Feelings About The Playoffs And Tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

duncan wrote: View Post
    You speak of the confidencs it will bring this young team; What if they get Blown Out by the Celtics, Magic or Heat in the first round 4-0? What is that going to do to their pyche?
    Then you've got Davis, Johnson, Bargs, DeDe and Jose all looking around the room at each other, wondering where the help is going to come from.
    That kind of scenario can kill confidence.
    If you make the playoffs, and get blown out by a much stronger team, that you know is a much better team than you, at least you can look in the mirror and say, i did get blown out, but there's 7 other teams who suck more than me coz they didnt make the playoffs.

If you dont make the playoffs and finish in the bottom 3, you do get a draft pick but you look up the standings and see there are 12 teams better than you.

which one is a confidence killer then?

Comment

Dropping 55 on Golden State didn't hurt either.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        High lotto picks aren't guaranteed superstars. So essentially you guys, the ones who would be mad to see them make the playoffs, are rooting against the Toronto Raptors this season? Interesting concept...

I personally feel that the y should be focused on developing the young guys by giving them lots of game time experience. If those kids bring it enough to make it to the show then I'm going to be excited for them.
        It depends on what you want for your team. Are you a fan just worried about each game and not worried about long term goals? Then, sure, you're going to be thrilled about making the playoffs. If you're a "big picture fan", though, you're going to see making the playoffs as a step back for the franchise.

Making the playoffs this year would basically doom the Raptors to mediocrity, and nobody wants that.

The biggest problem with the Raptors is that simply don't have enough talent. They've got some nice young pieces, but I don't see anyone on the team becoming a top player in the league. And that's what you need to have in order to really contend. If you're happy with the Raptors being an Atlanta, a team that competes and wins 50 games, but won't ever get past the second round, then fine. I'm not.

The draft obviously isn't a guarantee of anything, but which one has the best chance of massively improving your team: Playoffs or a top 3 pick? Playoffs are going to give your team experience, which is nice. Of course simply making the playoffs don't automatically mean the team will improve. You just have to look back at all the teams that have barely scraped into the playoffs in previous years, and either didn't improve or didn't make them against the next year. The playoffs are only good for a team if it's the first step towards a larger goal. Simply making the playoffs shouldn't be the long term goal.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          Cant remember who said it here but Jennings has more upside than Derozan because Jennings already made it to the playoffs. True.
          I'm sorry, but whoever said that is a moron. First off, Jennings didn't make the playoffs. Milwaukee did. Jennings was a big reason why, but an NBA career is not a sprint. It's not about who gets there first. Just because Jennings made more of an immediate impact doesn't make him a better player. Damon Stoudamire won the Rookie of the Year Award in 1996, but I'm pretty sure everyone would say Kevin Garnett had the better career. So did Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess and Michael Finley.

Jennings is a very good player, but his game is just as flawed as DeRozan's right now. He's a PG who still makes bad decisions. His CAREER field goal percentage is .376, yet that hasn't stopped him from being among the team leaders in field goals attempted per game. Him making the playoffs didn't change any of that. And they are currently 10th in the conference, so woouldn't make the playoffs if it started today. AND they were even lower before Jennings got hurt.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            If you're a "big picture fan", though, you're going to see making the playoffs as a step back for the franchise.
            I'm not a 'Big Picture Fan' because I want my team to make the Playoffs? Thats a load of horse_hit.
            Making the Playoffs can NEVER be a step backward for a rebuilding team. If the Raptors make the Playoffs, they essentially prove your 'we don't have enough talent' argument, wrong.
            Not only that, it proves it to themselves, that with some minor changes, they can take further steps forward.
            If we make the Playoffs, that shows we don't need a 'saviour' in the draft, and simply now, just need the 'Joe Johnson of Atlanta from 5 years ago' to take us that one step further. We are essentially where Atlanta was before they signed him and Jamal. And Atlanta is now one piece away from being a true Contender. I'd be very happy to be Atlanta right now.

And if you call yourself a 'Big Picture Fan', but don't see Demar or Ed (or Bargnani) as potential Stars, then you're selling the team short. Plain and simple.

