Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Did Julian Wright Do?

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Did Julian Wright Do?

Can anyone explain why a Kleiza, playing the role of The Turnstile, got 35m tonight? What did Gully Jully do wrong to get such a short leash? Dude dropped 5 dimes in his first 9 minutes, most coming in the 2nd q and then Jay hooked him. What gives? Does JT not see that you can't start Bargs/Kleiza/Derozan? With those three playing 1 on 1, amir banged up and Jose needing shots to open up the floor for the rest of his game (offense at least, his d is still a joke).

JC/DD/JW/AJ/AB
    jb/lb/lk-sw/ed/jd

go small/quick with jb/lb/dd/ed/amir
    go with shawts jc/lb/sw/lk/ab
    go for d with jb/sw/jw/ed/aj
    go big n dumb jc/jw/lk/jd/ab
    go young and street jb/dd/sw/aj/jd
    go eurotrash jc/lb/lk/ab/sa*

*for the purpose of this topic I'm going to co opt my favourite announcer slip: when they refer to non european who play internationally as "european" ie Look at SA win despite starting 2 euros

Post Thanks / Like

Defense was our problem this game (and all season too) so I'm not sure why Jay wouldn't put in arguably our best defender.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the starting line-up from the get-go should have been Bargnani, Davis, Kleiza, DeRozan, and Calderon. My thoughts have definitely changed since then. I think Johnson deserves to be there for the time being, but I'd like to see both Davis and Wright earn a starting spot by years end. Kleiza is really the only alternative for now at the three.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was asking the same question. I don't know if jay doesn't like him or they are trying to get kleiza going because they believe in him but at this point I am beyond frustrated and will hope that BC is watching and goes after Larry brown next year. I was a big fan of jay till recently, I believe he is a offensive minded coach and we need a defensive minded coach. I can't find a justifiable reason for his choices other than a trade is coming and they want to show off kleiza

Post Thanks / Like

I was stunned. Tough game, but why not have have him play 25 min to see if he can have an impact.
    Even play Kleiza at the 4 for bits when the Celtics are small - if you think Kleiza was "hot" (which is up for debate).

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a Jay fan, just being upfront. He could be good with the x's and o's but he is idiotic in his substitutions and lineups.
    He said something strange in an interview that many teams play a defensively minded player in the starting lineups and try to find ways to hide the offensive deficiencies but made it seem he wasn't going there. Ok. Ummmm. Reggie Evans??!! Julian has more offensive game, more defensive game and comparable energy to reggie.

Makes...no...sense.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I was asking the same question. I don't know if jay doesn't like him or they are trying to get kleiza going because they believe in him but at this point I am beyond frustrated and will hope that BC is watching and goes after Larry brown next year. I was a big fan of jay till recently, I believe he is a offensive minded coach and we need a defensive minded coach. I can't find a justifiable reason for his choices other than a trade is coming and they want to show off kleiza
    Or perhaps they want to avoid paying the QO to Julian and get him for less on say a three year. Conspiracy theory sure but somehow there has to be some kind of explanation. The alternative is less than polite. At least where triano is concerned.

Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yah its annoying, personally i think juju, should play with barbosa when he's running the point at all times, since barbosa isnt great at passing around the ball, and juju is ight at it, so that would help with the flow better, while kleiza should play with caldy....

though not for the full 33 mins that caldy played. I dunno, Kleiza put some decent #'s up, but as ppl said, offence was rly not our problem, the raptors, couldnt set up enuff defensive stops to slow down the celts, and get into the game. Kleiza juss isn't a good defender, and it juss seems odd the way the rotations r. I would think most coaches would toss out juju out there for longer, when D is a problem, and he is one of your bttr defenders at the SF postion.... oh well, wats done is done i guess....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am totally willing to be completely wrong and I'm not a basketball mind like the raptors coaching staff - I'm a latecomer to the Julian Wright fandamonium but I'm in the confused camp...why isn't he playing more? Am I missing something? Kleiza has a sweet stroke when he's on, but we can't have more than one pylon on the floor at one time especially when he's throwing up bricks...Julian seems to know his roll and although not outstanding, he doesn't appear to be a liability anywhere on the floor...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imagoodfella wrote: View Post
    Yes, I am totally willing to be completely wrong and I'm not a basketball mind like the raptors coaching staff - I'm a latecomer to the Julian Wright fandamonium but I'm in the confused camp...why isn't he playing more? Am I missing something? Kleiza has a sweet stroke when he's on, but we can't have more than one pylon on the floor at one time especially when he's throwing up bricks...Julian seems to know his roll and although not outstanding, he doesn't appear to be a liability anywhere on the floor...
    Hit the nail on the head. Well put.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wright has one good game coming off of the bench against the worst team in the NBA and everyone wants to start giving him huge minutes.

