No announcement yet.

It doesn't look good for the next 2 weeks, will Triano job be in jeopardy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can people please stop making these thread? Triano has been doing his job all season, the Raptors really believe in what he's saying and give it their 100% most games. There is no way Triano is getting fired especially when everyone knows this is a rebuilding year with a bunch of inexperienced young players.

BTW Raptors are playing beyond expectation and have a 10-20 so far, most people thought this team was going to win 15-20 wins all season.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      When the Bobcats trade was occurring, IMO BC was still operating under make the playoffs etc. etc. When that trade did not go down, I think it took a couple of weeks, but BC finally conceded re-tool, re-build, whatever you, me, or he wants to call it.

Despite the impressive showing last night vs DAL, I think this team is more than capable of a top 5 pick. If they can't get one, how bad does a team have to be to get one? Also, there is no guarantee getting a top 5 pick improves the team - look at PHI, WSH, NJ, SAC. Personally, I'd rather be in the Raptors situation versus all of them - except possibly NJ because of the picks, cap space, and couple of pieces they do have (although that Travis Outlaw contract is ridiculous - makes Amir look almost really good).

I agree with the Ed Davis comment but patience is needed. He came off a long lay off with a broken wrist, played summer league, busted his knee, missed training camp and the first 15/16 games of the season. Overplaying at this stage might not be good for his health or development/confidence. Last night he did play 31 - hopefully it is a start of 25-30 mins a night.

I think where we disagree is on the signings and total tear down of the team. I don't mind the signings because, while the guys aren't starters, they are good role players to have on a team. This team has the depth but not the stars to go in front of them. This is why I think, again only my opinion, the re-build/re-tool won't go on for years. To totally rip the team apart would not guarantee future superstars and would take much longer to become relevant.
      amir was signed way before ed davis was injured

top 5 or top 10 draft picks are already hard to get, why make getting them harder by signing kleiza

look at the teams with franchise players, and tell me how many of them were drafted beyond the top 10

or look at teams that have consistently made the playoffs, and tell me how many of their players were drafted outside of the top 10

you mite have a really bad record for a year or two, but in that year or two, your core players develop, and you get better odds of finding a gem in the draft

if its hard to sign free agents in toronto, then giving yourself the best chance of landing a good player through the draft makes the most sense ?

finishing 9th or 10th in the conference beats all our expectations and makes for some exciting basketball, but it is almost the surest way to never being a contender...

Comment

Legalize-It wrote: View Post
        amir was signed way before ed davis was injured

top 5 or top 10 draft picks are already hard to get, why make getting them harder by signing kleiza

look at the teams with franchise players, and tell me how many of them were drafted beyond the top 10

or look at teams that have consistently made the playoffs, and tell me how many of their players were drafted outside of the top 10

you mite have a really bad record for a year or two, but in that year or two, your core players develop, and you get better odds of finding a gem in the draft

if its hard to sign free agents in toronto, then giving yourself the best chance of landing a good player through the draft makes the most sense ?

finishing 9th or 10th in the conference beats all our expectations and makes for some exciting basketball, but it is almost the surest way to never being a contender...
        I'm not sure where Amir signing before Davis' injury came in to it.

Franchise players drafted 10 or higher:

Kobe (13), Pierece (10), Joe Johnson (traded twice, but drafted 10), Granger (17), Gerald Wallace (25)/Stephen Jackson (43), Duncan carried Spurs for years but now Manu (57) and Parker (28), Nash (15), Randolph (19 - although Gay (8) would probably be considered Franchise player in MEM), Ellis (40)/David Lee (30), Jennings (10 - arguably with Bogut (1)), *before trade* Arenas (31)/Blatche (49) future is Wall, of course (1) but they are bad now, Martin (26)/Scola (56), Lopez (10).

Franchise players drafted 5-9:

Wade (5), Josh Smith (17 - arguably with JJ), Stoudemire (9), Harris (5)/Lopez (10), Iguodala (9), Nowitzki (9), Gay (8), Curry (7), Roy (6), Allen (5), Garnett (5), Love (5)

Franchise players drafted 1-4:
        LBJ (1), Rose (should be noted Bulls totally lucked out were suppose to draft 9 that year), Howard (2), Bogut (1), Bargnani (1), Wall (1), Duncan (1), Williams (3), Durant (2), Carmelo (3), Paul (4), Aldridge (4), Yao (1), Griffin (1)/Davis (3 - not anymore), Evans (4), Beasley (2).

