Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So, what's in store for next year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So, what's in store for next year?

We are only in December, but at 12 games under .500, it's clear that in an increasingly competitive Eastern Conference, this season is all but done. There is a chance we could limp with a losing record into the 8th seed to face our nemesis CB in the playoffs, but other than that, what more can we hope for this season...

Which brings us to next year. Possible lockout? TPE? Peja? Lots of cap space opening up and potential deals to be made.

What needs to be acknowledged is that right now we have 2-3 legit NBA starters, and some excellent bench players.

REAL starters: Bargs, Bayless, Barbo, occassionally Caldy

GOOD bench guys: DD, Johnson, eventually Davis, sometimes Kleiza

Other than that we have a collection of scrubs and duds who occassionally give us glimpses of hope, and then fade into the ether of false promises and inconsistent play.

We really are not a legit NBA team this year, but I can respect BC for holding on to the TPE and Peja for now as chips. He realizes that this year is really about next year, and beyond. Watching us get dismantled by the Bulls, who for the last 2-3 yrs were usually fair game for the raps, was sad. Thibodeau and the Bulls management along with some lucky draft slots have really done a good job there.

So who will be on our team next year? I imagine the aforementioned REAL starters, the rest should be considered trade fodder. JT- get the F outta here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah.... It's January Multipaul.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ah.... It's January Multipaul.
    Damn Apollo...it's been a rough week lol

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my first thought...time warp or excessive new year eve's celebrations!

Fair assessment MP but your point re BC holding on to Peja and tpe (while a good thing not being exchanged in desperation) maybe more about the glut of expirings out there, only bad deals available in exchange or cold feet generally because of a lack of cba. In anycase just improving the cap position is a good thing in of itself. Hopefully free agency (Chandler of the Mavs) and a good draft is achievable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, looking at this list of 2011 free agents, I think our real value for the future will hopefully be gleaned from the draft

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2011/

PS- does anyone else think there will be an Anthony Parker sighting next year?

Post Thanks / Like

You're saying Davis will EVENTUALLY be a good bench guy? He is.
    Kleiza, though I hate him, has proven he can play AT LEAST a bench role.
    Don't even get me started on Demar. The dude has flat out shown he can play and is still soo young that to do anything BUT start him would be a diservice to the Raptors.
    Barbosa is the ideal Sixth man and has realized that and flourished in that role. I'm not sure I start him.
    Calderon, again, has proven to be a starting Point Guard in this league.

Whats funny is I bet you, and people that think like this, would go through the Sacremento line-up, or the Minnesota line-up, or the Sixers line-up, and find 'more, better players'; but its completely ridiculous.

We DO have a legitimate team this year and we have beaten more then legitimate teams through out the season.
    I don't really know where all this thinking comes from.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit premature to speculate anything, especially with the CBA and Lockout looming. There's no way this team wants to take on a long term contract when there's uncertainty in the salary structure.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mango; even tho I'm already looking beyond this season, I doubt the team picks up any big $$ players with either Peja or the TPE. As it stands now, financially, the Raps are well-positioned to thrive under a new CBA. Adding players with high salaries and long-term deals, unless they are Very Very Good players, will just set us back. What I'm looking for is trading any players not in our long-term plans for future picks. Any future picks.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Raps do make a play for someone, it'll be for someone with a manageable contract (8 million or less) or a big expiring contract along with a prospect for the TPE. Peja probably will not get dealt. His contract will just expire.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, considering the lame duck free agent class next year, we would be wise to go after draft picks.
    In which case, I think we SHOULD consider trades for Peja, Weems, Calderon, and other players who will not fit into our overall plan ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    I agree, considering the lame duck free agent class next year, we would be wise to go after draft picks.
    In which case, I think we SHOULD consider trades for Peja, Weems, Calderon, and other players who will not fit into our overall plan ASAP
    No one is going to give you young players or picks for a washed up Peja. Or a gimpy Calderon.. or a scrubby Weems.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    No one is going to give you young players or picks for a washed up Peja. Or a gimpy Calderon.. or a scrubby Weems.
    Peja isn't washed up. His 3 point marksmanship would be valuable to any team. Plus, they would get his expiring contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Peja isn't washed up. His 3 point marksmanship would be valuable to any team. Plus, they would get his expiring contract.
    Dude, you don't get it. Peja is washed up. He's missed over 40 games the past 2 seasons, not to mention the ones he's missed so far to date. And who's gonna give up young talent or a draft pick for a guy who can't stay on the court? He's got knee problems right now. Knees are vital to basketball players.. especially shooters.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you don't get it. Peja is washed up. He's missed over 40 games the past 2 seasons, not to mention the ones he's missed so far to date. And who's gonna give up young talent or a draft pick for a guy who can't stay on the court? He's got knee problems right now. Knees are vital to basketball players.. especially shooters.
    Son, he just came off a huge layoff due to injuries. He was playing fine for NOH but did not work with their new system and style of play. Any playoff contending team would scoop up Peja to add ammo to their playoff run. What kind of picks they could offer us back remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Son, he just came off a huge layoff due to injuries. He was playing fine for NOH but did not work with their new system and style of play. Any playoff contending team would scoop up Peja to add ammo to their playoff run. What kind of picks they could offer us back remains to be seen.
    He just came off a huge layoff due to injuries, yet he's suffering from a swollen knee and has only played in 2 games since being acquired. He's injured. He was playing limited minutes this season in New Orleans. Why? Because he's injured. So what team is going to "scoop up" a wonky, gimpy Stojakovic? And give up assets to boot? Knee problems are difficult to deal with. The only teams looking to pick up Stojakovic are teams looking to get rid of high priced, long term salary players, something the Raptors probably don't want to take on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

