Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Tpe

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Tpe

    If this is suppose to be in the trade forum - sorry but I'm sure someone will move it.


    There are a few rumours going around that CLE is holding their TPE with the intention of using it to help facilitate a trade between NJ and DEN. CLE is, reportedly, willing to take on salary (my assumption is Troy Murphy's expiring $11.9M contract) in exchange for a first round pick of which NJ has their own this year and next, LAL this year, GSW next year, and HOU next year (a total of 5 picks for '11 and '12).

    DEN is approximately $12.4M over the luxury tax. Any trade that brings back $12.4M less would save them a dollar for dollar tax and they would gain a few more million by being a part of the group of teams under the luxury tax who divy up the luxury tax from those above.

    I know NJ is in the same division as TOR but it would appear that Carmelo is going to end up in NJ or NY next season anyways. Personally, I'd rather see him in NJ than NYK to team with Amar'e, Felton, and D'Antoni's system.

    I am also aware TOR only has $12.2M of TPE left and DEN would still be over but given their assets, they would easily be able to make a trade to rid themselves of $500K.

    So my question is: if you were BC would you try and bump CLE from any trade discussion to obtain one of the first round picks NJ has this year or next?

    *EDIT* TOR would then have to shed around $5-6M to get themselves under the luxury tax.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 at 05:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie Lucamacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kitchener. ON
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    source?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yes i would... even if it meant being in the luxury tax for this season...

    who knows that 1st round pick could end up being a future mvp...

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lucamacus wrote: View Post
    source?
    For what? A google search would find whatever your are looking for almost as easy as replying 'source'.

    I can only make assumptions here:


    Cavs Interested in Andray Blatche

    A week ago, we said that Washington could potentially look into moving forward Andray Blatche now that Rashard Lewis has been brought to D.C., and a report by the News-Herald's Bob Finnan suggests that the Wizards are, in fact, fielding offers for their team's leading scorer.

    The team currently showing interest is the Cleveland Cavaliers, who clearly are going nowhere fast and should be active at this year's trade deadline with Antawn Jamison, Mo Williams, and the traded player exception they got in the LeBron sign-and-trade. While it appears as though the Cavs are holding on to the TPE in the hopes of eeking out a first-round pick as a third team in an eventual Carmelo Anthony deal, there hasn't been any other clues as to what the Cavs would throw the Wizards' way to match up with Blatche's $6 million contract. It could be anybody, since nobody on the roster has played so well as to be untouchable.

    Also according to Finnan, the Cavaliers are interested in New Jersey's Devin Harris, whose contract is very similar to that of Mo Williams. It' s hard to imagine that Jersey couldn't get more out of Harris than that—if they end up trading him at all—but Cleveland's interest shows their willingness to make a deal (or even a few deals) in a much-needed effort to shake things up.


    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz19vGg2nJs

    As for the Troy Murphy bit that is also an educated guess based on salary numbers, luxury tax rules, and draft picks owned by NJ.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So far Toronto TPE's appears to be fool's gold.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    So far Toronto TPE's appears to be fool's gold.
    'So far' being the key words. Leading up to February 24th teams are going to know where they stand and players will start moving due to financial or future concerns i.e. there will be a number of teams writing off the season. Also, even if the TPE is not used by then it could be VERY useful at the draft.

    Call me optimistic or a victim of OD'ing on the MLSE Kool-Aid or whatever but it is usually with the pressure of a deadline (trade or draft) that most deals are consumated.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Legalize-It wrote: View Post
    yes i would... even if it meant being in the luxury tax for this season...

    who knows that 1st round pick could end up being a future mvp...
    Not only that but there appears (appears being the key word) some decent players at the long end of the draft.

    Demetri Mccamey: a senior shooting 51% FG and 51% from the 3 while averaging 7 assists a game and is 6'3", 200lbs.

    Chris Singleton: 6'9" defensive freak who has steadily increased offensive numbers while averaging over 2 blocks and 2 steals a game (nbadraft.net has him at 32 but draftexpress has him at 16).

    Kemba Walker is being placed anywhere from a lottery to mid first round pick (hopefully he is not another Khalid El-Amin).

    Alec Burks is a scorer and anywhere from high lottery to lower end of mid first round.

    Jordan Hamilton is another scoring wing who can rebound and create for others being projected mid first round.

    Tyler Honeycutt is another wing being projected from anywhere 8 to 14 to 18 to 26.

    The four sites I use for looking at draft projections are:

    http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft
    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/the_draft/FullMockDraft.asp
    http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm (not updated frequently until later in the year)

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    maybe the TPE started out as a vital piece in the Bosh "trade" but now that the youth movement is pretty much a-go, the TPE is probably gonna turn into a save-face piece for BC, something to show for what turned out to be the Bosh squabble.

    at least he can tell people, hey at least we got something in return for Bosh.

    IMO, try to use the TPE to acquire more pieces to further the youth movement. a young defensive center or an up and coming wing. if it doesnt work out, who cares.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    maybe the TPE started out as a vital piece in the Bosh "trade" but now that the youth movement is pretty much a-go, the TPE is probably gonna turn into a save-face piece for BC, something to show for what turned out to be the Bosh squabble.

    at least he can tell people, hey at least we got something in return for Bosh.

