Raptors Call Up Trey Johnson, the D-League's Leading Scorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Call Up Trey Johnson, the D-League's Leading Scorer

Don't know much about this cat, but you gotta think anything can help now.

Trey Johnson has paid his dues in the NBA D-League for at least part of the past four seasons, and it looks it's finally paid off. According to a source close to the situation, the 26-year-old Johnson has been called up by the Toronto Raptors for a 10-day contract.

Johnson, the D-League's leading scorer, is averaging 25.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists while making 51 percent of his attempts from the field this season. In 101 career D-League games, all with the Bakersfield Jam, Johnson's posted averages of 20.2 points, 4.7 assists and 3.8 rebounds. He also earned two 10-day contracts with the Cleveland Cavaliers during the 2008-09 season, but appeared in just four games for 14 minutes total.

Johnson, a 6-foot-5 combo guard, told FanHouse following the D-League Showcase that he was ready and waiting for the right opportunity in the NBA.

"I have a strong belief in God and, for whatever reason, I'm still here. I'm not going to accept just getting called-up, having a 10-day contract, and then coming right back down, and maybe God understands that," Johnson told FanHouse following the Showcase. "Maybe He's like 'I'm going to get him to a situation where he's going to be able to perform well; where he's going to stick and get a legitimate opportunity to go out there and do some things.' I mean, I was called up to Cleveland and I had two 10-days, but I didn't really play. I'm very thankful for the opportunity, but how legit can I really say my time in the NBA was since I didn't really get a chance to play?"
    Source - Click here

Why not? What really do we have to lose? Who knows, the kid could be a diamond in the rough. His FG% for a guard is pretty encouraging.

Comment

I am very excited to see him play! Let's hope for a diamond in the rough. If he wants to stick he better not use Sonny's shot selection as an NBA template.

Comment

Why not, i'm happy having him and Gaines around

Comment

actually, terrence williams is the the leading scorer

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
            Why not, i'm happy having him and Gaines around
            FWIR, Gaines isn't around. His 10-day probably will not be renewed.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
              actually, terrence williams is the the leading scorer
              If you want to get technical, then yes, he's the NBDL's leading scorer (and probably the only person in the NBDL who averages a triple double this season), but he's only played in 3 games in comparison to Johnson's 26.
              Last edited by MangoKid; Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just saying, it shows how much he actually sucks since TW isnt really amazing himself

Comment

I'm with Mango on this one. If Trey somehow managed to score 35 points in his first game with the Raptors would he then be considered the leading scorer of the NBA because his PPG is 35 pts? Not a chance. It's too small of a sample.

Comment

Has there ever been a D-League call up that managed to gain permanent NBA player status, let alone become a regular NBA starter?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      FWIR, Gaines isn't around. His 10-day probably will not be renewed.
                      That's too bad, he couldve been a good keep for us

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        Has there ever been a D-League call up that managed to gain permanent NBA player status, let alone become a regular NBA starter?
                        Mikki Moore.

Comment

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Johnson-1129/

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                            Reggie Williams (GSW) is the most recent I am aware of.

Comment

Let's not forget Jamario Moon made the leap from the D-League to the NBA as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X