Johnson's Game vs The Wiz Sat 01-15-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson's Game vs The Wiz Sat 01-15-11

Let me begin by saying he pretty much stunk it up in the first half. The second was a little better but overall this was a pretty bad game. Besides what I saw his plus/minus was an awful -13. Pretty bad game or was it?

Davis was clearly the better of the two tonight without a question.

So why I am starting this thread?

I got to thinking about Johnson's game tonight and it came to me that as I recall Johnson for some reason has never played good against the Wiz. I think a big part of it is because the matchups are just bad for him.

So I decided to check out what Johnson's career game log vs the Wiz looks like.

Numbers on the left are his average numbers per game over the ten previous games that he had played against them. Numbers on the right are tonight's numbers

Games----10------1
    --------------------------
    MPG------14------30
    FGM-------1--------4
    FGA-------3--------8
    FGM-------1--------4
    FTA--------1-------4
    Reb-------3--------10
    PF---------3--------3
    Points-----3--------12

All of tonight's numbers (PF not included) either tied or were career bests vs the Wiz.

What I have observed since Johnson has become a starter is that he is definitely sacrificing his defense to reduce his foul rate.

I have no idea whether he will ever be able to play good defense without fouling.

Only time will tell
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

he should not be a starter much longer. His role will be a spark off the bench. I know his back is really bad and I commend him for working so hard through it. However vs WSH he had some real bonehead plays resulting in easy buckets for WSH. This was one of those games where a players stat line does not give a good indication of their real impact on the game and the plus/minus actually does.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      he should not be a starter much longer. His role will be a spark off the bench. I know his back is really bad and I commend him for working so hard through it. However vs WSH he had some real bonehead plays resulting in easy buckets for WSH. This was one of those games where a players stat line does not give a good indication of their real impact on the game and the plus/minus actually does.
      1. You have been and continue to be a Johnson hater. That is a fact
      2. I said that the numbers confirmed what I saw take place. - You are a Johnson hater. That is a fact
      3. The point of the post was to point out as badly as he played it was probably his best game ever against the Wiz in 11 total games. That is a fact - You are a Johnson hater. That is a fact.

For the record he does not have a bad back. He had a back injury inflicted by a Pau Gasol right forearm shiv. That is a fact.

His back is no longer bothering him so you what you know is incorrect. That is a fact.

Because of the fact that you are a Johnson hater you have been on ignore for quite a long time but occasionally when I want a chuckle I read your posts.

Have a nice day
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jan 16, 2011, 11:10 AM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Your uncalled for reply to Matt is just another reason I think you should be seeking mental help.

That is a fact.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          1. You have been and continue to be a Johnson hater. That is a fact
          2. I said that the numbers confirmed what I saw take place. - You are a Johnson hater. That is a fact
          3. The point of the post was to point out as badly as he played it was probably his best game ever against the Wiz in 11 total games. That is a fact - You are a Johnson hater. That is a fact.

For the record he does not have a bad back. He had a back injury inflicted by a Pau Gasol right forearm shiv. That is a fact.

His back is no longer bothering him so you what you know is incorrect. That is a fact.

Because of the fact that you are a Johnson hater you have been on ignore for quite a long time but occasionally when I want a chuckle I read your posts.

Have a nice day
          Buddah, I'll assume you are having a bad day and I touched a nerve.

If you read my posts, the numerous trade ideas for the Raps, and who I see the team building around not once have I ever suggested or said Johnson should be traded or his contract was horrible. I thought the contract was a bit rich but Johnson being 23 and the development he has shown, he is a part of the Raptors going forward - no doubt.

When I say Amir will not be starting it is because Davis is developing at an alarmingly fast rate. I have constantly said, and continue to think, Amir's role will be first big man off the bench. That is not a slight to Amir - as I have said numerous times in the past. Amir, while IMO not a starting calibre talent on a good team, is certainly better than the majority of reserves on all teams. IMO, he should be playing 25-30mins a night off the bench - more if injury or fouls or poor play from a starter warrants it.

If you read who I think the Raptors should be building around, Johnson is always mentioned and if not, it is an oversight. However, I do not feel he is a starting PF going forward, especially with Ed Davis improving. Obviously we have a difference of opinion on Bargnani as I believe you have suggested trading him many times and starting Amir and Davis - on this I couldn't disagree more.

As for this game, go watch the game, he had a couple of really bad plays and shots that resulted in easy buckets for WSH. He has a good stat line, and it actually surprised me when I checked the boxscore, but I still thought he played poorly. This comment also applies to Bargnani - except for FG% his numbers were good but his game was crap. DD played awful. The only player who played extremely well was Calderon. Without him, in this game, it would have been a romp. Davis played very good but he always gets the rookie grain of salt. Gaines, while forcing a little at times, played pretty well considering he has practiced with the team once. Wright, Kleiza - blah.

Feel free to criticize my opinion but please keep fact and fiction straight.

Hopefully you read this eventhough I'm on ignore. FWIW I value your insights and comments and it is disappointing to see such an angry response to a comment that was neither derogatory towards any player or yourself and merely expressed a differnce of opinion.

Comment

Buddha, you just went to a new low.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
              Buddha, you just went to a new low.
              No I was just not being PC. You have to learn your history.

I know a bit about the history of this issue that I doubt that you are privy to.

Have a nice day.

Comment

It's nice that Bf has insider knowledge of Amir and his back. I mean I see him wincing and grabbing for it less than a week ago but to me it still looks like he's feeling it. As someone who has had back problems in the past I know that even when it's not debilitating it can still act up, especially with exertion. That is a fact.

Although Special Ed is showing signs that his ceiling may be higher than Amir, he's not ready for the starters role yet IMO. I like Amir with Jose and he plays well enough off Andrea but it means there's not much physicality in the post. As the raptors move forward there will come a time to consider moving Amir back to the bench or to a new team. I just don't see a front court of ED/AJ being big enough.
                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

oh, and to support my statement Devlin just stated that Amir still has lingering lower back pain (1st 5 min of 1st q vs NOH), and that's a FACT.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X