Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: lets talk Bayless

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does Bayless not have a mid-range game? I don't mean just a mid-range jumper, I'm talking about playing inside the three-point line in general. It seems to me like he either sets up outside the three-point line and passes around to others while waiting for a play to develop, takes a three, or barrels straight to the rim. In the last case, if he finds someone near him as he approaches the basket and he gets closed off, he might make a pass. I think to truly be effective he needs to learn how to keep his dribble and move around a little bit while waiting for the play to develop. This, along with an improved nose for finding people, will help him take the next step as a PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Bayless is finally getting some minutes for the first time in his pro career and he's producing. How about we give the guy some more playing time before fully writing him off?
    oh im not writing him off at all, im quite pleased we have him. i just dont buy all the "star pg of the future!" hype he seems to get.

i guess what im saying is i hope we don't pass on a franchise pg in the draft cause we have him.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it. !
    Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too. "

I agree, he looks like he would be a great leader too which is what is needed at the pg spot.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless has the potential to be a decent to good back up pg, but not more than that. Too small to play at SG, and lacks the court vision to be a true PG. He's young and will improve incrementaly (shot, vision etc..), but you either got it or you don't and he's had enough time on good teams to show if has "it".

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It can take years for a player to put it all together. Anyone remember a guy named Chauncey Billups? Bayless is young and talented. The Raptors will have the rest of this season and next to figure out if he is a starter, back up, or 3rd string.

Raptors Republic Rookie bigmanshaq's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bayless could be a good piece for the Raptors long term, whether that' be starting PG or 6th man. First of all, he defends and scores, not to mention he's a mentally tough player (the guy tried to play through 2 consecutive ankle injuries, props).
    The only problem with him is that he's a shoot first PG, I see that being a slight problem, and only with the current roster. Our team, as constructed at the moment cannot consistently create their own offense, therefore relies heavily on Jose to set them up. Imagine once we have more talent on this roster, and we have players that can create shots for other players, or facilitate the offense, leaving Bayless to do what he does best (whatever that may be).
    *At the moment Bayless isn't ready to take over the reign of the team, and that's fine since we still have Jose under contract for a few more year, are we so ready to write off this kid before he even get a chance ? If Jose can have some sort of impact on Bayless, then we definitely got a keeper !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It can take years for a player to put it all together. Anyone remember a guy named Chauncey Billups? Bayless is young and talented. The Raptors will have the rest of this season and next to figure out if he is a starter, back up, or 3rd string.
    Chauncey is never a good example. All the teams he failed on would have been crazy to wait around year after year. If a guy won't pan out for another five years (and if he's not a rookie), you need to move along.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Vik wrote: View Post
    Is it just me or does Bayless not have a mid-range game? I don't mean just a mid-range jumper, I'm talking about playing inside the three-point line in general. It seems to me like he either sets up outside the three-point line and passes around to others while waiting for a play to develop, takes a three, or barrels straight to the rim. In the last case, if he finds someone near him as he approaches the basket and he gets closed off, he might make a pass. I think to truly be effective he needs to learn how to keep his dribble and move around a little bit while waiting for the play to develop. This, along with an improved nose for finding people, will help him take the next step as a PG.
    Yep, I always say he needs to add a pull up J to his arsenal. Right now, when he drives, he drives with the purpose of getting to the rim. He tucks the ball in like a running back, and I feel like he travels many times, and he goes for the rim. When defenses collapse, he needs to either hit an open man, or if no one is open, pull up for the J. But he has great shooting mechanics, so he should be able to learn these moves.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Bayless has the potential to be a decent to good back up pg, but not more than that. Too small to play at SG, and lacks the court vision to be a true PG. He's young and will improve incrementaly (shot, vision etc..), but you either got it or you don't and he's had enough time on good teams to show if has "it".
    Totally agree. Nice player on any given night. Plays with desire and intensity. Tough dude. Doesn't have the size, vision, IQ or range to be a top-10 starting guard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Copywryter wrote: View Post
    Totally agree. Nice player on any given night. Plays with desire and intensity. Tough dude. Doesn't have the size, vision, IQ or range to be a top-10 starting guard.
    20 teams don't have a top 10 starting PG, what you need is the right fit for your team.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know where you guys were a couple months ago. Sure could've helped when that poll came around and people were calling for Bayless to be the next great all-star PG.

Whoever rebutted the Chauncey Billups argument is absolutely correct. For every instance of a Chauncey Billups-type development you can probably name 3 instances of a team who invested their hopes too long in a dud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information