He just came off a huge layoff due to injuries, yet he's suffering from a swollen knee and has only played in 2 games since being acquired. He's injured. He was playing limited minutes this season in New Orleans. Why? Because he's injured. So what team is going to "scoop up" a wonky, gimpy Stojakovic? And give up assets to boot? Knee problems are difficult to deal with. The only teams looking to pick up Stojakovic are teams looking to get rid of high priced, long term salary players, something the Raptors probably don't want to take on.
    Dude....don't tell me you actually believe he is injured right now.

"swollen knee" doesnt last a month. They have him on the shelf in tip top shape for trading. His visit to NOH was probably for personal and family stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude....don't tell me you actually believe he is injured right now.

"swollen knee" doesnt last a month. They have him on the shelf in tip top shape for trading. His visit to NOH was probably for personal and family stuff.
    I guess you've never had problems with swelling and draining of your knee before. I believe he's actually injured. He didn't play many minutes with New Orleans to start the season. His knee is an actual concern. If he was actually healthy, he would be playing and improving his stock, not being on the bench in street clothes. A contending team isn't going to look at him unless they have a problem contract they want to get rid of and the Raptors are not going to take on long term salary unless it's some real sweetheart of a deal. However, teams are not going to want to make any massive deals, especially with the uncertainty of the NBA landscape on the horizon.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very interested to see what Colangelo does at the trade deadline. The foundation is being laid this year for future success. We have some quality young pieces and I can't wait to see what else gets added. After Bosh left, Colangelo's been solid, and hopefully his next moves are equally as ambitious and good.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

who cares if he is in good shape or not, the team needs to be looking to get draft picks in the future. It doesn't matter if they are 2011, 2012 or 2013. the future of the club needs to be in picks and we need as many as we can. There is a lot of talent out there and they need to be ready to get it.

I like the heart our team has and don't think it should be messed with. Obviously changes need to be made but I don't think we are in as bad a state as it's made to seem. We have seen good development from guys so far and it should continue. Heck, I haven't heard anyone seriously complain about Johnsons fouling in a while and how it is such a bad contract. He's doing better and so are many of our other young players. It just takes time and youth and us fans are good with the youth part but hate hearing about the time part.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what is in store for next year but I do know I have not had such optimism in a long time concerning the Raptors. Maybe I'm high on whatever BC and the gang are handing out for my consumption but the assets are there to make something happen.

I've given up on McGee - unfortunately. I think he would be amazing next to Bargnani and his maturity issues would hopefully be resolved with a change of scenery. You never know what could happen at draft time though.

I still think Calderon has to go and, IMO, Minnesota makes the most sense from many perspectives. I hope something gets done before trade deadline, like this:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2a6kxpx

There is no doubt in my mind the next 6months will shape the Raptors for years to come and BC's legacy in Toronto.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information