    IMO, try to use the TPE to acquire more pieces to further the youth movement. a young defensive center or an up and coming wing. if it doesnt work out, who cares.
    I hear what you are saying, but facilitating a trade that could net a potential lottery pick (NJ's own pick, GSW 2012 pick) would do what you are saying eventually.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    use the tpe and get granger. do it.

  11. #11
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If this is suppose to be in the trade forum - sorry but I'm sure someone will move it.


    There are a few rumours going around that CLE is holding their TPE with the intention of using it to help facilitate a trade between NJ and DEN. CLE is, reportedly, willing to take on salary (my assumption is Troy Murphy's expiring $11.9M contract) in exchange for a first round pick of which NJ has their own this year and next, LAL this year, GSW next year, and HOU next year (a total of 5 picks for '11 and '12).

    DEN is approximately $12.4M over the luxury tax. Any trade that brings back $12.4M less would save them a dollar for dollar tax and they would gain a few more million by being a part of the group of teams under the luxury tax who divy up the luxury tax from those above.

    I know NJ is in the same division as TOR but it would appear that Carmelo is going to end up in NJ or NY next season anyways. Personally, I'd rather see him in NJ than NYK to team with Amar'e, Felton, and D'Antoni's system.

    I am also aware TOR only has $12.2M of TPE left and DEN would still be over but given their assets, they would easily be able to make a trade to rid themselves of $500K.

    So my question is: if you were BC would you try and bump CLE from any trade discussion to obtain one of the first round picks NJ has this year or next?

    *EDIT* TOR would then have to shed around $5-6M to get themselves under the luxury tax.
    Here's something to consider with the whole Melo saga. The Nuggets GM was part of the Raptors organization last year...

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    So far Toronto TPE's appears to be fool's gold.
    Right now it is certainly appearing that way. It looks to be a more valuable to the company as a cost cutting measure and a hedge against the CBA fallout, than a tool to make the team better. It certainly allowed for damage control when the three headed monster was mercilessly mangling the people of Ohio and Canada.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 4th, 2011 at 02:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Here's something to consider with the whole Melo saga. The Nuggets GM was part of the Raptors organization last year...
    Most would know that - I hope! ha. What context do you say it though? That he won't go through a CB4 scenario or him being buddy buddy with BC would give the Raptors a leg up?

  13. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Most would know that - I hope! ha.
    Not so sure. The casual fan might have totally missed it and it wasn't mentioned in here. It could be an important detail though and so this is why I'm bringing it up.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What context do you say it though? That he won't go through a CB4 scenario or him being buddy buddy with BC would give the Raptors a leg up?
    My thoughts are that:

    A.) He can turn to Colangelo for advice and can learn from the mistakes mades within the Raptors organization. The mere fact that he's not gambling on Melo staying says a whole lot. The guy is being proactive and aggressive about the situation.

    B.) If he knows any group of players well in the NBA it's the Raptors. He may want some of those pieces in rebuilding the Nuggets.

    C.) The fact that he's so close with Raptors brass probably won't buying either side a bargain but it could be placing them in much closer communication than other people who want in on the party. If Cleveland and Toronto are offering up similar assets, who's he going to deal with?

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think MLSE's not gonna want to pick up any added salary with a lockout looming. I think the TPE is gonna fall by the wayside and it not going to be used - same goes for the expirings of Evans and Stojakovic. I mean, I'd love it if we could use it in a package for Casspi and Garcia, but I really don't think it will be utilized.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I think MLSE's not gonna want to pick up any added salary with a lockout looming. I think the TPE is gonna fall by the wayside and it not going to be used - same goes for the expirings of Evans and Stojakovic. I mean, I'd love it if we could use it in a package for Casspi and Garcia, but I really don't think it will be utilized.
    Cap space is good for 2 things: free agency and making trades easier.

    As much as it pains me to say it, I do not believe the Raptors will be players in free agency.

    The only way for this team to get better is through the draft and through trades. It is because of this that if a trade comes along that adds salary BUT makes them a better team, Colangelo will not have a hard time selling it to MLSE.

    I really don't know what the new CBA will bring but if it is a hard salary cap, I do not think it will be below $60M. 21 of the 30 teams in the league have payrolls over $64M, 10 have a payroll over $69M, and 5 are over $80M.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lucamacus wrote: View Post
    source?
    source=his head.

    how many j's did you smoke?

    @matt52 plus, rumour is and my strong belief is if the suns put steve nash on the block, the knicks will put a strong offer on the table.

    which, i'll be happy for nash, but nash,melo and amare this season they're prolly better than the heat and lakers or close...

    which, this raptors season is at a loss anyways so not that it really matters but i'd like to hold that off for a year... or longer
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looks like there may have been more truth to the rumours than originally reported - or not.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ssed-melo-deal

    "Beyond the sticking point of Anthony accepting or refusing to sign the long-term extension with New Jersey, the deal fell apart because both Denver and Cleveland wanted the 2012 first-round pick the Nets got from Golden State in the Marcus Williams trade. That pick is protected through the first seven slots."

    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...#ixzz1ANVMPoTa

    I can only imagine the first round pick offered to CLE was the Lakers first round pick. The HOU pick is lottery protected until 2016. NJ's pick this year would most likely be going to the Nuggets.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •