No announcement yet.

Raptors Call Up Trey Johnson, the D-League's Leading Scorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironically, this "rookie" would be the second oldest active Raptor if he plays tonight against Memphis. 26 years old on this team is old!
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
      Just saying, it shows how much he actually sucks since TW isnt really amazing himself
      If he's putting the ball in the hoop at a pretty good clip, then how can he suck? The dimensions of the court are the same in the NBDL as the NBA. The rims are still 10 feet high. They don't have Fisher Price nets there, you know.

Williams is a very good player. Hence the stats and the reason why he only played in 3 games at the D-League Level. I'd take Terrence Williams here in a second. He's got fantastic court vision (and can run the point), he's tough and is a solid scorer.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
        Just saying, it shows how much he actually sucks since TW isnt really amazing himself
        You've never seen the guy play, yet you're quick to pass judgment on the guy and his game. Bra-fucking-vo. Way to look foolish.

Comment

The guy seems worthy of an audition. While the odds for a D-Leaguer getting far in the NBA are slim, he definitely seem like someone worth taking a flyer on. The Raps don't have much depth at guard at the moment and Gaines didn't make any jaws drop. Call it what it is - an audition.

Comment

Lord knows we need more offense....Can't hurt though.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
              Has there ever been a D-League call up that managed to gain permanent NBA player status, let alone become a regular NBA starter?
              Here you go
              Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the called-up D-League players that went on to have successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson

Not a list of allstars, but some very solid players in that group, some duds as well, but if you get a Matt Barnes type player I am OK with that.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Seems like the big guy in the sky finally gave him the OK to choose the Raps. Wondering how many teams since Cleveland he turned down? With a name like Trey he needs to be in the big show. The Raps need all the help.

Guess we must be the only team with 2 D league callups this season? 4 if we count 2 of our own sent down and brought back.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  Has there ever been a D-League call up that managed to gain permanent NBA player status, let alone become a regular NBA starter?
                  Rafer Alston. He got called up to Toronto and the following year to the Heat. He ended up signing the big deal with the Raps after that.

Other players who landed in the NBA and either got nice deals or at least played in the rotation of a team:

- Matt Carroll (D-League MVP)
                  - Will Bynum (D-League ROY)
                  - Mikki Moore (D-League DPOY)
                  - JaMario Moon
                  - Dahntay Jones
                  - Chris Andersen
                  - Kelenna Azubuike
                  - Matt Barnes
                  - Chuck Hayes
                  - Ime Udoka
                  - C. J. Watson
                  Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jan 24, 2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I see...consider my question answered.

I like it when these guys get called up and actually get minutes. Must suck for them to get called up only to then be stuck on the bench for 10 days.

Comment

No doubt. It probably feels like their life's ambition has been obliterated every time it happens.

Comment

He's listed as a SG so if he does get any time it might be at the 2 IF DeRozan plays the 3 which he does do alot when they sub out the starting 3 or in late game if barbosa is in with him. I don't really see any other way he gets any PT

Comment

It would be interested to see what Matt Devlin says:

"Trey with the dish!!"

get it?! cause you serve breakfast in bed on top of a trey......

Comment

So does this mean that Ajinca isn't coming? or do we wait for the 10-day contract of gaines to expire and then we do the Alexis thing?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              You've never seen the guy play, yet you're quick to pass judgment on the guy and his game. Bra-fucking-vo. Way to look foolish.
                              BURRRRN! good one lol

Comment

I can see why alot of players liek to come to Toronto. It's clear we are rebuilding and looking for players. Borderline NBA players see it as a great oppurtunity to make it in the league. Albertan, i tihnk the raps have an extra roster spot from the N.O deal and another one since the Peja buyout is complete. Gaines was signed to a 10 day contract on January 13th,2011 so i assume it was not renewed and most likely will not be at the game tonght and thats how they have the roster spot for Trey Johnson.

I like signing these 10 day contract players, its like watching an experienced rookie trying to make something for himself. Since were rebuilding it doesnt hurt us at all and we can really see what this guy can do. Wish this guy luck and hopefully you guys are right and he turns out to be a diamond in the rough. CYA gaines its been swell... 6L's but we aint mad atcha, that road trip was suicide.

Comment

Working...
                                X