X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melo to the Clippers

First a little background to explain my thinking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nba

"I can't help it. Griffin is the most meaningful in-the-air player since Shawn Kemp. Throw in his competitive streak and he did the impossible -- he made Baron Davis care about basketball again. As my friend Tollin said last week, "It's amazing; it's like Baron has a purpose again." He's Blake's dunk muse. Now the Clips have the foundation of something special: Griffin, Davis, Eric Gordon (a future All-Star) and enough left to make a legitimate offer for Denver: lottery pick Al-Farouq Aminu, Chris Kaman, expiring contracts and the rights to Minnesota's unprotected 2012 pick (nearly as valuable a trade chip as Favors) for Carmelo and Al Harrington's horrendous contract that's the Carmelo Trade Tax. Mrs. Anthony could live in Hollywood and make her next unwatchable reality show. And her husband could play with Griffin, Gordon, Davis, Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan … a situation that's between five and 20 times more appealing than New Jersey. Even when you include Donald Sterling."

The Houston Rockets, LA Clippers and Golden State Warriors are all said to be willing to take Anthony as a "rental" without a long term extension and those teams are said to be offering more value than New York.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1Ax2Uzxe6

In the past, I've mentioned that the Toronto Raptors are a team to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches because of their young talent, expiring contracts, and large traded player exception. Once the drama surrounding Carmelo Anthony passes, league sources reiterated that they believe the Raptors will make a move. With so many teams waiting for a resolution on Anthony, Toronto has been limited in their discussions thus far. But once that's out of the way, one source said that they would be very surprised if the Raptors didn't make a move and described the front office as being "too quiet."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1AwbY8DJ5

Hopefully you are still with me. What if the Nuggets get totally fed up and say, "Screw you, Melo. You won't sign an extension with NJ which is our best deal and you get the $83M you want. The Knicks got d!ck and we don't want d!ck. We are sending you to the Clippers. You might not like it but it actually is the best possible trade for you and they don't care if you are a rental. If you want the $83M, you'll sign with them. Don't you read Bill Simmons or is the wife really the one with the balls?"

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4blp7j9

Nuggets are almost under luxury tax. A lot of payroll slashed for next year. They get to flip draft picks with LAC this year. Pistons second round pick. Heat first round draft pick. An all-star C in Kaman if he ever gets healthy and a great prospect in Aminu at SF. If Melo signs an extension they get T'Wolves 1st rounder from Clippers.

Clippers get this line up:
    PG: Davis, Bledsoe
    SG: Gordon, Barbosa, Foye, Warren
    SF: Melo, Gomes
    PF: Griffin, Harrington, Diogu
    C: Jordan, (and whatever they are doing now as Collins was waived)

They'd need one more player for minimum of 13 on roster. Melo would be retarded not to want to be a part of this and his wife can still be part of the 'entertainment' industry in LA. This team is better than anything NJ or DEN can offer and arguably the Knicks.

TOR gets a big man to play next to Bargnani as it could be argued Nene is more of a PF anyways. More deals would have to be done as they'd have 1 extra body than the allowed 15 and I think they are over the luxury tax. Also Nene might be flipped in another trade (maybe Jeff Green and MoPete for Nene?). Maybe more importantly the Raptors keep Melo on the West coast and out of the Atlantic division. Raps buyout Billups and he can go back to Denver in 30 days.

What do you think?

I read the Simmons article as well; he makes some very good points. He was preaching the same thing about LBJ in the summer. The fact of the matter is that Sterling has a horrible reputation. I'd be shocked if a top-tier FA (i know Mello isn't one, but at this point he might as well be) signed with the Clippers. If any more scandalus stuff comes out from the Baylor lawsuit, or if the judge rules against Sterling, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern strips him of the franchise and forces a sale. That would be fantastic for the league if LA had 2 top-tier teams playing in the same building every night of the season.
    I believe that this is all posturing on Melo's part, and that he is a greedy pro athlete, and will sign the extension with whoever offers it to him; the Nets, Knicks, Rockets, Clippers, Lakers, Hornets, whoever. There is so much uncertinity regarding the new CBA, nobody knows what the new max contracts will be worth. He's trying to get to the Knicks, but if I were the Knicks, I wouldn't gut the roster to get him. He'll take the deal from whoever will offer it, but I think it will drag on, as all the sides are posturing; Mello, the Nugs, the Nets, and all other interested teams are left on the outside looking in, waiting for someone to blink.
    As for the above trades, I like the idea of getting Nene, and have mentioned it before, but I don't like the whole Billups part. I have been opposed to buyouts ever since the whole Mourning fiasco. Make these guys play for pay. Besides that, good work!

