Thread: 17, 12, 3 & 3 in 28 minutes = Ed Davis

Raptors Republic Rookie philwill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 17, 12, 3 & 3 in 28 minutes = Ed Davis

So... why did we ride a banged up Amir Johnson for 12,6,2 & 1 in 42 minutes when Dorsey was playing fine?

Great game for Ed, but why didn't he play more in the third when he was the most efficient player in the first half?

Why was Kleiza so mad about the call when he seemed so clearly to be traveling after the hop-step?
    It's about money

Post Thanks / Like

Davis played well, but stats are not the only thing that matter, offensive cohesion and defensive rotations are important as well. Also, Amir may have seized up if he sat and cooled off, it may have been better for him to stay warm and play all those minutes.

Raptors Republic Rookie the_aftermath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza's anger was building up. You could see him get more and more pissed off after each whistle. Granted he deserved most of those whistles...

Post Thanks / Like

Davis had a great game for sure. He's obviously still raw, but it's good to see that he is at least capable of having big games. Nice team effort overall.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say he is now rounding into game shape. Go ED!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time...

Ed played those minutes b/c of matchups...and I think he was out of position on a number of defensive plays in a row.

Also, Amir needed to stay warm.

As for Kleiza, he was getting ridden into the lane and was not getting the benefit of the call. Delaney swallowed his whistle a number of times. Kleiza felt the travel was the result of several shoves. I happened to agree with him. I even think a well placed technical can be useful. (Not two though).

The problem lies in the fact that the Raptors got the benefit of those calls as well. I guess basically I would say it is the job of the coach to tell Kleiza to shut up and play, b/c the calls are going both ways. Then quietly get in the ear of the ref that his players need the obvious ones called.

Awesome game.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Davis an wright were amazing and last night is the type of basketball I want to see on the raps.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned by others, the technicals were a result of previous reaches and pushes as he attempted to drive. YOu could see the frustration building. The first T, OK, I can live with it but he second was so stupid and selfish - even if he was talking to the bench, you shut up in this new era of officiating when they say, "Enough."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why Kleiza was so mad - he does that shitty hop step and gets called for travelling at least once a game. And it's obvious that it's travelling. You'd think he would have remedied it by now

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've watched that replay pretty closely a fair amount, and it was a clear travel and it does take place on a regular basis. I get pretty frustrated with him sometimes because, it's true, he does travel in almost the identical way nearly every time I see a game. I'd be curious to know how many games he's been called for a travel this season. I know it's tough to readjust after the FIBA allowances and other allowances in foreign professional leagues, but should it take 30 games?

I enjoy when he performs, but this is exactly how he tries to do too much -- flashy offensive drives destined to fail because they are violations when they don't lead to turnovers.
    It's about money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Davis played well, but stats are not the only thing that matter, offensive cohesion and defensive rotations are important as well. Also, Amir may have seized up if he sat and cooled off, it may have been better for him to stay warm and play all those minutes.
    Yeah, right! During his time on the floor, we were killing it offensively and defensively.
    It's about money

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're giving him the benefit of the doubt a bit too much here -- he traveled and reacted.
    It's about money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gusser wrote: View Post
    and I think he was out of position on a number of defensive plays in a row.

Awesome game.
    Sure, he may have been out of rotation on a couple (as most rookies, and almost all of our veterans are on a regular basis), but definitely not multiple plays in a row, unless that led to weak side blocks or steals on gambles. If that's the case, you complain about those when they don't work out in your favour.

When players are out of position, they don't generally grab that many boards, and, certainly, not on the offensive end that quickly.
    It's about money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote philwill wrote: View Post
    Sure, he may have been out of rotation on a couple (as most rookies, and almost all of our veterans are on a regular basis), but definitely not multiple plays in a row, unless that led to weak side blocks or steals on gambles. If that's the case, you complain about those when they don't work out in your favour.

When players are out of position, they don't generally grab that many boards, and, certainly, not on the offensive end that quickly.
    1. He was out of position several posessions in a row. It's just a fact.
    2. As a coach, I don't look at the outcome, I look at the process. I don't care if the outcome was good, I want good fundamentals.
    3. I don't complain, I explain.
    4. I can't explain while he is on the floor.

I am not an NBA coach obviously, so I wouldn't know how to deal w/ veterans who are out of position (Bargnani). However, when a rook does it over and over, I would guess that you sit him and let the ass't explain the process to him, then let him go back.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tbh I don't remember him being out of position during that game, maybe once or twice. Davis and wright changed many shots during that game, seriously they held Dallas to under 100 pts and beat Dallas at home for the first time in a decade +

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gusser wrote: View Post
    1. He was out of position several posessions in a row. It's just a fact.
    2. As a coach, I don't look at the outcome, I look at the process. I don't care if the outcome was good, I want good fundamentals.
    3. I don't complain, I explain.
    4. I can't explain while he is on the floor.

I am not an NBA coach obviously, so I wouldn't know how to deal w/ veterans who are out of position (Bargnani). However, when a rook does it over and over, I would guess that you sit him and let the ass't explain the process to him, then let him go back.
    Yeah, well, anyway -- some of the least compelling arguments are built without evidence ("it's just a fact") and demands that they are taken as truths ("it's just a fact"). As a coach, you should learn a little bit about explaining things.

He's got a reasonably high defensive IQ (touted by most draft boards, his previous coach, and even the announcers get it right -- one of whom being the shitty Canadian National Team coach) and he did a fantastic job recovering for others on help defense, and was left out to dry when teammates didn't rotate to help out with his assignment, which is something that you would generally expect from Bargnani, but is also something Kleiza struggles with.

I was watching the rotations pretty closely too, and I saw great help defense and active hands, and minor blips of lapses in awareness, so, unless you can provide us with some factual evidence that you have deconstructed every single one of their defensive sets and are able to spot multiple missed rotations by a player commonly referred to as a strong defensive player, then I call bullshit. When DeRozan suffers from a case of the brainfarts, he gets a quick hook (albeit, not always quick enough), so I would expect that the coach who draws up the plays would witness these same glaring errors as you have and make sure to let Davis know about them.
    It's about money

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Philwill you hit a sore point with me I love Jack Armstrong , I hate Leo the mouth who is always right, always correcting, always nagging, like a woman, they should do this they, should do that, the mouth is so negative..
    I think I will turn off the sound from
    now on when he is the so called color man.

Now Jack is funny, happy, colorful,enjoyable,and knows basketball.

I want to start a poll who do you want Jack or Leo ???

Post Thanks / Like

Neither. Jack's got a horrible voice for announcing and Leo's a pretty boy who has effectively run the National Team into the ground.
    It's about money

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who thinks Jack is wasted by the end of every game?

Post Thanks / Like

How could we not think that way when his partner is constantly leading us to believe that.
    It's about money

Thread Information