The Real Reasons The Raptors Lost To The Hornets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Reasons The Raptors Lost To The Hornets

It was not because of all the offensive rebounds that the Raptors gave up.

Yes they gave up a lot of second chance points

But lets look a little bit into the simple box score

The Hornets scored on 85 points on 87 shots
    . Any time you hold your opponent to under 1 point per FGA for the entire game you should win.

The worst scoring team, the Bucks averages 1.14 points per FGA

The best scoring team, the Knicks averages 1.29 poins per FGA

So for the game the Raptors did a very good job in holding the Hornets to under 1.00 point per FGA.

The Raptors took only 74 FGAs compared to the Hornets 87 FGAs and the Raptors made only 13 or 20 Free throws.

Yes it is true that if the Hornets had not gotten so many second chance points they would have scored less.

However the Hornets who are the best defensive team in the NBA based upon the fewest points allowed per game give up 1.18 points per FGA. The Raptors managed only 1.09 points per FGA vs them. The Hornets also give up an average of 78 FGAs per game yet the Raptors managed only 74 FGAs attempt them.

The Raptors lost the game because they turned the ball over six more times than the Hornets thereby giving the Hornets six free as it were extra possessions. The Raptors also did not make their free throws 13 of 20 and made only 2 of 13 three point attempts both abysmal shooting percentages for those two categories.

On the road the general rule is that you need to not turn the ball over and make your free throws in order to win. Both of which the Raptors did not do.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:27 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

They lost because of the refs. They made mistakes but not enough to lose by what they lost by. If anything, we should have won by the same amount we lost by. ALL things considered. Our team, as HUMAN BEINGS, are gonna feel shitty if all they've tried to do the right thing and get a blown whistle against them, whether an offensive or defensive. It just sucks for the Raps that even our "fans" side with the opposition because it's the "in" thing to do. We WON that game...i don't care what anyone says. Me, you...we're FANS and do not watch every game in the NBA, and follow EVERY team's games like the professionals do. So, we're not there to see alot of things. So, if people like Paul Jones, Leo Rautins, Jack Armstrong, Eric Hughes, Matt Devlin, other Raptor players, coaches, MEDIA are all telling us that the officiating was shitty...even at OTHER games, then we should put down our own biases and at least listen. I KNOW we shot ourselves in the foot, at times. BUT...when your whole game plan gets thrown out the window because the refs wanna be gambling, self-loathing, biased P***IES, then ofcourse the biased media comes in, then the fans fall for the media's trap and start dissing their own. Remember, the players are just human. We have a YOUNG team, who are not used to this type of biased officiating. In college and high school, the refs are a little or alot better than NBA refs. One just needs to look back at our team's games and see. Then compare it to other teams. ALL I know is some of the stats on our team cannot be true because of the shitty reffing. Just like they are biased to players like Amir and DeMar, who both work extremely hard, I will be biased to the refs...since, after all, they were betting on games that we INDEED played in....AND LOST. So, David Stern needs to handle that shit, or the attendance will go down, overall, and people will watch other sports. Maybe not now, or anytime soon...but we DO KNOW, from Stern himself, that attendance has dropped. He needs to scale back the power that these refs now have. This "T-Up a player" for disputing a call or throwing his arms in the air from disbelief is absolutely wack!!!! The refs seem to have more power than Stern, this year. I hate him. Just because players are veterans and been in the league longer than rooks and sophs doesn't mean they SHOULD get calls their way. A foul is a foul...bottom line. Jus sayin.
    Last edited by GameBreaker; Tue Jan 18, 2011, 04:08 PM.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
      They lost because of the refs. They made mistakes but not enough to lose by what they lost by. If anything, we should have won by the same amount we lost by. ALL things considered. Our team, as HUMAN BEINGS, are gonna feel shitty if all they've tried to do the right thing and get a blown whistle against them, whether an offensive or defensive. It just sucks for the Raps that even our "fans" side with the opposition because it's the "in" thing to do. We WON that game...i don't care what anyone says. Me, you...we're FANS and do not watch every game in the NBA, and follow EVERY team's games like the professionals do. So, we're not there to see alot of things. So, if people like Paul Jones, Leo Rautins, Jack Armstrong, Eric Hughes, Matt Devlin, other Raptor players, coaches, MEDIA are all telling us that the officiating was shitty...even at OTHER games, then we should put down our own biases and at least listen. I KNOW we shot ourselves in the foot, at times. BUT...when your whole game plan gets thrown out the window because the refs wanna be gambling, self-loathing, biased P***IES, then ofcourse the biased media comes in, then the fans fall for the media's trap and start dissing their own. Remember, the players are just human. We have a YOUNG team, who are not used to this type of biased officiating. In college and high school, the refs are a little or alot better than NBA refs. One just needs to look back at our team's games and see. Then compare it to other teams. ALL I know is some of the stats on our team cannot be true because of the shitty reffing. Just like they are biased to players like Amir and DeMar, who both work extremely hard, I will be biased to the refs...since, after all, they were betting on games that we INDEED played in....AND LOST. So, David Stern needs to handle that shit, or the attendance will go down, overall, and people will watch other sports. Maybe not now, or anytime soon...but we DO KNOW, from Stern himself, that attendance has dropped. He needs to scale back the power that these refs now have. This "T-Up a player" for disputing a call or throwing his arms in the air from disbelief is absolutely wack!!!! The refs seem to have more power than Stern, this year. I hate him. Just because players are veterans and been in the league longer than rooks and sophs doesn't mean they SHOULD get calls their way. A foul is a foul...bottom line. Jus sayin.
      yes.... but tell us how you REALLY feel about the refs.