Comment

I'm sorry, but whoever said that is a moron. First off, Jennings didn't make the playoffs. Milwaukee did. Jennings was a big reason why, but an NBA career is not a sprint. It's not about who gets there first. Just because Jennings made more of an immediate impact doesn't make him a better player. Damon Stoudamire won the Rookie of the Year Award in 1996, but I'm pretty sure everyone would say Kevin Garnett had the better career. So did Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess and Michael Finley.

Jennings is a very good player, but his game is just as flawed as DeRozan's right now. He's a PG who still makes bad decisions. His CAREER field goal percentage is .376, yet that hasn't stopped him from being among the team leaders in field goals attempted per game. Him making the playoffs didn't change any of that. And they are currently 10th in the conference, so woouldn't make the playoffs if it started today. AND they were even lower before Jennings got hurt.
              All good points.

Comment

It depends on what you want for your team. Are you a fan just worried about each game and not worried about long term goals? Then, sure, you're going to be thrilled about making the playoffs. If you're a "big picture fan", though, you're going to see making the playoffs as a step back for the franchise.

Making the playoffs this year would basically doom the Raptors to mediocrity, and nobody wants that.

The biggest problem with the Raptors is that simply don't have enough talent. They've got some nice young pieces, but I don't see anyone on the team becoming a top player in the league. And that's what you need to have in order to really contend. If you're happy with the Raptors being an Atlanta, a team that competes and wins 50 games, but won't ever get past the second round, then fine. I'm not.

The draft obviously isn't a guarantee of anything, but which one has the best chance of massively improving your team: Playoffs or a top 3 pick? Playoffs are going to give your team experience, which is nice. Of course simply making the playoffs don't automatically mean the team will improve. You just have to look back at all the teams that have barely scraped into the playoffs in previous years, and either didn't improve or didn't make them against the next year. The playoffs are only good for a team if it's the first step towards a larger goal. Simply making the playoffs shouldn't be the long term goal.
                I think you as a fan and looking at the big picture is great, you, as a fan, want to acquire players who can potentially contribute to your team in the future. and yes, if the raps dont make the playoffs this year, they can POTENTIALLY get another player in the draft who could be a future superstar. With this team not amounting to anything this year, do you honestly believe that drafting a stud can turn the franchise around in one year? Honestly? Im not saying you said that we should give this team a year to turn around but in all likelihood, it will be at least 2 years before a stud can be a fit in this team. all you guys think of who to get in the draft, etc etc, what about the current players on this team. Mind you, the reason why Bosh left this team, its because they couldnt even make the playoffs. Derozan has already come out and said he hates losing and is sick of the situation. Can you honestly believe that BC can tell Derozan, Bargs, Jose, Amir, Ed, hey boys, stick around, we might have another 2 - 3 losing seasons but hey, there's a rainbow after the rain. Would you, as a player, endure more losing seasons coz there is a "probability" that you the team can draft a talent? yikes.

I know most will be happy if bargs or jose asks for a trade, but the thing is, you let these guys go, and its rebuilding all over again. if demar bolts, youre all going to hate him for being disloyal, but what you dont get is the guy will not roll over and keep playing for a losing team. just throwing it out there, lebron was drafted in 2003 and the cavs didnt make the playoffs till 2005. and this kid was considered the chosen one.

Comment

My only problem with the "making playoffs = good season" mentality is that in the East it may be possible to make the playoffs with a 7 games under .500 record.

The playoffs ought to be a goal because making the playoffs means you've got a good team and have a chance to compete for the championship. If by making the playoffs all you've done is prove to yourselves that you're the best among the worst, then that should never be the goal.

Therefore, I'd want the Raps to make the playoffs if they could do so with a winning record. All making the playoffs do for you if your record is 34-48 is take you out of the lottery. Basically, playoffs with a losing record is not an accomplishment.

Comment

Happy. Gotta play to win. Plus, playoff experience is good for young players, it hardens them, makes them hungry. Gives them a sight of the "promised land", albeit far away on the horizon.

Plus, there is no guarantees with the draft. Look at Blake G in his first yr, Oden, etc. We could get the 1st pick and then he is injured for the year. Lets play to win now boys!

Comment

What I am is a fan who doesn't believe I need to fit in either one of your designed buckets. What I am is a fan who is concerned with the long term, who has been a fan since day one and who realizes that tanking doesn't solve anything.

