Raptors Interested in Kings Omri Casspi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Interested in Kings Omri Casspi

This team needs a little more international flavour.

A few more teams that have expressed interest in Sacramento's in-demand Omri Casspi have emerged since ESPN.com's report earlier this week that Chicago and New York are trying to convince the Kings to part with the second-year swingman. One source close to the situation said Toronto and Washington have likewise joined the Casspi chase, while Sam Amick of AOL FanHouse reports that Denver and the Los Angeles Clippers have inquired as well. As stated from the start, though, Sacramento will insist that any team takes on the contract of Beno Udrih or Francisco Garcia in any Casspi deal and could well ask for even more than that. The Kings' desire to find a new point guard to pair with Tyreke Evans is no secret among rival teams.
    Source - Click here

i want this to happen so bad... just so i can say "Ju-Ju and the Jew" more often

Comment

The Raptors have 14 roster players

I would prefer that the Raptors use part of the Bosh TPE to acquire Casspi who is making about $1.2M this season.

Most likely the Kings won't go for that

Udrih is making $6.5M

So a trade of Calderon at $9 million for Udrih and Casspi would work.

The one big downside is that Udrih contract runs through 2012-13 for about $21 million.

He is not worth that kind of money however Bayless' contract also runs through 2012-13 with a QO in 2012-13.

If the Raptors thought that Bayless could start then I might go for the trade.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Sacramento would be another team I think Calderon would do wonders for - especially paired with Evans. They, and MIN, are also the only team able to take the financial burden of Calderon's contract as well.

I see Washington is sniffing as well. I wonder if they and SAC would do this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=24szzl4

TOR and WSH could send some cash along to SAC as well (up to $3M each).

Comment

The King wouldn't want to overpay for Calderon if they're itching to get rid of Udrih.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            The King wouldn't want to overpay for Calderon if they're itching to get rid of Udrih.
            True but given Calderon's pass first mentality and ability to knock down jumpers after Evans creates might help. At least the length of the deal is the same.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Sacramento would be another team I think Calderon would do wonders for - especially paired with Evans. They, and MIN, are also the only team able to take the financial burden of Calderon's contract as well.

Why does Washington give up McGee for Thompson? Yeah, they get Casspi too, but in the end, it's not worth it for them. And Sacto gets pretty hosed. So now instead of having Beno and Garcia, they'd have Garcia and Calderon - which is 3 million more per and 12-13 mil over the contract period.

I think the Kings' mindset is that they'd like to get a young PG, cost-effective PG to pair with Evans.

Comment

I could see the Clippers getting involved if they're so inclined to part with Bledsoe. However, they already have Aminu at the 3.

Comment

Why does Washington give up McGee for Thompson? Yeah, they get Casspi too, but in the end, it's not worth it for them. And Sacto gets pretty hosed. So now instead of having Beno and Garcia, they'd have Garcia and Calderon - which is 3 million more per and 12-13 mil over the contract period.

I think the Kings' mindset is that they'd like to get a young PG, cost-effective PG to pair with Evans.
                  You must know by now I have a major man-crush on the idea of McGee with the Raptors, right? Everyone knows McGee's abilities but there is more than enough articles and rumours out there to confidently say WSH would move him with the right offer. Maybe a young cheap wing they reportedly covet along with another young PF/C both on rookie deals would be enough to do it. I don't know - just throwing it out there.

With regards to Udrih, if he is on the books for 2 more seasons at a bad contract along with Calderon, I'd rather have Calderon as he is a true pass first PG. When the majority of their team is on rookie deals and salary cap is nowhere near a concern, I don't worry about Calderon's contract if I'm Petrie or Maloof brothers. Calderon is an experienced PG who would compliment Evans very well, IMO, and add to his development.

As of now, SAC has $27M in contracts for next season:
                  http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm

Comment

According to your trade proposal the ESPN TM adds one win for the Raptors whereas a simple Calderon for Udrih and Casspi trade adds two wins for the Raptors.

McGee is redundant unless the Raptors move either Bargnani, Johnson or Davis.

I am not even including Evans

I can't see the Raptors acquiring a big at this point unless they also move one.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

You must know by now I have a major man-crush on the idea of McGee with the Raptors, right? Everyone knows McGee's abilities but there is more than enough articles and rumours out there to confidently say WSH would move him with the right offer. Maybe a young cheap wing they reportedly covet along with another young PF/C both on rookie deals would be enough to do it. I don't know - just throwing it out there.

