Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelings About The Playoffs And Tanking

Examine the facts:
    - 7-8th playoff spot = miss lottery + get demoralized (whats the point for 4 more games?)
    - Want to develop young players
    - Inflate Bargs stats so you can maybe trade him
    - get younger
    - raps sit 6th in lottery currently
    - heading in to Lockout Raps will have a ton of young pieces and flexibility

Expect more mystery ailments in the final leg of the season (like the swelling in Peja's knee and Sonnys Back Spasm). Only this time it will be Amir and/Or Bargs out and they will give a long hard look at Alabi/Davis/Alexis Ajinca.

If Gains Alabi or Ajinca show any promise then they will be retained or used in further retooling.

Sonny weems has likely already got his deal done in Principal with Raptors he is just chilling out and giving more touches to DeDe whilst ensuring that the defensively challenged Klieza can ensure more Raptor losses and subsequently better draft position.

If I wanted to tank and develop my youth heading into Labor uncertainty ... I would be doing it the exact same way.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

The Raptors aren't tanking. They're doing the best with what they have. If they were tanking they would shut down Barbosa. They wouldn't be signing 10 days on guys in hopes of lucking into someone who can play second string in substitution of Calderon or Bayless. They would be playing Solomon Alabi. There are other reasons as well but you get where I'm going with this. The team stinks but they're getting the most out of it that should have been possibly expected. I said it before the season started and I'll say it now. Too many people had unrealistic expectations of this current roster and set themselves up for disappointment.

Comment

We don't have the attitude of tanking for sure, but with the injuries, it's putting us in the position that we are tanking by no choice.

There is something worse than tanking tho, it's called "awww F#^k it!". Just ask the Cleveland Cavaliers, and they'll give you a detailed description.

Comment

I think BC is smoking his Cohibas in his suite with his friend Maurizio, as they suck down on some Cristal and toasting the mounting losses. In BC's mind, this is the best thing to have happened to him and this franchise. Let the ping-pong balls roll our way. The beauty is, he doesn't need a fire-sale. He just needs Bargs to play 37+ minutes while chucking 17-20 "hail-marys" and a half-a-dozen 3pt, standing tall pump-fakes a night.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Tanking by Osmosis

We don't have the attitude of tanking for sure, but with the injuries, it's putting us in the position that we are tanking by no choice.
          Osmosis - the movement of water molecules through a permeable [read: easily penetrated] membrane. Kind of like the Raps.

Comment

Conflicts

I think BC is smoking his Cohibas in his suite with his friend Maurizio, as they suck down on some Cristal and toasting the mounting losses. In BC's mind, this is the best thing to have happened to him and this franchise. Let the ping-pong balls roll our way. The beauty is, he doesn't need a fire-sale. He just needs Bargs to play 37+ minutes while chucking 17-20 "hail-marys" and a half-a-dozen 3pt, standing tall pump-fakes a night.
            Yeah, I can't figure this out. All those fans who want a top 3 pick, yet hate on Bargnani, have completely got their wires crossed. They're working against themselves.

Comment

I think this thread makes a lot of assumptions that can't be backed up. I am sure Sonny would prefer to be playing and I seriously doubt he would give up 1 minute to Kleiza (who has a deal) if he had a choice about it. I am not certain Weems will be back with the Raptors next year (if there is a season), I think he would be worth the risk of maybe 2 years / 3 mil per season. I have seen Sonny play some great quarters, but he doesn't seem to put together too many consistent games or consecutive good games.

I don't think BC is going to do anything to jeopardize our potential draft status, but you have to wonder what he's planning for the remaining Bosh TPE. Lockout aside, he could try to swing a deal with it on draft day to acquire a player with an expiring contract, or just a veteran with a 10ish million dollar deal who's team doesn't want to continue paying him. I kind of doubt that BC will try to make a trade deadline deal for a vet who can help put Toronto in the playoffs this year to get demolished by the Celts or the Heat.

The Raps have had about 5 rotation players injured for several weeks at this point, and the losses that we have been witnessing recently were pretty much inevitable. I think Triano and Colangelo are safe in their jobs and I don't believe that MLSE was expecting either of them to produce a winner in the 2011 season.

