2011 Raptor's Goal - As a fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Raptor's Goal - As a fan

A lot of talk this season has been about what we should expect from this Raptors team, leaving a number of expected end results. Should they tank, trade up, contest each game.
    From a fans point of view you always want the team to do well, but specifically how well.
    This Season my goal for the Toronto Raptors is very simple. Get the 8 spot and play Miami in the first round. Why when we probably would lose. Very simple:
    1. Toronto gets tons of exposure playing the ESPN's darling Heat.
    2. Make it hell on earth for the Heat and make Bosh pay. Best way is for him to have to
    come to Toronto and deal with the Fans in an intense situation.
    3. Suprises can only do well for the franchise

Play the Heat in the first Round. Nuff said
    What is your goal for the outcome of this season. Please be specific
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
    A lot of talk this season has been about what we should expect from this Raptors team, leaving a number of expected end results. Should they tank, trade up, contest each game.
    From a fans point of view you always want the team to do well, but specifically how well.
    This Season my goal for the Toronto Raptors is very simple. Get the 8 spot and play Miami in the first round. Why when we probably would lose. Very simple:
    2. Make it hell on earth for the Heat and make Bosh pay. Best way is for him to have to

Well once again this season, the 7th and 8th spot is anyones "in the basement" game. The problem I have with this team is the amount of games we already lost, I mean I hope it's because of injuries, and not because we plain suck.

And at this point we have to be really, really bad to finish bottom 5 this year. So I'd have to say I'm with you on that, I don't expect it to happen, but would definitely welcome a match-up with the Heat, at least that way we'd be in the history books, "First team to ever face the Heatles in the playoffs", that sounds good on an otherwise pathetic season for the Raps.

Comment

get a top 5 pick for a franchise SF, PG in that order. trade jose, barbosa, kleiza, weems, bargs, peja, evans for draft picks. get a defensive coach, do the rebuild the right way.

Comment

Kyrie Irving being draft by the Raptors this draft is not really that far fetched. Right now we have the 6th pick. According to Espn he is projected to go in the TOP 10. If other teams below us at the moment make a big trade at the deadline and slightly improove over the raps we can definetly get a chance at Irving. Who knows maybe this year we get a little lucky at the draft and get picked to go 3,4,5 ? Who knows but I dont think Irving is a dream draft at the moment. Dont forget the raps are on a pretty tough road trip and by the end of it all are record might be something like 13-31/32

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...%3fyear%3d2011
        Last edited by pesterm1; Sun Jan 16, 2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I say that the best thing, would be for the Raps to flunk this season and rebuild for the future. Give our young players a lot of playing time so that they can grow and learn to produce at an NBA level. Then draft a young point guard such as Irving, Kemba Walker, or Brandon Knight; preferably Irving though.

Comment

The best thing for the team is the they keep their spirit up and compete in every game, and preferably be close in as many games as possible. With young players, the end of the game is tough, especially that they "don't have the respect" from refs to get calls. Remember the Hawks, get called on a moving screen, and then not get a call on body contact on a drive to the basket. If they can pull together and get a playoff spot, great. If they don't, take the lottery pick.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
              get a top 5 pick for a franchise SF, PG in that order. trade jose, barbosa, kleiza, weems, bargs, peja, evans for draft picks. get a defensive coach, do the rebuild the right way.
              This right here. If you're a real fan of the franchise then you should be looking long-term. Kyrie Irving is more of a possibility than you'd think; the Raps have the assets to move up in the draft to get him if they need to, and teams like Washington, Minnesota, and possibly New Jersey and Sacramento are set at point or have more pressing needs. So the Raps are in a good position to snag Irving depending on how the balls bounce.

Regardless, if I'm Triano then I'm putting the ball in the hands of the players that need the most development and the most touches, and I'm handing out playing time based on defensive effort. The only thing that's going to propel the franchise forward is to develop what little talent we have and make smart moves to secure more picks and projects.

Comment

I'm with you on this one. But I think Toronto is playing for a good draft pick right now. Healthy, we're a playoff team, maybe 7th. With Reggie, Leandro, Peja and even Sonny. But since the trade with the Hornets I realized that we're not playing for playoffs this year, at least, that's not a priority. Before the trade we had the best bench in the league, we had a perfect 10 men rotation. After the trade i hoped that Peja could give us a helping hand, and in his 3 games with the team, he showed he can play. But apparently there's not interest in Peja playing, no one believes he's injured.
                Besides that we suffered Reggie's injury and some other minor ones that make AB, Jose, Jerryd, Leandro, Amir and Sonny miss games.

With the entire roster playing to win, we're defently a playoff team, but I don't think that is a priority in the Raptors organization, and that's sad

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                  Last season and this summer I thought a big problem with the Raptors defense last season was Ivaroni. P.J. came with an excellent reputation as a defensive coach.

