View Poll Results: What direction should the Raptors take?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tear it down - bye, bye Jose, Evans, Barbo!

    13 48.15%
  • Stay the course - keep everyone and add a couple of draft picks and free agents.

    10 37.04%
  • Make the playoffs this year, the future is now. AI, Wallace, Kaman!

    4 14.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Toronto's Options

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Most analysts say that 2012 is going to be a deeper draft pool then 2011. If we add with our top pick in 2011 (Kyrie Irving, Terrence Jones, or Enes Kanter) and then can add other talent in 2012 (Michael Gilchrist, Quincy Miller, or Austin Rivers). My dream is we add Kyrie Irving (amazing PG who gives us fantastic play on both sides of the court) and Michael Gilchrist (SF who says he takes rebounding and defense personally, plus from what I read he has a nice game near the basket...shot apparently needs work). Irving and Gilchrist were high school teammates and apparently are great friends...what a better way to keep them in Toronto long term.

    Ah...dreams are good!
    if only

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm all over tear it down for this season.

    What I mean is if the Raptors can't pick up young players or draft picks and other expirings to make trades work for cap purposes then they should let the contracts expire. The TPE will still be good at the draft so picking up a player like Gerald Wallace would be a smart move at that time. Picking up a player like that is only going to hurt draft positioning this year and possibily keep them in the dreaded 'fringe playoff team zone' for years to come. IMO this is worse than suffering through a couple of lottery/bottom feeder seasons. My understanding is the salary cap is calculated based on salary as of June 30 (if anyone knows different please correct me) so come draft time there could be financially strapped teams literally giving players away.

    The core of Bargnani, DD, Johnson, Davis, Bayless, Kleiza, and Alabi should be kept.
    Bring back Wright and Dorsey on minimum contracts if possible to round out the roster.

    I firmly believe Jose should be moved if it returns expirings, a young player, or a draft pick(s). Same with Barbosa. Same with Peja. Same with Evans. Barbosa and Calderon are obviously not expirings. Trading their contracts would save the Raptors around $17.3M off the payroll next season. That would take their payroll to around $27M plus whatever they get back in trades (if not expirings).

    The focus of the draft should be on getting a 2-way future star wing, first and foremost, and a PG, second.

    The TPE should only be used around the draft to get a player like Gerlad Wallace or Chris Kaman or whoever i.e. an established NBA who is borderline all-star or better - obviously the trading partner of the Raps would be cash strapped. Another way to use it would be to take back a short, bad contract to move up in the draft (much like OKC did this past draft). If Barbosa and Calderon are traded this scenario would not negatively impact financial flexibility at all which brings us to free agency.

    If Calderon and Barbosa are shipped out and little contract is brought back and/or the TPE is not used, the Raptors could be serious players in FA. Here is a list of potential free agents for 2011:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

    If I am allowed to dream for a moment, this is what I would like to see happen:

    PG: Irving, Bayless, (3rd string)
    SG: DD, Corey Brewer, Justin Holiday
    SF: Gerald Wallace, Kleiza, Chris Singleton
    PF: Davis, Johnson, Dorsey
    C: Bargnani, Hasheem Thabeet, Alabi

    Evans traded for Thabeet.
    Wallace obtained with TPE at/around draft.
    Calderon and Weems shipped to Minnesota in return for Brewer and Flynn (Brewer re-signed as RFA, Flynn traded for a mid 1st round draft pick, 16-22 range).
    Barbosa shipped to Golden State for Radmanovic and 2011 second round pick from Chicago (less favourable of PHX and UTA picks).

    If Calderon and Barbosa were traded, Kyrie Irving would be a legitimate draft possibility as we are currently set to draft 6th. Take those 2 guys away and things could really be ugly over a 20-25 game stretch.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kylie Irving is on everyone's list and we are not getting him.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Kylie Irving is on everyone's list and we are not getting him.
    Did you watch the game versus WSH? With Barbosa or Calderon out or traded, this team is top 3 pick for sure. BC could very easily be a seller at the trade deadline.

    Please note the Raptors are currently in line to pick 6th.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Perhaps picking sixth but our aim should be Terrence jones if anyone. I like fifth as it gives us enough balls to potentially get into the top three picks.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm all over tear it down for this season.

    What I mean is if the Raptors can't pick up young players or draft picks and other expirings to make trades work for cap purposes then they should let the contracts expire. The TPE will still be good at the draft so picking up a player like Gerald Wallace would be a smart move at that time. Picking up a player like that is only going to hurt draft positioning this year and possibily keep them in the dreaded 'fringe playoff team zone' for years to come. IMO this is worse than suffering through a couple of lottery/bottom feeder seasons. My understanding is the salary cap is calculated based on salary as of June 30 (if anyone knows different please correct me) so come draft time there could be financially strapped teams literally giving players away.

    The core of Bargnani, DD, Johnson, Davis, Bayless, Kleiza, and Alabi should be kept.
    Bring back Wright and Dorsey on minimum contracts if possible to round out the roster.

    I firmly believe Jose should be moved if it returns expirings, a young player, or a draft pick(s). Same with Barbosa. Same with Peja. Same with Evans. Barbosa and Calderon are obviously not expirings. Trading their contracts would save the Raptors around $17.3M off the payroll next season. That would take their payroll to around $27M plus whatever they get back in trades (if not expirings).

