he's not. This why I said in the other thread that you can't bench him for Bayless.

Last 10 games (started 6 games):
    9 Assists a game (6th but everyone above him has averaged more min other then Nash), 1.8 TOs, 13.2 PTs (5.7-9.2) 61.8% FG (#1) and (1.2-2.5) 46% 3PT (#6 for PGs playing more then 25 min).

Full size | Source

Discuss all things Jose in this thread.
    Yes
    26.67%
    No
    20.00%
    Only for a great deal
    20.00%
    Only for an amazing deal
    33.33%
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:26 PM.

I think its Jose's lack of consistency which draws the heaps and heaps of criticism. I don't think most hate Jose. I mean, how can you? The guy is a professional in every sense of the word.

Comment

Great thread.

I was one of those who were looking to trade him. Unfortunately, I still am despite his great play.

Given his injury history, contract, and unknown for new CBA I think it would be wise to try and move him for cap space, young player (wing or big), or draft picks.

I'm not sure his game can go much higher. If he can stay healthy for another couple of months, a team needing an upgrade at PG or a different type of PG might want to take him on.

It is a lot easier to trade a player when his perceived value is high versus low - obviously. Trying to trade Jose this summer was a good indicator of that.

Though it should be said, if he had JJ's contract, I would never consider trading him.

Comment

i like healthy Jose... its hammy pull Jose im not too fond of LOL

i dont see him being here for much longer but ive always liked his passion for the game & his team spirit... hes a general on the floor & when healthy is a very good PG not great but very good...his D isnt the greatest. but been improved this year for sure..

with his recent play im not sure if it makes it easier or harder for BC to trade him...obviously more teams will be intersted but our team never looked to good in his absence.. turn overs & lack of ball movement were an issue

Comment

I like Jose, and when he is healthy he is one of the best in the league at running an offense. If he were to stay healthy and play at this level for the rest of his career, he would be worth his current contract and probable more. The risk is if he pulls his hamstring again and regresses to last year's Jose, he becomes an Albatross. I would trade him if it brought back some really good pieces (rotation player + pick) but I'd rather keep him around and see if he can stay healthy than trade him to clear cap.

The other issue is that as well as Bayless scores, he is not ready to run an offense consistently so I'm not sure what we'd do for a starting point.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Jose shouldn't be traded unless the offer is too good to refuse, the guy is classy on and off the court.

The thing that stands out for me on those stats are those turnovers, to average 9 assists and less than 2 turnovers is quite a feat, but maybe that isn't a good thing to be too conservative, if he took more risks he would be putting up Nash type numbers easily.

Comment

Jose is a great floor leader when healthy. He keeps defenders honest with his shot and has great vision and leadership when running the floor. His assist to turn-over ratio has always been around the leagues best he's always been active in the passing lanes. His defense could improve significantly, but he uses his smarts to make up for what he lacks as best he can. When you really break it down though, the Roses, Rondos and Pauls of the league are going to blow by any defender.

I think the only really big issue you have to consider with Jose is his health, he's an outstanding professional in every other aspect of the game.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Great thread.

I was one of those who were looking to trade him. Unfortunately, I still am despite his great play.

Given his injury history, contract, and unknown for new CBA I think it would be wise to try and move him for cap space, young player (wing or big), or draft picks.

I'm not sure his game can go much higher. If he can stay healthy for another couple of months, a team needing an upgrade at PG or a different type of PG might want to take him on.

It is a lot easier to trade a player when his perceived value is high versus low - obviously. Trying to trade Jose this summer was a good indicator of that.

Though it should be said, if he had JJ's contract, I would never consider trading him.
                I'd rather hang on to him unless its an amazing deal. We have no one who can replace him at this time. I don't want to go through the pain of watching the offense try to run without him again.

Comment

This brings me back to my first ever thread on this forum, which was Jose vs. Jack, in which I supported Calderon because of his basic PG skills and instincts. We all know a Calderon from 2007 would help any team, and he is going back to those standards.

Comment

He's a good person to hopefully teach Bayless how to become a better facilitator. Plus the dude loves the city and we love him, I say when it comes time to resign him, if he can still play well enough to come off the bench then (assuming Bayless develops or we get another PG), we sign him to a veterans minimum. He really doesn't seem like he'd play in another city for more money.

Comment

Working...
                    X