In the meantime the Raptors defense has hardly improved however the Clippers defense with Ivaroni as the defense coach has improved significantly.

I am beginning to think that it is the players as much if not more so than the coach.

You can't get fresh milk out of a cow that has been dead for a week.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                    This right here. If you're a real fan of the franchise then you should be looking long-term. Kyrie Irving is more of a possibility than you'd think; the Raps have the assets to move up in the draft to get him if they need to, and teams like Washington, Minnesota, and possibly New Jersey and Sacramento are set at point or have more pressing needs. So the Raps are in a good position to snag Irving depending on how the balls bounce.

Regardless, if I'm Triano then I'm putting the ball in the hands of the players that need the most development and the most touches, and I'm handing out playing time based on defensive effort. The only thing that's going to propel the franchise forward is to develop what little talent we have and make smart moves to secure more picks and projects.
                    I guess you will never be a HOF coach if you hand out playing time based upon effort. Pop said to G. Hill tonight during the Spurs - Denver game "Kid if you want playing time you had better laugh at my jokes". Guess what. Hill laughed and then Pop put him in the game. True story
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      Last season and this summer I thought a big problem with the Raptors defense last season was Ivaroni. P.J. came with an excellent reputation as a defensive coach.

In the meantime the Raptors defense has hardly improved however the Clippers defense with Ivaroni as the defense coach has improved significantly.

I am beginning to think that it is the players as much if not more so than the coach.

You can't get fresh milk out of a cow that has been dead for a week.
                      Lol at the comment in red above. Yes, they might not be good defensive players but a good defensive coach gets players to buy into his system if not they ride the pine a la Tom Thibbodeau with Carlos Boozer when he had a bad defensive game some games ago or Gregg Poppovich pulling his starters against the New York Knicks with the game still winnable after a terrible defensive game.

Players like Ginobili, Tony Parker, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng are average defensive players but they are good team defenders. why? They know they can at least funnel their guys towards help defense from big men, seal the baseline or trap at a side of the court all fundamental defensive strategies this team under Triano does not have(how about some variations of the zone too or sometimes in suprise a full court or side court press, give some different defensive strategies to keep your opponents on their toes a la the Green Bay Packers or Ravens defense which forces fumbles from the quarterback and receivers, get sacks on the quarterback, side or full blitzes on the quarterback or sit in the pocket unlike the lazy defense of the New York Jets and New Orleans Saints by sitting in the pocket).

When you have soft players like Yi Jianlian waltzing to the rim and dunking(which was Bargs defensive blunder) or you see someone like DD resuscitating T-mac(he got zero points the next game) or being ripped a new one by Nick Young and they are not benched for a while, you know Triano as a coach is instituting an era of no defensive accountability which will be a cog in the wheel of progress of this team when they are ready to contend.

"Nuff said.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        I guess you will never be a HOF coach if you hand out playing time based upon effort. Pop said to G. Hill tonight during the Spurs - Denver game "Kid if you want playing time you had better laugh at my jokes". Guess what. Hill laughed and then Pop put him in the game. True story
                        was actually Gary Neal lol - good player still(hits the 3 ball and other shots well and shows good defensive fundamentals, will be starting on this team if he were here).

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I don't understand the focus on Bosh and the Heat. Your focus for the entire season seems to be based on one game. What is booing Bosh going to do? Make him realize how important he was to the franchise? Make him realize how much Raptor fans were upset to see him go?

If you want to make him feel bad, don't do ANYTHING. Don't cheer, don't boo. Make him feel like he's just another player.

Personally, I don't care in the least about Bosh and the Heat playing at the ACC. I don't really blame Bosh for wanting to leave because they failed to surround him with even one All -Star during his 6 years in Toronto and it's pretty obvious they weren't going to be contenders anytime soon.

And I think the Raptors might be better off in the long term not trying to build around a player who simply wasn't good enough to build around. Hopefully they have learned their lesson, but it appears they may be making the exact same mistake again. Hopefully not.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            If you want to make him feel bad, don't do ANYTHING. Don't cheer, don't boo. Make him feel like he's just another player.
                            ya, that'll really happen.

would you be interested in buying some magic beans? i swear, they're magic.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              ya, that'll really happen.

would you be interested in buying some magic beans? i swear, they're magic.
                              I never said people would do that, but that WOULD be the best thing to do if you really want to annoy him. Raptor fans, of course, are brainless in this respect. Continuing to boo Vince Carter MUST boost his ego, which is why he raises his game when he plays in Toronto. He's been gone for SIX YEARS. What is the point of continuing to boo him? I really, really don't understand.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X