Raps buying out Peja today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macc wrote: View Post
    The TPE has been used 3 times already. First to help get rid of Hedo, second to acquire Ryan Anderson, and again to acquire Bayless. It hasn't been useless for us, but it definitely isn't what it was advertised to be.
    The Hedo contract created a TPE of $2.5M which was used to acquire Andersen (HOU also sent cash) who had a salary of $2.5M.

The Bosh exemption has been used once for Bayless.

Comment

The Bosh TPE lasts past draft day, does it not? Since we aren't going to blow the whole thing on an overpaid player who might get us 5 more wins after the trade deadline, why not wait until the end of the season and try to use it to trade up in the draft?

Comment

OKC is dying for a 3 pt shooter but BC could not even move Peja.

How bad does the trade that brought Peja looks now when we probably had pay another 10 million

BC sucks.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          It was 100% incorrect. TPE can be used in any amount as long as the full contract can be absorbed by the TPE or as long as the contract is not bigger than the TPE.
          Let me make sure this is clear. You are agreeing him about the idea that the Raptors cannot use the entire TPE in a single trade involving one player? They cannot use it to trade for (just an example) Jason Richardson straight up, the whole TPE for him?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Let me make sure this is clear. You are agreeing him about the idea that the Raptors cannot use the entire TPE in a single trade involving one player? They cannot use it to trade for (just an example) Jason Richardson straight up, the whole TPE for him?
            Richardson's contract is more than the TPE. So no.

The TPE is only $12.2M after acquiring Bayless using it. Therefore the Raps can now acquire any player who has a contract of $12.2M or less using the TPE. Or they can acquire 10 players at $1.22M each.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

How bad does the trade that brought Peja looks now when we probably had pay another 10 million

BC sucks.
              Who is OKC going to trade for Peja? Jeff Green, Mo' Pete and Cook would certainly work but do you think OKC would go for? No way.

In terms of paying $10M, MLSE can handle it. The Raps are still below the luxury tax. In reality they lost the contracts of Anderson, Banks, and Jack (so the deal actually cost them more like $6M but saved them $2.3M next year and $5.6M the season after.

Unless you are one of the newly converted Bayless haters, the trade brought a 22 year old guard on a rookie deal and rid the team of JJ and his final 2 years on his contract, freed up $2.3M next year, and $5.6M the season after (all based on current CBA numbers).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Who is OKC going to trade for Peja? Jeff Green, Mo' Pete and Cook would certainly work but do you think OKC would go for? No way.

In terms of paying $10M, MLSE can handle it. The Raps are still below the luxury tax. In reality they lost the contracts of Anderson, Banks, and Jack (so the deal actually cost them more like $6M but saved them $2.3M next year and $5.6M the season after.

Unless you are one of the newly converted Bayless haters, the trade brought a 22 year old guard on a rookie deal and rid the team of JJ and his final 2 years on his contract, freed up $2.3M next year, and $5.6M the season after (all based on current CBA numbers).
                LOL, With the money you paid for Peja, Raps did not really save anything. Now, back to Expiring contract, you may not be familiar with it but many GM in the league use the expiring contratcs to get some picks or talents back in return.

However, since MLSE can afford it, then why bother with looking for these things

Better luck next time PAL

Comment

BC sucks.
                  How does the trade that brought him suck for the Raptors? They got Bayless and have more cap room this summer. Even if you don't throw Peja in, I'd still do it for the Raptors.

As I said on one of the front page articles...

Expiring contracts are not nearly as valuable as many fans seem to think. You do realize that, at this point, more than half the league will have a total payroll of less than $50 million this summer. The salary cap this season is $58 million. Who exactly is pining for big expiring contracts?

And while the Hornets may have wanted to acquire Iguodala for Peja, Philly obviously didn't want to give him away for cap room. Plenty of teams offered Philly cap space for Iguodala and they didn't agree to any of them. Maybe there's a reason for that.

Peja is just one of MANY large expiring deals. Andrei Kirilenko, Vince Carter, Eddy Curry, Michael Redd, Kenyon Martin, Jason Richardson, Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler, Zach Randolph, Samuel Dalembert, Tayshaun Prince, Mike Dunleavey and Troy Murphy all have contracts that expire this summer and make at least $10 million. T.J. Ford, J.R. Smith, Nazr Mohommed, Dan Gadzuric, Vladimir Radmanovic, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries, Jeff Foster, Morris Peterson and Joel Przybilla all have expiring contracts and make more than $6 million.

Expiring contracts used to be useful when most teams were over the cap or losing teams were over the luxury tax threshold, but that's not the case any longer. Take a look at the payrolls around the league. Like I said, more than half the league will be paying out less than $50 million this summer.
                  Expiring contracts aren't nearly worth as much as some people seem to think. Colangelo didn't get Peja because he thought he could trade him for something. He got him because he wanted Bayless and some salary relief, both of which they got.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    How does the trade that brought him suck for the Raptors? They got Bayless and have more cap room this summer. Even if you don't throw Peja in, I'd still do it for the Raptors.

As I said on one of the front page articles...

Expiring contracts aren't nearly worth as much as some people seem to think. Colangelo didn't get Peja because he thought he could trade him for something. He got him because he wanted Bayless and some salary relief, both of which they got.
                    I was about to reply when I read your response. That about sums it up.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

Lets Look at it differently:

Bc signs Jack to a contract that is more than his real market value. Just after 2 season, he sees that it is not working. To off load Jack, he has to pick up Peja's contract ( pay 10 million) and also take back Bayless, unproven, injury prone , shoot first, no vision PG.

I am just wondering who contract we should get next summer when BC tried to trade away Kleiza

Comment

Bc signs Jack to a contract that is more than his real market value. Just after 2 season, he sees that it is not working. To off load Jack, he has to pick up Peja's contract ( pay 10 million) and also take back Bayless, unproven, injury prone , shoot first, no vision PG.

I am just wondering who contract we should get next summer when BC tried to trade away Kleiza
                        If you see Bayless as someone who a team HAS to take (like Marcus Banks), then obviously you're going to feel that way. Watching him so far, I certainly don't feel that way. In essence, you could look at EVERY trade two ways. You could say Miami had to take an overpaid, injury prone, mediocre defending big man in order to get rid of two draft picks, which they didn't want. It all depends on if you like the player or not.

As I've said, I don't see him as a starter, but I think he's certainly shown he's got talent while in Toronto, which is apparently why the Raptors traded for him.

And I don't think signing Jack was a mistake, either. It's hard to say you overpaid when you paid less than the MLE for a guy who ends up starting much of the time and putting up the numbers Jack did.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Whats with blurting out "10 million" over and over? The trade with NO increased our salary by a whopping 3 million - and we only had him for 2 months (nov 20-Jan 20) so we increased our salary cap hit by under $700,000.

And BTW both Jack and Kleiza were applauded moves at the time (and largely remained that way) and I haven't heard anyone in the media or NBA circle call either of those contracts bloated. Time to sit down now...
                          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                            Whats with blurting out "10 million" over and over? The trade with NO increased our salary by a whopping 3 million - and we only had him for 2 months (nov 20-Jan 20) so we increased our salary cap hit by under $700,000.

And BTW both Jack and Kleiza were applauded moves at the time (and largely remained that way) and I haven't heard anyone in the media or NBA circle call either of those contracts bloated. Time to sit down now...
                            Win.

Comment

"Raptors Buyout Stojakovic"

COME ON NOW PEOPLE buyout is a noun.

Comment

Working...
                              X