Its about potentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its about potentials

if the ajinca trade was any indication, its clear that raptors are going after young prospects with lots of potentials. one player that comes to mind is anthony randolph, a do it all foward who cant crack d'antonis lineup. any thoughts on who else we can look into aquiring?

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
    if the ajinca trade was any indication, its clear that raptors are going after young prospects with lots of potentials. one player that comes to mind is anthony randolph, a do it all foward who cant crack d'antonis lineup. any thoughts on who else we can look into aquiring?
    Another way to look at it is, he is acquiring players on rookie contracts who are not working out in their current situation. I was thinking about that when I started going through rosters and working on a list. I'll post it in this thread after as they would be redundant.

Comment

List of potential players does not include rookies. Teams are unlikely to give up that quick.

List includes 2nd/3rd/4th year players or players to be RFAs. Done by team. Trade or free agency could be means used to acquire depending on contact, of course. Some players will be harder to get than others as well - obviously. Not all players are 'not working out' on their current team.

Keep in mind current roster for next season barring trades:

PG: Calderon/Bayless
      SG: DD/Barbosa*
      SF: Kleiza
      PF: Johnson/Davis
      C: Bargnani/Alabi

*player option

CHI: James Johnson
      GSW: Brandan Wright**
      HOU: Jordan Hill, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger
      IND: Lance Stephenson, Tyler Hansbrough**
      MEM: Hasheem Thabeet, OJ Mayo
      MIN: Jonny Flynn, Corey Brewer*
      OKC: Eric Maynor, Daequan Cook*, BJ Mullens
      ORL: Earl Clark
      PHI: Speights
      POR: Oden* (no need to discuss health, I know)
      SAC: Greene, Casspi,
      WSH: Thorton*, McGee, Yi**

* - RFA
      ** - 4/PF would be last on the list to acquire. Pretty solid there.

Comment

Anyone else think of a young player who the Raptors should go after who may or may not be available?

Comment

Thaddeus Young. Not sure if Philly would move him, but I'd love to see him in Red and Black. Exactly what we need.
          Luc Mbah A moute. Solid defender at the SF spot.

Comment

I've been meaning to bump this thread. After watching the acquisition of Bayless and Ajinca, this was the list of players I came up with in January when looking for players on rookie deals who were not working out in their current situation.

CHI: James Johnson
            HOU: Jordan Hill, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger
            IND: Lance Stephenson, Tyler Hansbrough**
            MEM: Hasheem Thabeet, OJ Mayo
            MIN: Jonny Flynn, Corey Brewer*
            OKC: Eric Maynor, Daequan Cook*, BJ Mullens
            ORL: Earl Clark
            PHI: Speights
            WSH: Thorton*, McGee, Yi**

* - RFA
            The bolded players have since been moved and the italics were players that were as close to traded as one could get before the deadline.

Obviously, James Johnson ended up here. Here is an updated list as we approach the off season and draft day. Players have been removed who have had an increased role and playing time with team:

HOU: Jordan Hill, Terrence Williams
            IND: Lance Stephenson
            LAL: Ebanks
            MEM: OJ Mayo, Xavier Henry
            MIN: Jonny Flynn, Ellington
            MIL: Chris Douglas-Roberts*
            OKC: Eric Maynor, Daequan Cook*, BJ Mullens, Cole Aldrich
            ORL: Earl Clark (UFA)
            PHI: Speights, Brackins
            PHX: Robin Lopez

* - RFA

Comment

The player I would love the Raps to pursue is Xavier Henry. He is buried behind Allen, Young, Mayo, Gay, Battier on the wings. From DraftExpress last year:

• Xavier Henry’s complementary role at Kansas highlights what he brings to the table as a role-player on the next level.

With a host of other prospects around him, Xavier Henry wasn’t asked to take over games. Rather, he was asked to spot up off the ball and take advantage of his opportunities. Henry’s 1.012 PPP overall ranks him sixth in our group and seems to indicates that he played his comparably small role (12.1 Pos/G) admirably.

Though he did his fair share of running on the wing of Kansas’ break, Henry’s transition numbers aren’t spectacular, but his 0.994 PPP in half court situations (5th) represent how effective he is when the game slows down. With 35.9% of his offensive touches coming in spot up situations, Henry’s set shooting ability ranks him highly as a drive and kick option. His 1.1 PPP in spot-up situations is a byproduct of his ability to hit catch and shoot jumpers with (1.26 PPS, 6th) or without (1.16 PPS, average) a hand in his face. His pull up jumper remains a bit suspect by comparison, as he hits just 28.6% of his shots off the dribble.

In 2.1 shot attempts per-game in finishing situations, Henry’s 1.12 points per-possessions rank right around average for this group. Looking at where his shots are coming from, he received a total of 7.1% of his possessions last season in one-on-one (1.048 PPP, 1st) or post up (1.2 PPP, 3rd) situations, indicating that he received little opportunity to create shots for himself. His lack of touches in those situations make his highly ranked efficiency numbers a bit misleading to say the least.

On the next level, Henry will likely find himself player a similar role to the one he played last season early in his career. A highly capable spot up shooter who has a chiseled physique and brings solid defensive intensity, he’s tailored to be a useful player right away for some teams and could blossom into a very effective offensive wing if he continues to develop.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...#ixzz1HQiU6Bbz
              http://www.draftexpress.com
              Given lack of playing time this year, injury problems, and depth at the SG with Allen and Young, maybe they could get him on the cheap?
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Mar 23, 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I'd look into Mayo. The kid has a ton of talent.

Comment

I'm high on Mayo but he's strictly a 2 guard, so what happens with Derozen? I don't see Derozen at the 3 at all, its just not in his physical makeup, sadly.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Flynn, Cassipi

Comment

I will wait and see who we draft before I start looking at FA pickups.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        The player I would love the Raps to pursue is Xavier Henry. He is buried behind Allen, Young, Mayo, Gay, Battier on the wings. From DraftExpress last year:

Given lack of playing time this year, injury problems, and depth at the SG with Allen and Young, maybe they could get him on the cheap?
                        I'd love to see Henry here and props to you for identifying James Johnson back in January long before he was a Raptor.

Comment

Yeah I love Henry too. I believe I wrote a couple long paragraph rants about how the raps shouldve traded for his rights when he originally wasn't going to sign with Memphis.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                          X