Too funny
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Wright has one good game coming off of the bench against the worst team in the NBA and everyone wants to start giving him huge minutes.

Too funny
    It hasn't been 'one good game' as you put it Buddah, and for you to state that simply shows that you don't watch the games.
    Julian Wright has been consistently making the most of his minutes WHENEVER given the opportunity. He does the little intangibles that cannot be discounted, but seem to have been in your eyes. Which is a shame.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

|Anyone else see that rediculous steal Jwright had from Rondo? Jwright dove for the ball on the sideline and somehow pulled it out and passed it up to derozan i tihnk , crazy steal!

Post Thanks / Like

Too funny
    Nothing to contribute huh? So why bother? I gotta say, lookin' suspiciously like a post whore lately. It's a shame, you started off with so much potential.
    Last edited by minks77; Sat Jan 8th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He does the little intangibles that cannot be discounted,
    This is exactly what I like about his game. Ever since the Orlando win he's been more good than bad and brings hustle and energy when he's on the floor. His offense is terrible but he does play within himself. He gets on the glass, hands in the lanes, plays as hard as he can whether or not his shot is dropping and has shown to be a nice passer with good vision. It's not like the guys ahead of him are All Stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    Nothing to contribute huh? So why bother? I gotta say, lookin' suspiciously like a post whore lately. It's a shame, you started off with so much potential.
    hahahaha

But I don't condone name calling.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Jan 8th, 2011 at 05:35 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    |Anyone else see that rediculous steal Jwright had from Rondo? Jwright dove for the ball on the sideline and somehow pulled it out and passed it up to derozan i tihnk , crazy steal!
    Wasn't that Amir Johnson?

Post Thanks / Like

Too funny
    Watch more games. You missed a number, not just the CLE win where Wright contributed to a win.
    A few more in here: http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/01/0...nd-minuses-of/

It's about contribution during the minutes he DOES play.

What's our main issue? Wing defense. Question for you: who plays the best wing defense on this Raptors squad?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wright is a spark player. I'm not trying to disrespect him but he shouldn't be playing more than 20 minutes a game based on his skill level. His main proficiency is defense and hustle plays. Plus he's not a lockdown defender... he looks good because every other SF/SG is horrible defensively.

The reality is that Wright, who usually comes in against other teams' bench players, performs well in a short-time span. It's one thing to do that briefly or to play heavy minutes/start. He is an offensive liability. He cannot shoot well and most of his points come from tip-ins, dunks or short jumpers. Defensively he creates turnovers and steals, but is not a better rebounder than Kleiza per se.

Wright is a role player at best. In Toronto his job is to defend. On many other teams (contenders) he'd be lucky to be on the roster. I think we see him play two games very well and we immediately recommend he start. That's just a major fallacy in our thinking. This is a 82 game season and you cannot judge a guy on less than ten games. I understand Wright frequently plays limited minutes but I trust the coaches/management in evaluating his potential to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend he start or at least get an even split at the 3 for exactly the reasons you state: he's a role player who defends and brings hustle. Kleiza is terrible. He's slow, doesn't man up well, doesn't help well, doesn't hustle, doesn't do much of anything unless he's the feature attraction getting tons of touches (and even then it's only if he's "on"). In other words he isn't bringing anything to the team that Demar, Jose and Bargs don't already bring, and they are all better than him. The starting lineup, especially the perimeter, desperately needs a hustle/defender type of role player who's job is to facilitate and be energetic and not try to jack up a shot everytime down.

I'm not saying he's the next Scottie Pippen, but the Raptors starting 5 is a boring old mess and Kleiza is not helping out. I think his skills would be much better on the bench.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information