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
        I agree. When they asked Phil Jackson about this he said refs make their decisions "whimsically". I think it's a farce that their boneheaded decisions, which I'm certain are motivated by other reasons, can screw over a team. I hate that players have to "earn" calls. Who's league is this, the players' or the refs'? I remember there was a game 2 yrs ago in ATL, we were down by like 2 pts. Smitch called a play for Delfino to inbound to TJ Ford of all people on an alley oop. The play worked, and the shot went down before the clock expired. Refs decided the clock had expired, end of story, we lose game. Absolute BS.

Then again, look at soccer, poor Frank Lampard hit net and the refs waive it off.

Sports are corrupt.

Comment

It is absolutely True.

The players know it. But they all know that the dirty secret is part of the corporation that pays them well. So, they shut up. Remember Vince getting hammared against the Lakers by 2 guys? He complained endlessly to the refs and had that frustrated look. Seemed to be making his way out of town after that. Bosh had a few incidents in the first half of last year. This respect shit is what it is about. You have to be on a winner or with a marketing meal ticket to get a fair deal. If the Thunder did not have a cover boy in Durrant, it would not matter how well they played.
          I admit that I cannot help following the game, but I refuse to spend any money on it beyond being exposed to advertising on cable. Colangelo does not want to make a big deal about it, fine, but he's lost some 5 games from me.

We talk about player loyalty, but the NBA is a pure modern market corrupt money machine. Good on Bosh and Bron for taking a little initiative and becoming their own corporation. League does not procure nor deserve stars with integrity.

Comment

They never cleaned up the game after the Tim Donahey thing, just played denial. If they didn't then, there is no way they will now. they will regulate the problems like Bush regulating Enron.
            I like to play "who will win the lottery?". Cleveland was in trouble and a shitty team - got Lebron. Chicago needed to start winning aagain, got Rose. Want a rebirth in Washington after all that the have been through, get them Wall. Think Indiana will rate a top pick? Only if the team is in serious financial trouble. Next year? Not the Nets - they might get it for the move to Brooklyn the following year. Actually, that is a possibility.

Comment

Can someone post a replay of Amir's final "blocked" shot against New Orleans? I'd sure like to see it. And maybe a better video of Amir's final foul that people say he couldn't have made as he had his back to the play. The NBA highlight video shows that play, but, of course, you cannot see a thing with low quality Flash and all.

I agree with much of the sentiments here. So many close games get decided by questionable calls (or non-calls) in the final minutes of a game that the integrity of the refs definitely looks dubious. Imaging the Hornets on that final shot, if they figured the refs want them to win, would definitely hack away. And Triano should know this too and plan a different sort of shot, but that's another topic I guess.

Comment

We lost because our 7-foot all star center was a spectator all game long and actually allowed his man to gather 12 offensive rebounds. Didn't box out, didn't bother. Period.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

definitely a tough pill to swallow as a RAPS fan......the officiating is really starting to get on my nerves here, both from the NOH game and the nasty ATL game that also should have been a Raptors W.......those are the kind of losses you can come to expect from a team that is rebuilding though, bad calls or not
                  Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Working...
                  X