Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lets talk Bayless

Post Thanks / Like

Default lets talk Bayless

Am i the only one that thinks his ceiling is great sixth man?

Post Thanks / Like

also while we're talking about sixth men we all agree they need to trade barbosa right?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I think Bayless has starter potential, but he has too much of a shoot first/pass later modus operandi. If he can flip that, he could be great.

2. I would try and re-up Barbo, dude is a lighting rod. If he gets that wrist surgery this summer, he could be even better. Not sure if he wants to stay in T dot though.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless kinda reminds me of micheal vick when he was in Atlanta, he would look only at option #1 and if it wasn't there he would just go. Someone needs to teach him to slow down, let the play develop and make all the reads first and if nothing is there then go.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Bayless kinda reminds me of micheal vick when he was in Atlanta, he would look only at option #1 and if it wasn't there he would just go. Someone needs to teach him to slow down, let the play develop and make all the reads first and if nothing is there then go.
    great analogy. agreed 100%

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

bayless needs to rest he's cleary struggling with his ankle he can't drive hard witch is essential to his game

Post Thanks / Like

VERY solid analogy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a reason why both Portland while in need of young PG and NO passed on this guy !!!
    At the early days of his arrival to Toronto, there was a poll on the site and something around 30% of Raptor fans thought Bayless is an ALLSTAR while something arounf 50 thought he is a solid starter in this league.

So far he has been as he was advertised :

A shoot first PG with a shaky shot and not a great court vision. A streaky scorer who can really light it up at some night. A small Shooting Guard who can not defend #2.

If you ask me now, he is a decent back up PG at best in NBA.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is only 22. Give him minutes off the bench and he will come good. A young backup PG is exactly what we want at his moment.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless and Barbosa are essentially the same player and unfortunately usually play together. Barbosa is not a natural PG so considering Bayless is only 22 he should be developed more into a PG. One thing that bothers me about Bayless is he looks for his own offense too much. I'm not the biggest fan of Calderon but he does a great job facilitating other guys. I think for Bayless to have a bright future he needs to leave that combo-guard role, especially if he wants to start eventually. He shoot learn how to become a better assist guy and not just shot 3s or drive wildy to the rim and hoist a tough layup. He is far more athletic than Jose and is nearly a good enough open shooter. Basketball IQ is missing. He can dribble past guys but instead of looking for his offense he should be encouraged to dish out assists.

Barbosa has a player option next year which I doubt he will refuse so I expect a lot of clutter at the SG/PG position. I think it's a matter of time before Barbosa loses his quickness/first step due to his age. I can't really see him being as effective after the next season so investing in Bayless makes sense. If I had my way I'd be starting Barbosa at PG now just because he's a good defender against PGs and not so much on SGs.

Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his game a lot! He is young and raw and is still getting used to the Raptors Offense and the players around him. It's not completely his fault because if you watch the rest of the team when he has the ball, they are just watching him with their thumbs up their ass and not moving. That's why it's so hard for him to do anything cause there are so many pylons on the Raptors.

Jose already knows the limitations of the pylons/players and so he won't try and force anything. Bayless is still figuring it out, and he will get it and become a great starter! remember, he's been playing on a sprained ankle! He can still blow by other guards!

Raptors Republic Rookie SaskatchewanSun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he has starting potential, with some good coaching and more experiance. As of right now he is definetly a back up in my books, of course he needs more playing time than a bench player if he is to develop fully

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    also while we're talking about sixth men we all agree they need to trade barbosa right?
    agreed, i like him but he needs to go IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need a football analogy? There's a basketball analogy - it's called a combo guard. They're score first point guards and there are quite a few of them in the league. The best comparison/ceiling for Bayless is Devin Harris.

In the case of Vick, he never had a real wideout when he was playing on the Falcons. His best target was probably Alge Crumpler or Brian Finneran.

Post Thanks / Like

Bayless is finally getting some minutes for the first time in his pro career and he's producing. How about we give the guy some more playing time before fully writing him off?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the toughest part of going from SG to PG is your handle. And Bayless has the handles. I think the part where you learn to pass first can come with time. And he gets to watch Jose.

I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it.

Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a little Jameer Nelson/ Raymond Felton in his game, neither are huge assist guys (although Felton has jumped this year) but can get their team into sets and do an OK job defending other PGs. Baylees is still learning when to look for his spots and when to get guys touches, learning from Jose will be better for him than learning from Chris Paul. CP3 is a great PG, but his game is to different from Bayless' to help him out. If you surround a guy like Bayless with good players he can be a starting PG on a very good team, but he will not make a mediocre team good.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote J-Roc wrote: View Post
    I think the toughest part of going from SG to PG is your handle. And Bayless has the handles. I think the part where you learn to pass first can come with time. And he gets to watch Jose.

I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it.

Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too.
    Agreed.

Derrick Rose is another example of a scoring PG. If Bayless ends up being even 2/3 the player that Rose is we'll be in pretty good shape with him, DeRozan, and Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is we're not giving Bayless many minutes now. Albeit he's been injured lately, but if him and Jose were healthy, who'd get the minutes? If we go into the offseason and we're still not sure what Bayless is, then we have to start considering drafting/acquiring a PG. If we have 3 PG's going into next season, then Bayless won't get a chance at all. Seems to me we need to do everything we can to find out this season if he's worth developing as our future PG. It's always nice to already have the pieces.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Triano probably does want to rest Jose a bit more, which will make him less likely to sustain another injury -- he's just waiting for Bayless to recover fully. Since Jose's okay on the court, once both are healthy again I'd expect Jose to play fewer minutes and Bayless to play more. Not an equal split like the Jose-Jarrett days, but maybe 30 min for Jose and 20 for Bayless.

Thread Information