Comment

I think the Raptors are trying but there's only so much you can get out of a very young, inexperienced team that is still learning how to play at the NBA level. I think, what might happen, is that as the losses continue to mount, the confidence level starts to wane. Couple that with the natural wear and tear that happens on your body in the 2nd half, and you might see the losses continue to mount. This, however, is probably the best thing that can happen to this team. What they have right now is a bunch of players who can probably develop into pretty good 2nd tier players and perhaps 1st line players in the case of Davis, DeRozan etc. What they need is a stud player. Very doubtful that they will get one via free agency or a trade. So, the draft is the only way to acquire that type of player. If they can get a top 3 pick, use their cap space and trade exemption to acquire another good player, I think they'll be quite good going forward. My biggest hope is that they can land Kyrie Irving of Duke. That kid would be dynamite with what we have already.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors aren't tanking. They're doing the best with what they have. If they were tanking they would shut down Barbosa. They wouldn't be signing 10 days on guys in hopes of lucking into someone who can play second string in substitution of Calderon or Bayless. They would be playing Solomon Alabi. There are other reasons as well but you get where I'm going with this. The team stinks but they're getting the most out of it that should have been possibly expected. I said it before the season started and I'll say it now. Too many people had unrealistic expectations of this current roster and set themselves up for disappointment.
                  - they shut down weems who although struggling for a few games before vanishing was their best perimeter defender.
                  -they shut down Reggie their best interior defender
                  - They had peja totally healthy and still rolled Jwright out as a starter 2x AND play Jose in 2 spot on consecutive games
                  - Joey dorsey has never started games in his NBA career and he is starting now and defending the likes of shaq
                  - the signing of Gains is to window dressing - they need to protect bayless long term

The guys who play with the exception of Bargs are playing their a$ses off but are very young and in some cases undersized.
                  Last edited by charlz; Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    This post actually made me laugh out loud it goes in the hall of fame for all posts I have read ever in sports forums.
                    Balls if steel you are good!

It's true give Bargs enough minutes and he is an automatic tanker - pass the courvoisier! see you in June.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                      This post actually made me laugh out loud it goes in the hall of fame for all posts I have read ever in sports forums.
                      Balls if steel you are good!

It's true give Bargs enough minutes and he is an automatic tanker - pass the courvoisier! see you in June.
                      Thanks bro, you're making me blush.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

since we are talking about it already, would someone care to interpret this team's vision for the future, short or long term? i do not understand how any sports team management board would tolerate what colangelo is maintaining as the status quo with the raptors. there hasn't been a public explanation by the team management of the future direction for the team, and the mainstream media in toronto covering basketball does not seem to be interested in asking at all. not even to speculate. truth is, there are no cornerstones, reliable, even single dimensional quality players the team should count on in the future. Bargnani? I am pretty sure he would fetch us baby davis in return, or, if you are lucky, a combination of troy murphy and marcus banks. derozan? undersized for a wing player, underpowered for a perimeter defender, not skilled enough to be a playmaking guard. the rest? they will be wearing uniforms with chinese symbols very soon. (i sure hope basketball becomes popular in India, so that we could finally outsource something to them, and bless that country with tens of our nba outcasts!)

Comment

- they shut down weems who although struggling for a few games before vanishing was their best perimeter defender.
                          Yeah, because Sonny Weems was making a difference.

-they shut down Reggie their best interior defender
                          Have you ever tried running around and jumping on a broken foot? He was averaging 27 minutes a game before he got hurt. Amir Johnson couldn't get off the bench. They sent Ed Davis to D-league.

- They had peja totally healthy and still rolled Jwright out as a starter 2x AND play Jose in 2 spot on consecutive games
                          Peja has been banged up all season.

- Joey dorsey has never started games in his NBA career and he is starting now and defending the likes of shaq
                          Who do you recommend they send out there against those big guys? Bargnani? Amir Johnson? Come on now. Dorsey is playing really well and they need his size and strength. If he weren't playing so well then he wouldn't be playing period. Dorsey's rise is a testament to hard work and determination. He deserves to play on a team with no true center who can defend.

- the signing of Gains is to window dressing
                          Both Calderon and Bayless have been banged up all season. They had no third string PG. Gains is an emergency backup. It's not for show. If they wanted to do something for show they'd pull the trigger on a lateral trade.

This team is stinking because the team stinks. People had grossly unrealistic expectations heading into the season. We should not have expected anything more than this from year one of a rebuild.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Feelings About The Playoffs And Tanking

What if, for some insane freak of nature, modern day miracle, by the hand of god, leap of faith....Ajinca does good beside Bargs, Reggie comes back and continues to be a rebound monster, everybody is healthy and trey johnson surprises....and we make the playoffs.

Would you be pissed or happy?

Comment

Happy. The high draft pick would be great but no true fan could say they'd be mad about their team in the playoffs. I actually think the season will play out in classic Raptors fashion. That being, they play their selves out of the playoffs in the first half of the season and then they play their selves out of a high lotto pick in the second half of the season... Such a scenario would annoy me.

Comment

Working...
                              X