No announcement yet.

Rookie Ladder: Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he can be an All Star too. it is a BIG shame he got that injury and surgery in the summer. I would loved to have seen him come out gangbusters from the get go. Who knows how much the surgery has impeded his development as well.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
      gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree. albeit he's averaging 9 and 3 in 19 minutes rather than 6 and 6 in 20, but whatever. he bounced around europe for three years too, so he is the epitome of not hyped/not 'ESPN Pedigree'/whatever your point is (but he is also 5th in ESPN's rookie rankings on their awards watch fwiw)

also your original post is an incoherent rant about ESPN and I just can't figure out what the hell that has to do with NBA.com, which is the source multipaul linked to.
      Gary Neal is not averaging only 6 ppg in just 24 games.

He is averaging 9 ppg over 41 games and playing for what could be the best team in the NBA with at least one HOF player and a HOF coach. So even though he doesn't come from an elite college he plays for an elite NBA team and gets plenty of national TV exposure.

I guess I should have said elite college or elite NBA team that gives the player a lot of national TV exposure.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Agreed on Paul George's talent level, I'm glad Indiana is finally starting to give him minutes.

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
          You can write all of reviews of Ed Davis as you want, but the fact is, we haven't even seen the kid play half the season yet due to early injuries, so how deep can you really dig into his play so far to give a grade as low as C? His offence, yes, still very raw and needs some work, but offence is not what the raptors are in need of - it is obviously D, and as soon as he steps on the floor, his presence on D is felt, and Appolo, I hope you're right about future all-star for Davis, because that would be a huge help to the Raps
          So tell me you would give Oden an incomplete too?

I doubt that Blazers fans would give him an incomplete.

It is what it is at this point. You can't wipe away missed games because of injury in evaluating a player. Injuries are part of the game. Players like D. Fisher, A. Miller who never or rarely miss games at add a lot of value to their teams because of it.

I am hopeful Davis plays in all the remaining 41 games.

As far as his shooting goes it too is pretty much what it is. He had a NBA father and a great college program to teach him how to shoot.

In my book the "raw" doesn't apply to Davis. Lack of actual NBA experience yes but "raw" no, not when you have his background. There should be no excuses for him not being at least an average shooter from beyond nine feet. He has had plenty of opportunity to learn from the right people and so far despite years of it has not shown that it has made him an acceptable shooter from more than nine feet.

Of course like I said he does not have NBA experience so his shooting should improve somewhat as he gets more of it, but raw no way.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
            gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree.
            not to argue with you, but he was kind of a big deal the year he spent at Lasalle, before he got booted out and went to towson.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              So tell me you would give Oden an incomplete too?

I doubt that Blazers fans would give him an incomplete.

It is what it is at this point. You can't wipe away missed games because of injury in evaluating a player. Injuries are part of the game. Players like D. Fisher, A. Miller who never or rarely miss games at add a lot of value to their teams because of it.

I am hopeful Davis plays in all the remaining 41 games.

As far as his shooting goes it too is pretty much what it is. He had a NBA father and a great college program to teach him how to shoot.

In my book the "raw" doesn't apply to Davis. Lack of actual NBA experience yes but "raw" no, not when you have his background. There should be no excuses for him not being at least an average shooter from beyond nine feet. He has had plenty of opportunity to learn from the right people and so far despite years of it has not shown that it has made him an acceptable shooter from more than nine feet.

Of course like I said he does not have NBA experience so his shooting should improve somewhat as he gets more of it, but raw no way.
              Hey paeson, lets clear this up.

If your dad was a famous pastry chef, and you spent your childhood watching him bake pastry, and eating his biscuit mix, doesn't mean you will grow up to be Betty Crocker by default.

Ed has had to work hard, and it shows. Just cuz he went through a good college program and had a baller dad doesnt mean he should be a great shooter. Everyone is different, that's what makes the world great isnt it.

Comment

Not to mention that he plays within his abilities. He knows he's not a good shooter and so he keeps it close to the bucket. I don't see the offense hurting when he's on the floor. He doesn't need to score the ball from everywhere on the court, his thing is in the paint. We should hope and pray that he continues to center in on scoring in the paint and low post defense. When I hear all this criticism about Ed's and DeMar's mid-range and perimeter shooting I just have to chuckle. We've been watching this team play like London Silly Nannies for going on a decade and suddenly Colangelo starts bringing in guys who want to bang in the paint, who don't want to settle for jump shots, who want to play the odds and they get criticized for not being able to shoot outside. Give me a break. If they develop outside shooting then great, if not I don't give a crap as long as they keep improving around the bucket. Guys, jump shooting teams don't win Championships. Tough teams win championships. I want the guys looking for contact on my team. The Raptors have a great staff. Ed can learn shot mechanics but you can't teach his God given natural abilities.
                Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Not to mention that he plays within his abilities. He knows he's not a good shooter and so he keeps it close to the bucket. I don't see the offense hurting when he's on the floor. He doesn't need to score the ball from everywhere on the court, his thing is in the paint. We should hope and pray that he continues to center in on scoring in the paint and low post defense. When I hear all this criticism about Ed's and DeMar's mid-range and perimeter shooting I just have to chuckle. We've been watching this team play like London Silly Nannies for going on a decade and suddenly Colangelo starts bringing in guys who want to bang in the paint, who don't want to settle for jump shots, who want to play the odds and they get criticized for not being able to shoot outside. Give me a break. If they develop outside shooting then great, if not I don't give a crap as long as they keep improving around the bucket. Guys, jump shooting teams don't win Championships. Tough teams win championships. I want the guys looking for contact on my team. The Raptors have a great staff. Ed can learn shot mechanics but you can't teach his God given natural abilities.
                  +1

The Raps have seen their fair share of players regress into average jump shooters...Vince..Jamario...heck, Sonny...keep these guys banging hard to the bucket. Hopefully soon they will "earn" the respect of the refs as Jack would say.

Comment

Ya I for one am glad he's not turning out to be our next Kris Humphries. He takes good shots within the offense. He gets ZERO plays run for him, so when he scores, as I said above, its nothing but a bonus for the squad on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                    X