With regards to Udrih, if he is on the books for 2 more seasons at a bad contract along with Calderon, I'd rather have Calderon as he is a true pass first PG. When the majority of their team is on rookie deals and salary cap is nowhere near a concern, I don't worry about Calderon's contract if I'm Petrie or Maloof brothers. Calderon is an experienced PG who would compliment Evans very well, IMO, and add to his development.

As of now, SAC has $27M in contracts for next season:
                      http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm
                      I understand your affinity for McGee, but I can't see the Wiz giving him up for essentially Casspi. Maybe if it were Blatche, that would be a different story, but it seems like they're giving up a blossimg big man for a younger version of Andres Nocioni, Now, there;s nothing wrong with Nocioni, I think he's a solid player, but McGee could fetch more than Casspi.

In Regards to Udrih v. Calderon, Udrih has 1 more year on his contract after this season (probably 2 since he'll pick up the player option for 7.8 milion...in total, it could be 15 million). Calderon has guaranteed 2 more seasons after this one at 20.3 million in total. And really, Calderon is a marginal upgrade to Udrih. I don't think the Maloofs wants to pay 5 more million for a marginal upgrade while giving up a young player in Casspi. There's no real incentive for them to do it.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        According to your trade proposal the ESPN TM adds one win for the Raptors whereas a simple Calderon for Udrih and Casspi trade adds two wins for the Raptors.

McGee is redundant unless the Raptors move either Bargnani, Johnson or Davis.

I am not even including Evans

I can't see the Raptors acquiring a big at this point unless they also move one.
                        I do not consider Evans in anything related to the future of the Raptors. I don't see him being here - I could be wrong though.

The trade that nearly brought Chandler here shows another big - especially a true C - is not out of hte realm of possibility.

An acquisition of McGee could very well lead to making Johnson redundant at some point in the future, but not this season. Also McGee could be the one who doesn't work out. He isn't reaching his potential in WSH, it could be the same here. However, if the possibility is there to obtain a more athletic, younger, better shot blocking, but slightly weaker rebounding centre in McGee compared to Chandler, IMO, you take it. Adding McGee to what is already the league's best fast break team would be exciting for fans and scary for opponents.

Comment

I understand your affinity for McGee, but I can't see the Wiz giving him up for essentially Casspi. Maybe if it were Blatche, that would be a different story, but it seems like they're giving up a blossimg big man for a younger version of Andres Nocioni, Now, there;s nothing wrong with Nocioni, I think he's a solid player, but McGee could fetch more than Casspi.

In Regards to Udrih v. Calderon, Udrih has 1 more year on his contract after this season (probably 2 since he'll pick up the player option for 7.8 milion...in total, it could be 15 million). Calderon has guaranteed 2 more seasons after this one at 20.3 million in total. And really, Calderon is a marginal upgrade to Udrih. I don't think the Maloofs wants to pay 5 more million for a marginal upgrade while giving up a young player in Casspi. There's no real incentive for them to do it.
                          I do not disagree with your logic at all and you very well could be correct.

The only thing I disagree with is calling Calderon a marginal upgrade. He is, IMO, an upgrade, period.

Comment

I do not consider Evans in anything related to the future of the Raptors. I don't see him being here - I could be wrong though.

The trade that nearly brought Chandler here shows another big - especially a true C - is not out of hte realm of possibility.

An acquisition of McGee could very well lead to making Johnson redundant at some point in the future, but not this season. Also McGee could be the one who doesn't work out. He isn't reaching his potential in WSH, it could be the same here. However, if the possibility is there to obtain a more athletic, younger, better shot blocking, but slightly weaker rebounding centre in McGee compared to Chandler, IMO, you take it. Adding McGee to what is already the league's best fast break team would be exciting for fans and scary for opponents.
                            Not very likely that Triano will play Davis ahead of Johnson at this point, not very likely that Davis minutes will be cut which would happewn as a result of a McGee acquisition.

Only time will tell however this comes back to the Bargnani problem and idea by Bargnani fans that Bargnani can play PF on defense.

McGee is a pretty good low post defender, far better than Bargnani.

I would like to see McGee and Johnson but then that would either involve trading Bargnani or having him come off the bench and drastically cutting Davis minutes.

Johnson is better than Bargnani period despite what Bargnani's supporters say..

Comment

I do not disagree with your logic at all and you very well could be correct.

The only thing I disagree with is calling Calderon a marginal upgrade. He is, IMO, an upgrade, period.
                              It's like getting a cheeseburger instead of a hamburger.

Comment

Working...
                              X