Nobody from Detroit or Cleveland for obvious reasons.

What I notice is there are very few bonafide franchise players out there (those that are are bolded) rather mainly there are a lot of all-stars and borderline all-stars as the best player on a team. Most of those players are in the 1-4 range but that is because it is rare for a player to develop in to a franchise player without being identified as a super talent early (Nash). It is also noticeable the top 4 is a total luck of the draw as well and nothing is guaranteed between injuries, players inner circle/work ethic/desire, and team environment.

Another thing I noticed is there are a lot of very good players picked 5-10. I think the Raptors are doing the right thing - put as many pieces needed for a good team and hope BC can get back to his draft success in Phoenix and success picking up low first round draft picks/unknown talents via trade. Even the worst teams in the league are not guaranteed the #1 pick - actually the worst team rarely gets it, it would seem to me from recent memory.

"you mite have a really bad record for a year or two, but in that year or two, your core players develop, and you get better odds of finding a gem in the draft"

This is an idealized situation but after watching MIN, SAC, LAC, GSW, and other annual bottom feeders continue to draft high year after year with little success, I don't like the gamble of placing all the chips on a high draft pick nor the risk of creating a losing culture. At least the Raptors of recent years have been competitive and at least challenging for a playoff spot.

The way the Raptors are currently assembled there is a much greater chance of creating a solid Detroit Pistons-style team of the mid-2000's versus get a superstar and build around him. Personally I would rather have the Pistons style team as one great player cannot do it by themselves as LBJ showed in CLE. Even MJ showed by having a solid team around him for all of the Bulls championship teams one player can't do it by himself. HOWEVER, my absolute preference would to be put a superstar on a solid team but I'm trying to be realistic.

This is all my opinion - I respect yours as you do raise a couple of valid points. In no way am I attempting to disrespect.

Comment

If the Raptors beat Houston tomorrow who will start on Sunday against Boston assuming all of the players who started vs Dallas are healthy enough to start on Sunday?
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Triano's job is to just teach. This season is a learning one. If we can get some wins out of it, that would be fantastic, but the idea of this season is for the young guys to get some playing time and to grow and develop as they learn the ins and outs.
            Even if the Raps lost every game for the next two weeks, Triano wouldn't lose his job.
            I concur fully with MangoKid. When the Chandler trade fell thru, that was BC's final push to make this team a playoff contender and that fully signalled this season was gonna be about rebuild.

Jay Triano's main job this season is to teach this young roster how to play and how to be professionals. Winning occassionally is a bonus. Firing JT will serve no purpose as the new coach coming in will have the same issues with this roster. This roster is made up of players that would be 2nd or third string players on playoff teams so try not to be dellusional into thinking a new coach would make this team a playoff team.

The fact that this team is only 11-20 and has managed to beat some top teams is a testament to JT's coaching abilities, especially coaching one of the youngest teams in the league.

Comment

Triano's job is safe. You can't fire a coach in a rebuilding year for anything other than lack of effort, and that's not a problem with this team.

Comment

Forge wrote: View Post
                I concur fully with MangoKid. When the Chandler trade fell thru, that was BC's final push to make this team a playoff contender and that fully signalled this season was gonna be about rebuild.

Jay Triano's main job this season is to teach this young roster how to play and how to be professionals. Winning occassionally is a bonus. Firing JT will serve no purpose as the new coach coming in will have the same issues with this roster. This roster is made up of players that would be 2nd or third string players on playoff teams so try not to be dellusional into thinking a new coach would make this team a playoff team.

The fact that this team is only 11-20 and has managed to beat some top teams is a testament to JT's coaching abilities, especially coaching one of the youngest teams in the league.
                Here is a different opinion from the Picket Fence

Winning The Right Way

Posted on December 29, 2010

A quick look at Amir’s stats won’t impress, but if anyone who has had back spasms can tell you, going out and playing the way he did, and playing a game and season high 42 minutes, is truly impressive. The guy hustled, defended and did everything he needed to do for the Raptors to win. It’s games like this that highlight why I believe that Amir is the most important player on the Raptors, and the only player on the roster, currently, who I can see starting on a Championship team. More on that in a future post.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  Triano's job is safe. You can't fire a coach in a rebuilding year for anything other than lack of effort, and that's not a problem with this team.
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X