Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Triano Finally calls out Demar and Barg's Effort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Bargnani played more minutes than both Amir and Davis. And Dorsey played all of two minutes.

As for playing when your knees are messed up, I don't think you have any idea who you're talking to. I'm currently out with my 4th major knee injury since I was 20. And that's not counting the numerous times my knee(s) simply hurt or I tweaked them. I've played most of my adult life on bad knees. At my age, EVERYTHING hurts when you play. I've played when I couldn't walk up the stairs. I've played with torn ligament in my ankle. I've played with dislocated and broken fingers. I've played with concussions, a fractured orbit bone (so I couldn't feel half my face), a chipped vertebrae (I can't tell you how painful that was), numerous sprains and I always played hard, especially on defense. The only times I have not played is when playing would cause great harm to an injury (and even then sometimes). And I've never once been paid to play basketball. Obviously there were times when I had to alter my game because of some injury, but I never played with the lack of energy that Bargnani did. There were obviously things I could not do that I could normally do, but I always found a way to help my team win.

Playing injured is not an excuse. Believe me. I never, ever want to hear that someone couldn't give full effort because he was injured.
    I played football with ripped ligaments in my knee, so I know exactly how it is to have messed up knees and to try to play through pain. So I don't think you want to be calling me out.

You're not as effective when you have something bothering you like a knee injury and trying to play at a high level. It's not like you're playing pickup ball at the Y or CIS ball. This is the highest level of ball in the world. This team is such a mash unit, it's not like they can afford to rest Bargnani in order for him to recover.

Then again, in terms of Bargnani, I can see his knees getting in the way on the offensive end because if your knees are not in your shot, chances are, that ball isn't as likely to go in the hoop. However, have we ever really seen him play with emotion or any real effort? Even when healthy healthy, it looks like he doesn't put out much effort on the defensive end anyway.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I played football with ripped ligaments in my knee, so I know exactly how it is to have messed up knees and to try to play through pain. So I don't think you want to be calling me out.

You're not as effective when you have something bothering you like a knee injury and trying to play at a high level. It's not like you're playing pickup ball at the Y or CIS ball. This is the highest level of ball in the world. This team is such a mash unit, it's not like they can afford to rest Bargnani in order for him to recover.

Then again, in terms of Bargnani, I can see his knees getting in the way on the offensive end because if your knees are not in your shot, chances are, that ball isn't as likely to go in the hoop. However, have we ever really seen him play with emotion or any real effort? Even when healthy healthy, it looks like he doesn't put out much effort on the defensive end anyway.
    I'm not calling you out, but you said...

Try playing when your knees are messed up. I can guarantee that your game goes out the window.
    I obviously have. And obviously haven't played at a high level, but my complaint is not in his effectiveness on the offensive end. It never has been. I'm never going to bash a guy for having a few games where he can't hit a shot. Anyone who's ever played or even watched basketball knows that happens on a frequent basis. The problem with Bargnani, though, is when he's not hitting he's a complete liability. When I'm hurting, I try and find a way to be effective. That's what all good players do.

I remember a game earlier this year when Tim Duncan couldn't score, so he became a passer and helped his team win, and when asked about it, Duncan simply said he realized he couldn't hit a shot, so he better pass the ball, instead. Makes sense. Good players find a way to be effective. I don't care about emotion. I care about effectiveness.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I obviously have. And obviously haven't played at a high level, but my complaint is not in his effectiveness on the offensive end. It never has been. I'm never going to bash a guy for having a few games where he can't hit a shot. Anyone who's ever played or even watched basketball knows that happens on a frequent basis. The problem with Bargnani, though, is when he's not hitting he's a complete liability. When I'm hurting, I try and find a way to be effective. That's what all good players do.

I remember a game earlier this year when Tim Duncan couldn't score, so he became a passer and helped his team win, and when asked about it, Duncan simply said he realized he couldn't hit a shot, so he better pass the ball, instead. Makes sense. Good players find a way to be effective. I don't care about emotion. I care about effectiveness.
    I take back what I said to you and you're right, I'm sorry. You're right. When your shot isn't falling, your focus should be on other aspects of the game. What shouldn't be spared every night is a lack of effort, running up and down the court - I know with his knees, it's a problem to do that, but he should have been trying to be a better passer, trying to box out, playing with more emotion, but as we all know, him being in his 5th season now, that really isn't Andrea's game.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with coaches being tough on their players, but going to the media should be an absolute last resort, and it's unfortunately not with a lot of coaches. Don Nelson and Larry Brown are two long time coaches who tend to alienate players because they speak to the media too much. Jerry Sloan and Gregg Popovich are both hard nosed coaches who don't tend to air their dirty laundry.

I don't have a problem with what Triano did, but some fans seem to want him to do it all the time, and that wouldn't work.
    How often does Jay complain to the media about his players? Not very often. That should tell you a lot about his actions on this. I am behind it 100%. You can't