Comment

If a team like Houston, Golden State, or LA Clippers make an offer better than the Knicks OR a three/four/five team trade occurs that gets Denver the assets it covets and he ends up in on one of those teams, Melo is screwed.

Melo is totally neutralized if a team is willing to take him on knowing they could very well lose him. I agree that whoever gets him and offers him the extension will have him for 4 years. No taxes in Houston. Big market in LA with a great support cast.

I hope that is what happens.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        If a team like Houston, Golden State, or LA Clippers make an offer better than the Knicks OR a three/four/five team trade occurs that gets Denver the assets it covets and he ends up in on one of those teams, Melo is screwed.

Melo is totally neutralized if a team is willing to take him on knowing they could very well lose him. I agree that whoever gets him and offers him the extension will have him for 4 years. No taxes in Houston. Big market in LA with a great support cast.

I hope that is what happens.
        Melo can get traded to the west. Teams like Houston, Golden State, etc. can waste their assets to acquire the guy, but the simple fact is that both him and wife would prefer to be on the east coast so that they're closet to their respective families.

Anthony will be a Knick when everything is said and done. It might not be via trade, but when it comes time to sign a contract, it will be with the Knicks.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
          Melo can get traded to the west. Teams like Houston, Golden State, etc. can waste their assets to acquire the guy, but the simple fact is that both him and wife would prefer to be on the east coast so that they're closet to their respective families.

Anthony will be a Knick when everything is said and done. It might not be via trade, but when it comes time to sign a contract, it will be with the Knicks.
          I believe that is the intention.

However if a team like LAC or HOU or GSW takes him on knowing they could lose him and whatever they gave up to get him, Melo is screwed. If a team will take him on without an extension, he loses all leverage and will have to forgo millions of guaranteed dollars.

If this was only about being next to family on the east coast, he'd be in NJ right now waiting for the move to Brooklyn.

Do not lose sight of the fact this is all about getting the extension as well.

He is going to have to choose one or the other.

If he gets traded to HOU/GSW/LAC and they offer him an extension, I think he takes it.

He would be giving up possibly $20+ million in guaranteed money otherwise.

Comment

I believe that is the intention.

However if a team like LAC or HOU or GSW takes him on knowing they could lose him and whatever they gave up to get him, Melo is screwed. If a team will take him on without an extension, he loses all leverage and will have to forgo millions of guaranteed dollars.

If this was only about being next to family on the east coast, he'd be in NJ right now waiting for the move to Brooklyn.

Do not lose sight of the fact this is all about getting the extension as well.

He is going to have to choose one or the other.

If he gets traded to HOU/GSW/LAC and they offer him an extension, I think he takes it.

He would be giving up possibly $20+ million in guaranteed money otherwise.
            The only person that would be screwed would be a team that "rents" him. You think Melo won't get his? You think he'll hit the open market and the Knicks won't give him what he wants? The Knicks and Melo are just waiting to happen.

If he gets traded to Houston, the Bay Area or LA, and they offer him an extension, I don't think he'll take it. Shit, he got offered the most from Denver and he turned them down, so what's so special about Houston, SF/Oakland or the Clippers? None of them are better than Denver right now.

It's not only being on the east coast, it's about playing on the biggest stage, one of the reasons why he doesn't want to committ to Denver. It's why he doesn't want to play for Jersey/Brooklyn. It's one thing for the Nets to be winning, but they'll always take a back seat to the Knicks. The Knicks are winning, it makes headlines everywhere. There's nothing like winning at MSG with the crowd behind you.

Comment

Ohh, a couple of Forum Heavyweights duking it out. Mango, I tend to agree with Matt; I really think that Melo is just posturing at this point, acting like the max extension doesn't mean that much to him, but I really think that the money is going to trump all here. For all the talk of the big 3 leaving money on the table this offseason, they really didn't lose that much. Melo could lose like 20 Mill if he signs after the new CBA, and the length of the contract could probably be restricted as well.
              I understand your point about the appeal of winning in NY; but that is all based on the idea that NY would actually be winning once they gut their assets and max out their cap space. I don't think they would be, especially since their 2 best players (Amare/Melo) don't do the things that winners do, like play defense.
              A trade to HOU, which has a lot of flexibility, cap space, and an excellent management team, could make them a very good team, very quickly.
              A trade to LAC, which has 2 very dynamic young players, + a motivated B Davis, in the 2nd biggest market in the country would be very appealing as well.
              I don't think that GS is a player in this at all.

Comment

The only person that would be screwed would be a team that "rents" him. You think Melo won't get his? You think he'll hit the open market and the Knicks won't give him what he wants? The Knicks and Melo are just waiting to happen.