    The focus of the draft should be on getting a 2-way future star wing, first and foremost, and a PG, second.

    The TPE should only be used around the draft to get a player like Gerlad Wallace or Chris Kaman or whoever i.e. an established NBA who is borderline all-star or better - obviously the trading partner of the Raps would be cash strapped. Another way to use it would be to take back a short, bad contract to move up in the draft (much like OKC did this past draft). If Barbosa and Calderon are traded this scenario would not negatively impact financial flexibility at all which brings us to free agency.

    If Calderon and Barbosa are shipped out and little contract is brought back and/or the TPE is not used, the Raptors could be serious players in FA. Here is a list of potential free agents for 2011:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

    If I am allowed to dream for a moment, this is what I would like to see happen:

    PG: Irving, Bayless, (3rd string)
    SG: DD, Corey Brewer, Justin Holiday
    SF: Gerald Wallace, Kleiza, Chris Singleton
    PF: Davis, Johnson, Dorsey
    C: Bargnani, Hasheem Thabeet, Alabi

    Evans traded for Thabeet.
    Wallace obtained with TPE at/around draft.
    Calderon and Weems shipped to Minnesota in return for Brewer and Flynn (Brewer re-signed as RFA, Flynn traded for a mid 1st round draft pick, 16-22 range).
    Barbosa shipped to Golden State for Radmanovic and 2011 second round pick from Chicago (less favourable of PHX and UTA picks).

    If Calderon and Barbosa were traded, Kyrie Irving would be a legitimate draft possibility as we are currently set to draft 6th. Take those 2 guys away and things could really be ugly over a 20-25 game stretch.
    That would be best case scenario. I would love that to happen. Although I don't think doing all of that would be very possible. Especially Wallace, I'm not sure he would want to come to TO.
    Also, trading Calderon would mean we won't have any PG. And trading Barbosa would really limit us, and we'll probably struggle to win 20 games, which does favor us in the draft. But I'd be pretty unhappy to be losing night in night out.
    I think we should try and do a trade for Dragic, as he's unhappy at the moment and can become a pretty good PG.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    That would be best case scenario. I would love that to happen. Although I don't think doing all of that would be very possible. Especially Wallace, I'm not sure he would want to come to TO.
    Also, trading Calderon would mean we won't have any PG. And trading Barbosa would really limit us, and we'll probably struggle to win 20 games, which does favor us in the draft. But I'd be pretty unhappy to be losing night in night out.
    I think we should try and do a trade for Dragic, as he's unhappy at the moment and can become a pretty good PG.
    Yeah, I might have got a little carried away in my dream.

    Any Calderon trade would need to return a PG. It would definitely cause the rest of the season to become extremely difficult to endure. The way I look at it though, the inevitable Jose injury would make it torturous and beyond unbearable.

    Dragic might get what he wants and more if or when Nash is traded. Where there is smoke there is fire.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Did you watch the game versus WSH? With Barbosa or Calderon out or traded, this team is top 3 pick for sure. BC could very easily be a seller at the trade deadline.

    Please note the Raptors are currently in line to pick 6th.
    The current dip is because of injuries. get weems, reggie and bayless fit and we are in contention for the final playoff spot. We are bad but Cleveland, Sacremento and NJ are worse. besides selling Calderon and Barbossa while not replacing them would mean low attendances for the rest of the season.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    The current dip is because of injuries. get weems, reggie and bayless fit and we are in contention for the final playoff spot. We are bad but Cleveland, Sacremento and NJ are worse. besides selling Calderon and Barbossa while not replacing them would mean low attendances for the rest of the season.
    I am a huge Raptors fan and will root for them no matter what and have much optimism for the future of the team - near future at that. However that does not take away from the sad truth of their record and their record versus teams with even worse than their own:

    2-11 to start the season
    4 game winning streak (PHI, HOU, BOS, PHI)
    7-18 since

    Half the season is over and reality is starting to set in. The Raptors are currently slated to pick sixth overall. Of the teams below them:

    No doubt CLE is worse - 2-0 vs Cavs..
    SAC has beat us twice and have a much tougher schedule playing in the West so overall record may not be a fair comparison.
    NJ is certainly questionable and the fact the Raps are 1-0 against them eventhough they played bad means you probably are correct.
    WSH is 2-1 against the Raps.
    MIN is about on par, IMO.

    When a team's winning percentage is 32%, 3.5 games back with 40 games left to play is a big deal and without a major trade, playoffs are highly unlikely. I disagree with the health of Weems, Evans, and Bayless making a factor. Bayless is the only one I see back next year of those three.

    While CLE, SAC, and NJ may be worse, that still leaves 26 teams who are better - and only 16 playoff spots. And even that leaves the Raptors picking 4th overall. If Calderon or Barbosa are traded, especially Calderon, and a guy like Flynn is returned, the Raps are easily vying for the second worst record in the league - CLE are just so bad.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ugh stop saying we should draft terrence williams

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ugh stop saying we should draft terrence williams
    Who is Terrence Williams?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •