Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chad Ford - Franchise player tag in the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford - Franchise player tag in the NBA?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ise-player-tag

I am totally in favour of this being included in the upcoming CBA. A Franchise Player exception could drastically alter the future of the Toronto Raptors (as well as a lot of other small market teams)

I can understand the players not liking this, but I think this would be worth a lockout. I heard one agent say that the players would fight tooth and nail over this... but in the end there is a lot more bench and role players than stars anyway, when it comes to voting for / against a CBA offer from the owners.

I like it but what's to stop a player from pulling a Vince Carter/Baron Davis?

Comment

madeupid25 wrote: View Post
      http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ise-player-tag

I am totally in favour of this being included in the upcoming CBA. A Franchise Player exception could drastically alter the future of the Toronto Raptors (as well as a lot of other small market teams)

I can understand the players not liking this, but I think this would be worth a lockout. I heard one agent say that the players would fight tooth and nail over this... but in the end there is a lot more bench and role players than stars anyway, when it comes to voting for / against a CBA offer from the owners.
      +1 - the Melo drama this year has really accentuated the importance of franchise player tag in the NBA. At least, if Stern wants some small market teams to exist and not turn it into the MLB "Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees only" league.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        What stops a player from pulling a VC or Baron Davis is an unguaranteed contract or a partially guaranteed one. I am assuming they will likely pursue assumptions of a hard salary cap and partially guaranteed contracts along with the franchise player tag to make it effective.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
          +1 - the Melo drama this year has really accentuated the importance of franchise player tag in the NBA. At least, if Stern wants some small market teams to exist and not turn it into the MLB "Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees only" league.
          It's happening now anyway with the "Wheatles". The lure of Carmelo to NYC, Howard and Paul fantasizing about each other. You name it. It's funny because Lebron talked about contraction (which was a total diss to 90% of the players in the league) because he felt that it's better for the few market to compete with a concentrated level of talent - only to retract his statement because he didn't understand the term contraction. Stay in school kids).
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            It's funny because Lebron talked about contraction (which was a total diss to 90% of the players in the league) because he felt that it's better for the few market to compete with a concentrated level of talent - only to retract his statement because he didn't understand the term contraction. Stay in school kids).
            lol. he RETRACTED because he didn't understand what CONTRACTION meant.

so he didn't know he took it back either.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              At some point I believe such a problem will get self regulating by players on the team. The offending player will be jeopardizing their careers. A arbitration system determining "dogging" is another method with anonymity given team members for their "evidence". Also franchise players can only be exchanged for other franchise players or multiple players of the team's choice. I think there are ways to put a stop to this bs going on. It will kill the league as we know it or create a multi tier system (which already exists I think). The current system in effect is pitting teams against each other simply because of their "favourable" location and individual circumstances to generate more revenue. In the absence of proper revenue sharing or a hard cap this is inherently unfair when vying for a finite pool of the top tier players.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                At some point I believe such a problem will get self regulating by players on the team. The offending player will be jeopardizing their careers. A arbitration system determining "dogging" is another method with anonymity given team members for their "evidence". Also franchise players can only be exchanged for other franchise players or multiple players of the team's choice. I think there are ways to put a stop to this bs going on. It will kill the league as we know it or create a multi tier system (which already exists I think). The current system in effect is pitting teams against each other simply because of their "favourable" location and individual circumstances to generate more revenue. In the absence of proper revenue sharing or a hard cap this is inherently unfair when vying for a finite pool of the top tier players.
                My question is WHY aren't players self regulating this. You think if the teamates of Bosh and LBJ stood up to them and asked them to stay intead of sheepishly giving them their 25-30 shots a game that this might not happen. You think that if the players in denver TODAY who are being publicly dissed by Melo on every media outlet are not making a stand against Melo to put their team First that any player will stand up to this. If I was JR Smith or Aflalo or any of the other guys being left behind I would let Melo know that I'm only commited to winning with the team that I am ON RIGHT NOW and not the future, and if he didn't like that then just play off of him and have a 4 on 5 offence if it has to be done. Bottom Line don't let him take you like a Bitch.
                Apart from the players on the team all the players in the league should be pissed off. They have possibly the best contract system (minus the rookie cap- but vets like that) where they get paid the most money in sports (by 6 year +$100 Mil contracts football is a close second, in the NHL you have to have a 17 year contract to get $100 mil) and you have pretty much the entire 2003 draft class giving a finger to the rest of the league and giving
                Stern reason to screw ALLLLL the players over. And since the NBA PLAYERS ASSOCIATION is the weakest UNION in sports they'll fold to all of the Leagues demands (cuz they did it in 99, and every time before then).

So My question is Where is the OUTRAGE from players in MILWAUKEE or CHARLOTTE or anywhere else?
                What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
                  My question is WHY aren't players self regulating this. You think if the teamates of Bosh and LBJ stood up to them and asked them to stay intead of sheepishly giving them their 25-30 shots a game that this might not happen. You think that if the players in denver TODAY who are being publicly dissed by Melo on every media outlet are not making a stand against Melo to put their team First that any player will stand up to this. If I was JR Smith or Aflalo or any of the other guys being left behind I would let Melo know that I'm only commited to winning with the team that I am ON RIGHT NOW and not the future, and if he didn't like that then just play off of him and have a 4 on 5 offence if it has to be done. Bottom Line don't let him take you like a Bitch.
                  Apart from the players on the team all the players in the league should be pissed off. They have possibly the best contract system (minus the rookie cap- but vets like that) where they get paid the most money in sports (by 6 year +$100 Mil contracts football is a close second, in the NHL you have to have a 17 year contract to get $100 mil) and you have pretty much the entire 2003 draft class giving a finger to the rest of the league and giving
                  Stern reason to screw ALLLLL the players over. And since the NBA PLAYERS ASSOCIATION is the weakest UNION in sports they'll fold to all of the Leagues demands (cuz they did it in 99, and every time before then).

So My question is Where is the OUTRAGE from players in MILWAUKEE or CHARLOTTE or anywhere else?
                  Maybe I should have been more explicit...my note was predicated on a franchise tag being applied...which when done ties the specific player to the team and removes the hostage leverage they currently have. As it stands today the team is willing to go through the current year knowing the player will get moved. Also, lesser players dont rock the boat under the current rules because the top guns run the league as it were and this would jeopardize careers/movement of players if they were the critical type. In the Melo case it seems the Nets players were more affected than the Nuggets...which further screams out that the union is run by the stars and their agents...else the union would have had Melo stop this bs move.

Comment

I think its a very bad idea. It works great in the NFL where contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. If players want to get paid less and play together only so many top players can fit on a team, other teams will be able to offer big contracts to top players, building a winning environment through drafting and proper scouting ... Unless contracts are non-guaranteed and have performance awards/penalties the threat of a player VC/Baroning it actually goes up.

The reason only so many teams can win titles is just as much about the ability for certain markets to draw players as it is the quality of scouting departments. If you look at the international and in league scouts for LA & SA, the College scouts for teams like NY (Landry Fields was a cold blooded pick from a staff that consistently finds these types), Look at the recent Orlando trade which most pundits didn't understand, that's all because of good scouting. Meanwhile, we've traded bench players who now start for better teams for poor returns (ex. Bellinelli for Peja*), pick up Centers who don't deserve to be in the NBA for tryouts (Patrick O'Bryant), and over-value our own draft picks (sorry Bargs). That's bad scouting. Unfortunately, there are only so many good scouts.

*Bayless was a separate trade using our TPE. I would still argue -- if you combine the trades -- we traded a starter for a (good) bench player.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      I think its a very bad idea. It works great in the NFL where contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. If players want to get paid less and play together only so many top players can fit on a team, other teams will be able to offer big contracts to top players, building a winning environment through drafting and proper scouting ... Unless contracts are non-guaranteed and have performance awards/penalties the threat of a player VC/Baroning it actually goes up.

The reason only so many teams can win titles is just as much about the ability for certain markets to draw players as it is the quality of scouting departments. If you look at the international and in league scouts for LA & SA, the College scouts for teams like NY (Landry Fields was a cold blooded pick from a staff that consistently finds these types), Look at the recent Orlando trade which most pundits didn't understand, that's all because of good scouting. Meanwhile, we've traded bench players who now start for better teams for poor returns (ex. Bellinelli for Peja*), pick up Centers who don't deserve to be in the NBA for tryouts (Patrick O'Bryant), and over-value our own draft picks (sorry Bargs). That's bad scouting. Unfortunately, there are only so many good scouts.

*Bayless was a separate trade using our TPE. I would still argue -- if you combine the trades -- we traded a starter for a (good) bench player.
                      That's it. All of it. You nailed it. ALL except for the Belli deal. Unless Triano puts Derozan at SF, then Belli's still coming off the bench for us, and still putting up crazy shots that no one wants to see (unless they go in ) haha

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        lol. he RETRACTED because he didn't understand what CONTRACTION meant.

so he didn't know he took it back either.
                        bahahaha, there's a reason he didn't go to College!

I like this Franchise player thing. The playing field needs to be leveled and Agents need to be taken out of the picture. they're a bunch of crooks and they're ruining the league.
                        Last edited by albertan_10; Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X