Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The one that got away...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    why would we draft another pf?
    Why did they draft Ed Davis? Best player on the board, in their opinion and mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Why did they draft Ed Davis? Best player on the board, in their opinion and mine.
    Not only that, but Hickson put up some impressive numbers as a freshman. Probably comparable numbers to Hibbert - and Hibbert was a senior. Meaning, Hickson has lots of time to grow and improve.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did someone say Salmons?

Does anyone remember him invoking a dream (or some vision thing) where his god told him to go to Sacramento instead? That was funny...and tremendously courageous of him. The guy is a good baller but he didnt have the cojones to just say he changed his mind? He'd be great in a foxhole.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What comes to my mind first is horrible draft choices made by horrible GMs, who passed up on some solid choices. Babcock drafted Rafael Araujo 8th !!! when we could have had Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin and Beno Udrih. That was a huge bust and we could have been so much better with anyone mentioned above.

Another one that got away was when Grunwald drafted Micheal Bradley passing over Brendan Haywood, Tony Parker, Zach Randolph, and Gerald Wallace.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    What comes to my mind first is horrible draft choices made by horrible GMs, who passed up on some solid choices. Babcock drafted Rafael Araujo 8th !!! when we could have had Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin and Beno Udrih. That was a huge bust and we could have been so much better with anyone mentioned above.

Another one that got away was when Grunwald drafted Micheal Bradley passing over Brendan Haywood, Tony Parker, Zach Randolph, and Gerald Wallace.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    To be fair, Babcock didn't select Araujo. That was a Jack McCloskey pick. McCloskey wanted to appeal to the blue collar/hockey style type of player. That was a true case of not selecting the BPA. I believe the guy that Babcock wanted was Iguodala. Luke Jackson and Jameer Nelson was in the mix as well.

As far as the Bradley selection went, I thought at the time it was pretty good. He put up some very good stats at Nova, had some good size and was thought of as a heir apparent for the front court, especially at the 4. I know the Raps were high on Randolph, but passed on him because of character issues while he was at Michigan State.

Post Thanks / Like

I hated the Bradley selection at the time. I thought there were guys available with far more potential. That one still hurts to think about.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rg1990 wrote: View Post
    The obvious one, using our 1st overall in 2006 on Brandon Roy. Yeah he's had done injury problems, but if we had both Bosh and Roy, we'd be a perennial playoff team.
    GTFO

Former golden boy GM, Kevin Pritchard got fired for ignoring the medical reports in selecting both Oden and Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rondo's stat line tonight versus the Spurs:

12 points shooting 60% from the field, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 6 steals, a block and a win.

Post Thanks / Like

12 points shooting 60% from the field, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 6 steals, a block and a win.
    I think he's the ONLY one I would say would be a better pick then Bargs, BUT I'm truly not sure he'd be the player he is without Garnett/PP/Ray/Doc ... Its been in the playoffs that he has truly flourished, and I'm just not sure those situations would have presented themselves anywhere BUT Boston.

But ya ... Rondo is the ILLEST.

(Our current PG's stat's of 17 and 20 ain't bad either though... haha)

Post Thanks / Like

His greatest strengths (defense, rebounding, athleticism and court vision) don't require a strong supporting cast. No doubt those stars make his life a lot easier but we're not talking Jason Kapono in his Heat days or anything. The only hole in Rondo's game is his long range shooting and he doesn't need that because his goals don't seem to involve being a prolific scorer and he doesn't need to shoot the ball to dominate a game. The way he plays is rare. There is no one in the league like him and I think most teams would sell the farm to get him

Post Thanks / Like

His greatest strengths (defense, rebounding, athleticism and court vision) don't require a strong supporting cast. No doubt those stars make his life a lot easier but we're not talking Jason Kapono in his Heat days or anything. The only hole in Rondo's game is his long range shooting and he doesn't need that because his goals don't seem to involve being a prolific scorer and he doesn't need to shoot the ball to dominate a game. The way he plays is rare. There is no one in the league like him and I think most teams would sell the farm to get him
    And I'd be one of them. I'm a big fan. In my opinion he is the best PG in the league. Hands down. No contest.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RikkJames wrote: View Post
    1. The Hoffa draft always stands out in my mind when I think of past failures, we were still a pretty decent team then and the right pick might have made a huge difference.
    2. Not trading Bosh last year, although he did BS us into thinking there was a chance, but since BC said he heard rumblings at the break, he shouldve made a move.
    3. Alex Radojevic.
    We were the 5th team going into the allstar break and were arguably the hottest. There is absolutely no way you trade away your star season with the season we were having at that point. Either way there would be people like you bitching about why he was traded opposed to why he wan't trade now.

It's always much easily to say things in hindsight.

Thread Information