Raptors/Mavs Trade Hits Snag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors/Mavs Trade Hits Snag?

Ajinca Trade Hits Snag: Some problems have surfaced in the Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks' efforts to complete a trade for Alexis Ajinca in order to free up a roster spot in Dallas for the recently-released Peja Stojakovic.

According to Marc Stein of ESPN.com several NBA teams have complained to the league about the Mavericks and Raptors using two separate transactions to trade Stajakovic for Ajinca – illegal under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The quickness in which Dallas was able to secure a commitment from Peja seemed awfully fishy, but Stein reveals that the Mavericks were granted permission by Toronto to talk to Peja's agent after forward Caron Butler went down with an injury because a buyout was said to be inevitable.

In the case that the trade is vetoed by the league Dallas would have to waive a player to make room for Peja, who will officially clear waivers on Monday.

Ultimately this is nothing more than a minor story involving two pretty irrelevant players, but it goes to show just how much of a watchful eye NBA teams have on each other. Following the rules is extremely important because if a transaction of this magnitude is held up then any one could be if the proper steps aren't taken.

LINK: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18545

This sounds like Charlotte's nightmare all over again. AND sounds really desperate on BC's part. It comes off as unprofessional, as well. If other teams are "complaining", that can make it hard for BC to do business with other teams. Not good.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

If people are complaining on Alexis Ajinca then they need to get a life

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post

This sounds like Charlotte's nightmare all over again. AND sounds really desperate on BC's part. It comes off as unprofessional, as well. If other teams are "complaining", that can make it hard for BC to do business with other teams. Not good.
      This is minor. If it's vetoed life will go on as before unaffected. That's my opinion anyway...

Comment

I'd be surprised if the outline of the deal were not discussed (at least unofficially) with the league...and got the ok.

Comment

That's funny. I've said here and on a couple of other sites I didn't really understand how Stern would go for this, because it's basically an attempt to circumvent the CBA. I'm surprised I seemed to be the only one to question that.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post

Lmao, BC can not even make a simple trade anymore. MLSE still resigns the guy though(What a joke of an organisation the MLSE is lol).

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
              Lmao, BC can not even make a simple trade anymore. MLSE still resigns the guy though(What a joke of an organisation the MLSE is lol).
              The thing is, which GM can we get that WANTS to be here, AND, which GM will be BETTER than BC? Who can sell Canada to quality star players that'll make a difference. No matter who we get, they still have to go thru MLSE, no?
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

league has too much time on its hands
                ya dun noe

Comment

Another black eye for the Raptors orgaization. We can't win games. All our free agent signings end up as duds. And now we are seen as devious from the buisness side of things. Great.

Personally I think its funny we are being targeted when you see lots of trades happen when a guy with a huge expiring salary is dealt and every insider in the league speculates how he will be bought out and return to his old time after the 30 day time frame. Amazingly though those deals never seem to be "held up". Maybe its because we dealt with Cuban, Sterns favourite arch enemy.
                  Deadallus

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
                    Another black eye for the Raptors orgaization. We can't win games. All our free agent signings end up as duds. And now we are seen as devious from the buisness side of things. Great.

Personally I think its funny we are being targeted when you see lots of trades happen when a guy with a huge expiring salary is dealt and every insider in the league speculates how he will be bought out and return to his old time after the 30 day time frame. Amazingly though those deals never seem to be "held up". Maybe its because we dealt with Cuban, Sterns favourite arch enemy.
                    It is too bad this has happened. I agree with the Cuban concerns. I cannot believe they are looking over this deal but the CLE-WSH trade last season that included Z who was quickly bought out and 30 days later was back with CLE got the nod.

Comment

BC loves these illegal deals
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

When you read through the ESPN link this is Western conference teams not wanting to see a competitor get better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6046326

When Pavlovic's 10 days are up, they can just sign Peja anyways, waive Ajinca (they were going to pay his contract anyway), Toronto claims him, Toronto keeps $1.4M of TPE, Dallas keeps the 2nd round pick, and re-sign Pavlovic.

The end result is the same.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          When you read through the ESPN link this is Western conference teams not wanting to see a competitor get better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6046326

When Pavlovic's 10 days are up, they can just sign Peja anyways, waive Ajinca (they were going to pay his contract anyway), Toronto claims him, Toronto keeps $1.4M of TPE, Dallas keeps the 2nd round pick, and re-sign Pavlovic.

The end result is the same.
                          I don't think Toronto can claim him off waivers because they aren't under the cap and his salary is for more than the minimum (I believe). They would have to wait until he cleared waivers and then he could sign with anyone. Of course, Toronto may be one of the only one's who want to sign him and he may want to sign with Toronto, so this all might be moot.

Also, this way the Raptors don't get that 2nd round pick that everyone wants so dearly.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            I don't think Toronto can claim him off waivers because they aren't under the cap and his salary is for more than the minimum (I believe). They would have to wait until he cleared waivers and then he could sign with anyone. Of course, Toronto may be one of the only one's who want to sign him and he may want to sign with Toronto, so this all might be moot.

Also, this way the Raptors don't get that 2nd round pick that everyone wants so dearly.
                            I'm not up on the waiver rules then. Something I'll have to look at.

What is to stop the Mavs from letting Sasha expire, sign Peja, trade Ajinca/2nd round after Peja signs, re-sign Sasha?

Would that be allowed?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I'm not up on the waiver rules then. Something I'll have to look at.

What is to stop the Mavs from letting Sasha expire, sign Peja, trade Ajinca/2nd round after Peja signs, re-sign Sasha?

Would that be allowed?
                              Yes, they can do that, and that may be what they end up doing. TECHNICALLY, the deal between Dallas and Toronto is legal, but in reality it was done to get around the CBA. Basically, the problem is that the trade was obviously done as a thank you for waiving Peja and something I raised concern about as soon as I read about it. I'm not surprised other teams said something. In the end, though, the Raptors released Peja and he could have signed anywhere he wanted. He decided to sign with Dallas. If Dallas then decides to do the trade, then I don't see the NBA stopping them. When they were done at the same time it looked fishy.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X