Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grizzlies Scouts Recently in Attendance at Raptors Games

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grizzlies Scouts Recently in Attendance at Raptors Games

This is a couple days old already, but nevertheless news.

As @beezersun points out, Grizzlies director of pro scouting took in his second straight #raptors game today. Grizz/Raps not until 27th

So kind of weird he is here for two games. Memphis apparently shopping Thabeet hard and Raps need a true centre ...
    Thabeet eh? Big kid who's very raw. Anyone think the Raps should take a shot at him?

Source - Click here

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year's numbers look very good. Exactly the opposite of what Bargnani does. It's nice to see the Raps recognize that Bargs is not a 5. But "Big kid who's very raw."? The Raps already have that player. Not sure they need another one.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Last year's numbers look very good. Exactly the opposite of what Bargnani does. It's nice to see the Raps recognize that Bargs is not a 5. But "Big kid who's very raw."? The Raps already have that player. Not sure they need another one.
    That.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Even BC was quoted a couple of years ago as saying that you can't have too many "projects" on one NBA roster. Our roster is overflowing with projects already. Not just young guys like Bayless, Weems, Davis, Alabi, Dorsey & DD still trying to find their way in the NBA, but also career bench guys like Amir, Kleiza & Reggie trying to prove they can be starters and even Bargs trying to prove he can carry a franchise and play defense. What's that - 10 project players right there?

You can argue that only Calderon and Barbosa can actually perform the roles that are expected of them, consistently. If anything, we need a few solid vets that know how to play the right way to mentor these guys. Even so, the total number of projects has to be pared down, or you'll have players learning bad habits from other players who are still developing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Even BC was quoted a couple of years ago as saying that you can't have too many "projects" on one NBA roster. Our roster is overflowing with projects already. Not just young guys like Bayless, Weems, Davis, Alabi, Dorsey & DD still trying to find their way in the NBA, but also career bench guys like Amir, Kleiza & Reggie trying to prove they can be starters and even Bargs trying to prove he can carry a franchise and play defense. What's that - 10 project players right there?

You can argue that only Calderon and Barbosa can actually perform the roles that are expected of them, consistently. If anything, we need a few solid vets that know how to play the right way to mentor these guys. Even so, the total number of projects has to be pared down, or you'll have players learning bad habits from other players who are still developing.
    Jose is also technically a project by your definition. He's still trying to prove he can play D.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Jose is also technically a project by your definition. He's still trying to prove he can play D.
    Yeah, I was debating that too, but I give Jose a pass this year because his defense has truly improved. The effort is better and it reflects in DRtg, where he surprisingly has the best rating of perimeter players and also shows up in on/off rating where the team is better defensively when he is on the court. A stunning reversal of the last few seasons.

The other obvious problem with so many projects is - where do find the minutes to develop all these guys?

Raptors Republic Rookie daveyboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it make as much sense if the Raps were talking to the Grizz about OJ Mayo?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Alabi has more upside.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote daveyboy wrote: View Post
    Wouldn't it make as much sense if the Raps were talking to the Grizz about OJ Mayo?
    I don't understand the infatuation with OJ Mayo. Undersized combo guard, ball-sticker and a bit of a chucker. Hot and cold. Classic sixth man material - like Jamal Crawford. We already have Barbosa and Bayless for that role.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what they say, "When there's smoke, there's fire". Yea, the scout being here for a reason is not by accident. I do think that Memphis is shopping Thabeet and only Thabeet. I also think that the scout was perhaps heavy on looking at Alabi as well in his 6 minutes of action. This may be a case of Center swap but the players attached (the key centerpieces) to them will be interesting. I'm not sure if management is ready to back-up Mayo either. It seems like they're grooming Xavier Henry as the starting SG / SF (a duplication of skill and at a cheaper price). I think that Memphis being a small market team cannot afford to hold on to their guys (Gasol and ZBo). Something may be in the works and this is outside of the fact that I think Thabeet has yet to fully realize his potential. I just don't want this to turn into Roy Hibbert 2.0 situation where the Raps drafted him, never looked at his potential and trades him to another team, then flourishes. Hibbert I might add was a lot less talented when he came out of college than Thabeet did. You can't teach height, but everything else might come in with the right tutelage.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With Thabeet and Amir on the floor at the same time, Raptors could probably break an NBA record for most fouls committed in 60 seconds.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if Alabi and Thabeet are at the same level. Thabeet seems to be at a higher level than Alabi and maybe it's because Alabi is just way too nice of a guy to be a Mutombo kind of character. People need to be scared of your center and how can you be scared of someone who smiles that much. I'm not that involved with Memphis but I rarely seem Thabeet smile

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't trade amir but kleiza could go

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thabeet has a whole lot more upside than Alabi. I'm not sure what his problem is, there's been a lot of talk about his effort on and off the court.

As a comparison, Grizz coach got fed up with Thabeet and sent him to the D-League last year. If I remember correctly he had a couple monster games and played pretty good. Might be just the type of player that needs a kick in the ass.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    This is a couple days old already, but nevertheless news.

Thabeet eh? Big kid who's very raw. Anyone think the Raps should take a shot at him?

Source - Click here
    Thabeet is softer than butter left in the summer sun for two hours.

In addition he has no offense whatsoever.

He will be a bigger bust than Darko. You can bank on it.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Thabeet is softer than butter left in the summer sun for two hours.

In addition he has no offense whatsoever.

He will be a bigger bust than Darko. You can bank on it.
    Darko is far from a bust. He wasn't giving an opportunity before this season. He has is one of the best blocker this season and his offensive game is getting better after every game.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Thabeet has a whole lot more upside than Alabi. I'm not sure what his problem is, there's been a lot of talk about his effort on and off the court.

As a comparison, Grizz coach got fed up with Thabeet and sent him to the D-League last year. If I remember correctly he had a couple monster games and played pretty good. Might be just the type of player that needs a kick in the ass.
    You dont really think that he would get a kick in the ass in TO do you? "No sir, we are Canadian" seems to be taken quite seriously here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

if BC is smart he wont take any deal from memphis that will save them any money...

we need a C rite now, n gasol is one of the few young centres who might be available...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to think who else was on his college team. Thabeet and.... can't remember if it was a point guard but the two of them really stood out in the college games that i seen. I remember watching a couple games and was impressed with his athleticism for a guy his height. He moved very well for a big man. He had the 'hunger' too it seemed.

I was disappointed that Thabeet hasn't gotten any burn in the NBA yet, I think. They shipped him right to the D-League right? I guess he's gotta put the pounds on before teams wants his services. I mean Keon Clark found his niche for his Bone-Rack frame. I guess Thabeet knowledge of the game must be lacking if they couldn't find some time in the NBA rotation.

I think the kid could be GOOD.... but I haven't seen him play with the big boys yet! I'm open to a taking a good look at him. We should be just focusing on acquiring assets in this REBUILD time buy trading UP if we can and he fits the bill if you *don't* give up too much. He's not what we need, but IF the Toronto organization thinks we could defiantly benefit in the long run...well... we are in a long term 2-3yr rebuild anyway.

So...depends on what we give up for him. He's def a top 10 pick, Height/Athleticism/Hunger were things I really noticed in the 2-3 game I seen.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd do Thabeet for Weems. Or even Thabeet, Allen and Mayo for Weems, Dorsey and Evans.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information