No, it doesn't.

The Raptors biggest problem is image. There's a reason why the good teams seem to always restock talent. Players want to go there because they have a respect, a proven system based on a good track record. High pick or not, if the Raptors don't establish stability they will never go anywhere. Outside the consensus top picks #5 could be no better than #10 or #15. I trust Colangelo's draft track record and I know where ever they land that he's going to select the guy he and his team feel is the most talented player on the board. Not to mention, for the third time, that they have the assets to trade up. If it makes sense to you to cheer against your team then by all means, proceed.

I'm sorry, but whoever said that is a moron. First off, Jennings didn't make the playoffs. Milwaukee did.
                      Jennings' true FG% is close to 50% this season, that's better than a guy like Deron Williams in his second year...The league wide perception seemed to be they got there because Jennings added the star power they needed to overcome obstacles and had he not been on that team they would not have made it. He seemed like their MVP to me. He was drafted tenth by the way. Seems like talent can be found outside the humiliation of finishing close to dead last in the league.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

But Jennings made the playoffs, period. If Garnett stayed in Minnesota waiting for the next big stud that they couldve gotten in the draft, would we even be talking about him right now? Why do you remember Damon? Its because of the ROY. Will it get him to the Hall? No. But Garnett winning a champioship with Boston, will that get him in the Hall. No doubt. How do you remember Mbenga? As a player? No. You remember him because he earned a ring with the lakers without even lifting a finger. You are right, an NBA career is not a sprint, but when you keep drafting players and developing them, for the other players in the team, the finish line gets farther and farther. You make the playoffs, even with a bad record, its still the playoffs. 7 other teams had worst records than you. that should be encouraging.

I think putting your future in the hands of a draftee is just bad GM-ing. what would that say to the current players on your team? that you dont think theyre good enough to make it so youre holding out for the draft? ouch.

A bad team losing and getting a draft pick is one thing, but purposely not doing anything so this team will lose and get a draft pick is just bullshit. New Jersey Nets. take a good whiff.
                        Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Jan 26, 2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Comfortably Numb..... I would be SHOCKED....followed by a numb feeling I'm sure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWszrZHBPI

Comment

What I am is a fan who doesn't believe I need to fit in either one of designed buckets. What I am is a fan who is concerned with the long term, who has been a fan since day one and who realizes that tanking doesn't solve anything.

No, it doesn't.

The Raptors biggest problem is image. There's a reason why the good teams seem to always restock talent. Players want to go there because they have a respect, a proven system based on a good track record. High pick or not, if the Raptors don't establish stability they will never go anywhere. Outside the consensus top picks #5 could be no better than #10 or #15. I trust Colangelo's draft track record and I know where ever they land that he's going to select the guy he and his team feel is the most talented player on the board. Not to mention, for the third time, that they have the assets to trade up. If it makes sense to you to cheer against your team then by all means, proceed.

Jennings' true FG% is close to 50% this season, that's better than a guy like Deron Williams in his second year...The league wide perception seemed to be they got there because Jennings added the star power they needed to overcome obstacles and had he not been on that team they would not have made it. He seemed like their MVP to me. He was drafted tenth by the way. Seems like talent can be found outside the humiliation of finishing close to dead last in the league.
                            and Wall was drafted 1st this year. The next Chris Paul/Jason Kidd. Um, looks like the wizards are weeeeellllll on their way to a playoff spot this year.

Comment

Yeah and if they can't build a consistent crew around him or he feels like he needs to play in a better system or a bigger spotlight they're left fighting to trade him for more draft picks to select prospects who they eventually, again, may be dealing in the hopes to get picks for new prospects. A destructive cycle only cured by establishing stability with excellent management and leadership who create positive ethical goals, a solid plan to get there and the patience to see it through.

Comment

Yeah and if they can't build a consistent crew around him or he feels like he needs to play in a better system or a bigger spotlight they're left fighting to trade him for more draft picks to select prospects who they eventually, again, may be dealing in the hopes to get picks for new prospects. A destructive cycle only cured by establishing stability with excellent management and leadership who create positive, ethical, goals and a plan to get there.
                                at least for some of us here, it will be exciting, year after year, we're shaking in our boots anticipating who will be our number one pick! god help us.

Comment

Working...
                                X