Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Do Think Triano Will Move Davis Into A Starting Role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do Think Triano Will Move Davis Into A Starting Role?

Davis had a very good game last night in close to 30 minutes. There is a good chance that the Raptors would have won last night had Davis started.

No doubt that the pressure on Triano to start the lottery pick from an elite school with a NBA pedigree is mounting by the game. Add to that the fact that Davis is also left-handed like the former Raptors all-star player who started for years at the PF slot for them and the pressure for Triano to start Davis is being cranked up like a Pioneer VSX-1020-K.

So the question is when do you think that Triano will cave and begin to start Davis?
    Monday
    20.00%
    When The Raptors Return From This Raod Trip
    20.00%
    Right After The All-Star Game
    10.00%
    I Don't Know But It Can't Be Soon Enough For Me
    50.00%
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jan 16, 2011, 11:58 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

"When the Raptors return from this road trip"....

if his play warrants it. If he puts together a few good games in extended minutes, absolutely. If he regresses in the starting lineup, back to the bench, and earn it back.

Comment

Sooner than you think Buddah. Johnson (with his back perhaps), is not playing well of late. However, Davis is so raw still (I don't blame him, he's young, played one year of college ball). He does look like a steal at number 13.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        Sooner than you think Buddah. Johnson (with his back perhaps), is not playing well of late. However, Davis is so raw still (I don't blame him, he's young, played one year of college ball). He does look like a steal at number 13.
        Davis played 2 years in college.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
          He was injured for most of the second year, so it doesn't really count.

He is FG% is way better that Bosh's on his rookie year, so there is no reason he shouldn't he start right now.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Johnson's back is no longer injured to the point where it is having much of an effect on his game. I watched the game last night and he was moving and running normally as far as I could see.

Also,

1. He wouldn't grab 10 rebounds in two consecutive games in under 30 mpg for those two games if his back was still bothering him.
            2. He was asked the direct question during an interview before last nights game about his back and whether it was still bothering him. He said no.
            3. Yes their were reports that he tweaked it in practice but my guess is that he is probably at about 90% or more recovered from the injury not enough to effect is game very much.

I think his problem is on defense, due to the fact that he is trying to learn how to play without committing fouls so that he can stay on the court.

He has always been a super aggressive defender, too much so in my opinion. This could be due to several reasons one of which I am pretty sure is due to how the Pistons wanted him to play and the fact that they never needed his offense so they never helped him develop it. He has never been asked to play more than 20 a minutes a game over an extended period of time in his career up until now, except maybe when he started 24 games for the Pistons in 2008-09.

As a result he is trying to learn how to play effective defense without committing so many fouls. I have no idea whether he will ever be able to do that.

Also, once you are labeled a certain way it becomes very difficult to shake off that label. People regard him as an bench energy player because that is what he was asked to be and was with the Pistons. Now he has been asked to learn how be a complete two way player and play extended starters minutes. Whether he will ever do that only time will tell
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
              Davis did not play two years in college. He played a little over 1.5 seasons in college. On top of that he averaged under 20 mpg as a freshman. So in terms of actually minutes played using 30 mpg as norm for a college starter Davis played the equivalent of about 1 1/4 seasons at UNC.

He played 38 games as freshman and only 23 as a sophomore due to the hand injury

Comment

AJM wrote: View Post
                He was injured for most of the second year, so it doesn't really count.

He is FG% is way better that Bosh's on his rookie year, so there is no reason he shouldn't he start right now.
                I was curious how many double standards would pop up on this issue. You have posted the first one.

Johnson is a way better shooter than Davis especially at the free throw line 80% vs 54%. Davis shot about 60% from the FT line at UNC over two seasons. However that was before he broke his left wrist which connects to his shooting hand. Interesting that Davis does not take too many open jump shots and make too many of those that he takes. He is shooting 29% from beyond 10 feet Johnson on the other hand is shooting over 40% from beyond 10 feet.

The question I have is how bad was Davis injury and has it negatively affected his long term ability to shoot beyond 10 feet?

Maybe that is why he fell to he 13th spot in the draft?

Only time will tell.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  I was curious how many double standards would pop up on this issue. You have posted the first one.

Johnson is a way better shooter than Davis especially at the free throw line 80% vs 54%. Davis shot about 60% from the FT line at UNC over two seasons. However that was before he broke his left wrist which connects to his shooting hand. Interesting that Davis does not take too many open jump shots and make too many of those that he takes. He is shooting 29% from beyond 10 feet Johnson on the other hand is shooting over 40% from beyond 10 feet.

The question I have is how bad was Davis injury and has it negatively affected his long term ability to shoot beyond 10 feet?

Maybe that is why he fell to he 13th spot in the draft?

Only time will tell.
                  To be honest I don't really care about Amir because I don't think of him as a starter. I was just comparing Davis and Bosh on their first year. We can hate Bosh but he is the best PF that this franchise ever had; therefore I was comparing Davis for what we hope he becomes.
                  Amir can be better in all categories this year but I still rather Davis to start, so he can gain experience for future.

Comment

Never. Amir should stay in the starting lineup.

AJM wrote: View Post
                    To be honest I don't really care about Amir because I don't think of him as a starter. I was just comparing Davis and Bosh on their first year. We can hate Bosh but he is the best PF that this franchise ever had; therefore I was comparing Davis for what we hope he becomes.
                    Amir can be better in all categories this year but I still rather Davis to start, so he can gain experience for future.
                    DON'T compare Bosh to Davis. They are 2 totally different players. Bosh is more of a jumpshooting and rebounding PF and Davis is someone who works near the basket and gets rebounds and blocks.
                    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X