Raptors/Mavs Trade Hits Snag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Yes, they can do that, and that may be what they end up doing. TECHNICALLY, the deal between Dallas and Toronto is legal, but in reality it was done to get around the CBA. Basically, the problem is that the trade was obviously done as a thank you for waiving Peja and something I raised concern about as soon as I read about it. I'm not surprised other teams said something. In the end, though, the Raptors released Peja and he could have signed anywhere he wanted. He decided to sign with Dallas. If Dallas then decides to do the trade, then I don't see the NBA stopping them. When they were done at the same time it looked fishy.
    You know what else looks fishy, Bosh and Wade about to sign 5 year extensions then backing out and signing 3 year extensions after Lebron decided to do so. Then magically they end up on the same team when their deals all expire.

Or how about Amare coming right out publically and telling Melo while he is still under contract that he wants him in NY.

Oddly enough the league hasn't looked into any of these incidences.
    Deadallus

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
      You know what else looks fishy, Bosh and Wade about to sign 5 year extensions then backing out and signing 3 year extensions after Lebron decided to do so. Then magically they end up on the same team when their deals all expire.

Or how about Amare coming right out publically and telling Melo while he is still under contract that he wants him in NY.

Oddly enough the league hasn't looked into any of these incidences.
      Those involve players, not management. The league doesn't want to wade into that because it's a slippery slope and because it's incredibly difficult to navigate. In a league where all the players have friends all over the league it would be impossible for the league to police that sort of thing.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Those involve players, not management. The league doesn't want to wade into that because it's a slippery slope and because it's incredibly difficult to navigate. In a league where all the players have friends all over the league it would be impossible for the league to police that sort of thing.
        But I still think EVEN IF they can't ploice it, they need to let the players know its not right.
        By extension, whats to stop the Owners/Management from getting the players to 'speak through them' to other players around the league. I agree thats its impossible, and is very murkey waters for the league; but they still need to have an opinion on the matter. Otherwise theres nothing at all to even make them think twice about it.
        How do we know Dolan didn't go up to Amare and tell him to go out and let the media know that they wanted Melo in NY. Spread the word. Let MELO know. Because Dolan can't do that, but its still valuable to get the word out to Carmelo. Amare did it. But how do we know there wasn't some shadowy figure in the background coaxing him to do so.
        I don't like it. It's really shitty for the fans in Denver. Imagine (if) Wade was openly recruiting Bosh and Lebron (obviously he was)all last season. I'd have to say Wade and Riley would have had a talk about that.
        Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

“I was in their (NBA) offices when all this was going down,’’ he said. “I showed them my texts. We have been talking to Toronto about Peja since Caron went down. We called Bryan (Colangelo, the Raptors’ GM) and asked if we could talk to Peja’s agent. We asked if he’d be interested in us if he got bought out and they said yes. So then when the buyout happened, Bryan asked about Alexis and if we’d be willing to trade him if we paid the rest of his salary. So that’s how it happened.’’

Cuban said he’s very optimistic that the deals will go through without issue on Monday.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...go-through.ece

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            But I still think EVEN IF they can't ploice it, they need to let the players know its not right.
            By extension, whats to stop the Owners/Management from getting the players to 'speak through them' to other players around the league. I agree thats its impossible, and is very murkey waters for the league; but they still need to have an opinion on the matter. Otherwise theres nothing at all to even make them think twice about it.
            How do we know Dolan didn't go up to Amare and tell him to go out and let the media know that they wanted Melo in NY. Spread the word. Let MELO know. Because Dolan can't do that, but its still valuable to get the word out to Carmelo. Amare did it. But how do we know there wasn't some shadowy figure in the background coaxing him to do so.
            I don't like it. It's really shitty for the fans in Denver. Imagine (if) Wade was openly recruiting Bosh and Lebron (obviously he was)all last season. I'd have to say Wade and Riley would have had a talk about that.
            I have a feeling that is something the NBA is going to discuss during the CBA talks. I know the NBA doesn't like it either, but at this point there's not much they can do, and they know it.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
            X