If he gets traded to Houston, the Bay Area or LA, and they offer him an extension, I don't think he'll take it. Shit, he got offered the most from Denver and he turned them down, so what's so special about Houston, SF/Oakland or the Clippers? None of them are better than Denver right now.

It's not only being on the east coast, it's about playing on the biggest stage, one of the reasons why he doesn't want to committ to Denver. It's why he doesn't want to play for Jersey/Brooklyn. It's one thing for the Nets to be winning, but they'll always take a back seat to the Knicks. The Knicks are winning, it makes headlines everywhere. There's nothing like winning at MSG with the crowd behind you.
                "The only team that gets screwed is the team that rents him"

I disagree. He is an expiring contract if nothing else. I'm not going to talk about GSW because they are the least likely with absolutely no chance unless they give up Ellis. I could see something happen with Houston but highly doubt it. LAC makes the most sense so I'll talk about them.

If LAC trade for Melo they get Kaman off the books. If he won't take extension, they have just saved $12.2M next season. Yes they gave up Aminu but Jeff Green is on the market - how about a $12/13M dollar deal, Jeff? SF solved if Melo leaves.

I also disagree with the biggest stage. Vince Carter proved and Blake Griffin is doing it again that if you are exciting to watch, it doesn't matter what the team does, you'll be front and centre. Also, it just so happens that a healthy Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, Melo, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan is one crazy lineup which trumps anything the Knicks can put out there. Imagine the story of being the number one team in LA in 2 seasons while making over $20M a year.

I am in full agreement where he'd prefer to go but my point is if a team is willing to risk losing all assets to get him which reportedly there are, then if he wants to play in NY it will possibly cost him over $20M dollars. If the deal the Knicks are offering is less attractive in DEN's opinion (a 28 year old all-star C and promising lottery pick SF, possible flip of draft 2011/2013 picks, 2014 draft pick, Pistons 2nd round), DEN says, "Good luck, Carmelo. Enjoy LA for the winter and spring. You'll have $20M less to take back to NY with you unless you sign the extension." If he says "NO" then he loses $20M, trade goes through. If he says yes, DEN gets MIN's draft pick and the Clippers are no longer the laughingstock of the league and the Lakers are crapping their pants.

The question is: Does he want to play for the Knicks if it costs him $20M or more?
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jan 13, 2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

If the key thing was leaving money on the table, he would have signed the extension with Denver already. If the big thing to him was just to get out of Denver and go to the east coast, he would have agreed to going to New Jersey, but he has been posturing, so it leads me to believe that he doesn't want to be there either.

I believe he wants no part of the Clippers or Houston. I believe they're no different than the Denver situation at the present moment. That's just my opinion though. What do I know? I just post on a fan forum.

Comment

Simmons was talking the same bullshit about Lebron in the summer and how the Clippers was the best landing spot. Winning for the Clippers is nothing like winning in New York and especially when they're relevant.

Comment

The question is: Does he want to play for the Knicks if it costs him $20M or more?
                      He'll easily make it up in endorsements. Then again, the team that rents him can always work out a S & T with the Knicks by where the rental team can get a TPE for him.

Comment

If the key thing was leaving money on the table, he would have signed the extension with Denver already. If the big thing to him was just to get out of Denver and go to the east coast, he would have agreed to going to New Jersey, but he has been posturing, so it leads me to believe that he doesn't want to be there either.

I believe he wants no part of the Clippers or Houston. I believe they're no different than the Denver situation at the present moment. That's just my opinion though. What do I know? I just post on a fan forum.
                        I agree with what you are saying but a team willing to take him on, lose their assets, and then lose Melo is like trying to reason with an insane person with nothing to lose - there is nothing you can say or do to make them stop from doing what they want.

It is obvious he wants to go to NYK AND get his extension. The best of both worlds, cake and eat it too. However, it is looking like he might have to pick one or the other.

Comment

It is obvious he wants to go to NYK AND get his extension. The best of both worlds, cake and eat it too. However, it is looking like he might have to pick one or the other.
                          People saying the same thing about Bosh last year, that we held all the cards in free agency, that we'd get pieces back for him, but in the end we just got a TPE and a couple of late first round picks.

Comment

People saying the same thing about Bosh last year, that we held all the cards in free agency, that we'd get pieces back for him, but in the end we just got a TPE and a couple of late first round picks.
                            Very true. In that case it would be the rental team getting back scraps. The NYK really have d!ck all to offer in a trade.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense IMO. I don't see why Melo wouldn't do it. Beautiful city. Promising line-up of Bledsoe, Gordon, him, Griffin and Jordan. That is a very scary line-up. EXTREMELY ATHLETIC.

Comment

Working...
                              X