So, what's in store for next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what's in store for next year?

We are only in December, but at 12 games under .500, it's clear that in an increasingly competitive Eastern Conference, this season is all but done. There is a chance we could limp with a losing record into the 8th seed to face our nemesis CB in the playoffs, but other than that, what more can we hope for this season...

Which brings us to next year. Possible lockout? TPE? Peja? Lots of cap space opening up and potential deals to be made.

What needs to be acknowledged is that right now we have 2-3 legit NBA starters, and some excellent bench players.

REAL starters: Bargs, Bayless, Barbo, occassionally Caldy

GOOD bench guys: DD, Johnson, eventually Davis, sometimes Kleiza

Other than that we have a collection of scrubs and duds who occassionally give us glimpses of hope, and then fade into the ether of false promises and inconsistent play.

We really are not a legit NBA team this year, but I can respect BC for holding on to the TPE and Peja for now as chips. He realizes that this year is really about next year, and beyond. Watching us get dismantled by the Bulls, who for the last 2-3 yrs were usually fair game for the raps, was sad. Thibodeau and the Bulls management along with some lucky draft slots have really done a good job there.

So who will be on our team next year? I imagine the aforementioned REAL starters, the rest should be considered trade fodder. JT- get the F outta here.

Ah.... It's January Multipaul.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Ah.... It's January Multipaul.
      Damn Apollo...it's been a rough week lol

Comment

Exactly my first thought...time warp or excessive new year eve's celebrations!

Fair assessment MP but your point re BC holding on to Peja and tpe (while a good thing not being exchanged in desperation) maybe more about the glut of expirings out there, only bad deals available in exchange or cold feet generally because of a lack of cba. In anycase just improving the cap position is a good thing in of itself. Hopefully free agency (Chandler of the Mavs) and a good draft is achievable.

Comment

I hear ya, looking at this list of 2011 free agents, I think our real value for the future will hopefully be gleaned from the draft

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2011/

PS- does anyone else think there will be an Anthony Parker sighting next year?

Comment

You're saying Davis will EVENTUALLY be a good bench guy? He is.
            Kleiza, though I hate him, has proven he can play AT LEAST a bench role.
            Don't even get me started on Demar. The dude has flat out shown he can play and is still soo young that to do anything BUT start him would be a diservice to the Raptors.
            Barbosa is the ideal Sixth man and has realized that and flourished in that role. I'm not sure I start him.
            Calderon, again, has proven to be a starting Point Guard in this league.

Whats funny is I bet you, and people that think like this, would go through the Sacremento line-up, or the Minnesota line-up, or the Sixers line-up, and find 'more, better players'; but its completely ridiculous.

We DO have a legitimate team this year and we have beaten more then legitimate teams through out the season.
            I don't really know where all this thinking comes from.

Comment

It's a bit premature to speculate anything, especially with the CBA and Lockout looming. There's no way this team wants to take on a long term contract when there's uncertainty in the salary structure.

Comment

I agree with Mango; even tho I'm already looking beyond this season, I doubt the team picks up any big $$ players with either Peja or the TPE. As it stands now, financially, the Raps are well-positioned to thrive under a new CBA. Adding players with high salaries and long-term deals, unless they are Very Very Good players, will just set us back. What I'm looking for is trading any players not in our long-term plans for future picks. Any future picks.

Comment

If the Raps do make a play for someone, it'll be for someone with a manageable contract (8 million or less) or a big expiring contract along with a prospect for the TPE. Peja probably will not get dealt. His contract will just expire.

Comment

I agree, considering the lame duck free agent class next year, we would be wise to go after draft picks.
                    In which case, I think we SHOULD consider trades for Peja, Weems, Calderon, and other players who will not fit into our overall plan ASAP

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      I agree, considering the lame duck free agent class next year, we would be wise to go after draft picks.
                      In which case, I think we SHOULD consider trades for Peja, Weems, Calderon, and other players who will not fit into our overall plan ASAP
                      No one is going to give you young players or picks for a washed up Peja. Or a gimpy Calderon.. or a scrubby Weems.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        No one is going to give you young players or picks for a washed up Peja. Or a gimpy Calderon.. or a scrubby Weems.
                        Peja isn't washed up. His 3 point marksmanship would be valuable to any team. Plus, they would get his expiring contract.

Comment

Peja isn't washed up. His 3 point marksmanship would be valuable to any team. Plus, they would get his expiring contract.
                          Dude, you don't get it. Peja is washed up. He's missed over 40 games the past 2 seasons, not to mention the ones he's missed so far to date. And who's gonna give up young talent or a draft pick for a guy who can't stay on the court? He's got knee problems right now. Knees are vital to basketball players.. especially shooters.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            Dude, you don't get it. Peja is washed up. He's missed over 40 games the past 2 seasons, not to mention the ones he's missed so far to date. And who's gonna give up young talent or a draft pick for a guy who can't stay on the court? He's got knee problems right now. Knees are vital to basketball players.. especially shooters.
                            Son, he just came off a huge layoff due to injuries. He was playing fine for NOH but did not work with their new system and style of play. Any playoff contending team would scoop up Peja to add ammo to their playoff run. What kind of picks they could offer us back remains to be seen.

Comment

Son, he just came off a huge layoff due to injuries. He was playing fine for NOH but did not work with their new system and style of play. Any playoff contending team would scoop up Peja to add ammo to their playoff run. What kind of picks they could offer us back remains to be seen.
                              He just came off a huge layoff due to injuries, yet he's suffering from a swollen knee and has only played in 2 games since being acquired. He's injured. He was playing limited minutes this season in New Orleans. Why? Because he's injured. So what team is going to "scoop up" a wonky, gimpy Stojakovic? And give up assets to boot? Knee problems are difficult to deal with. The only teams looking to pick up Stojakovic are teams looking to get rid of high priced, long term salary players, something the Raptors probably don't want to take on.

Comment

Working...
                              X