Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter to Bryan Colangelo

Dear Bryan,

As a long time Raptors fan, and long time fan of basketball in general, I am concerned with what you're game plan is going forward. Prior to the Raps entering the league I was a huge Celtics and Lakers fan. I know those are odd choices to cheer for at the same time, but I loved Boston because it was the team closest to where I lived, and how could you not love Larry Bird and the rich Celtics history. On the other hand I loved the style of play that Magic and Kareem brought to the floor. Obviously we can't create a rich history in one season, or with any amount of personnel changes, but we can create, or personify a style of play in one season and with personnel changes. My hope is that someday when I say the words "Now that is Raps basketball", it is not a negative thing. The Raptors, as an organization, do not have an identity, or at least not a positive one. That can and should change.

All I am asking is that you, Bryan Colangelo, decide on what that identity will be, and then stick to it. Are we a run and gun team, are we a defensive first team, or we something entirely new, it really doesn't matter. Once that is decided could you then please tell us what you intend to be, and then make the personnel changes needed to become that, and please don't waiver, or rethink or retool or give up on it. It would nice as fan to know that upper management had a plan, and that they were confident enough to share it with the general public. I am, of course, aware that it is easier to keep the status quo, because you have no accountability to us, the fans. I understand if you tell us that you plan to build a run and gun team, and then bring in someone that doesn't fit that mold, we can call you on it. Well quite obviously that game plan has not worked for you so far, and you have ended up with a team that looks a glued together jigsaw puzzle put together by a 7 year old on a sugar high. It's possible that if you actually, publicly, verbally commit to a game plan, you would be more apt to follow it. I am sorry to come off so negative, but it seems that you have enough people at MLSE blowing sunshine up your ass, that a dose of reality will do you some good.

Bryan, you are 100% capable of doing this job, I have no doubt about it, but it seems to me that you have not actually envisioned an end product. I know you inherited someone else's mess when you came on board, and you were probably told that Chris Bosh was the face of the Raptors, and to build around him. You're first mistake was buying into that dream. Chris Bosh is a fantastic player and for 6 years of his 7 he was a franchise asset, but he was not a franchise player. I understand that this was the reason for all your moves up until he left, and while the moves did not pan out, it was not that they were bad ideas at all. Bosh and JO, and Bosh and Hedo should have worked, on paper they were great choices, and I was personally excited by both pick ups, and I even thought that Bellinelli would play his way into the starting line up, the way he has in NO. Well the past is the past and so let's move on, and put it behind us.
    You have an opportunity to rebuild the Raptors, not just the team, but the whole identity. I assume that you are working on some behind the scenes things with the trade deadline coming up, and I also assume there are big plans for the draft. It sure would be nice to hear a State of the Raptors address sometime soon.

bigbubbamac wrote: View Post
    Dear Bryan,

As a long time Raptors fan, and long time fan of basketball in general, I am concerned with what you're game plan is going forward. Prior to the Raps entering the league I was a huge Celtics and Lakers fan. I know those are odd choices to cheer for at the same time, but I loved Boston because it was the team closest to where I lived, and how could you not love Larry Bird and the rich Celtics history. On the other hand I loved the style of play that Magic and Kareem brought to the floor. Obviously we can't create a rich history in one season, or with any amount of personnel changes, but we can create, or personify a style of play in one season and with personnel changes. My hope is that someday when I say the words "Now that is Raps basketball", it is not a negative thing. The Raptors, as an organization, do not have an identity, or at least not a positive one. That can and should change.

All I am asking is that you, Bryan Colangelo, decide on what that identity will be, and then stick to it. Are we a run and gun team, are we a defensive first team, or we something entirely new, it really doesn't matter. Once that is decided could you then please tell us what you intend to be, and then make the personnel changes needed to become that, and please don't waiver, or rethink or retool or give up on it. It would nice as fan to know that upper management had a plan, and that they were confident enough to share it with the general public. I am, of course, aware that it is easier to keep the status quo, because you have no accountability to us, the fans. I understand if you tell us that you plan to build a run and gun team, and then bring in someone that doesn't fit that mold, we can call you on it. Well quite obviously that game plan has not worked for you so far, and you have ended up with a team that looks a glued together jigsaw puzzle put together by a 7 year old on a sugar high. It's possible that if you actually, publicly, verbally commit to a game plan, you would be more apt to follow it. I am sorry to come off so negative, but it seems that you have enough people at MLSE blowing sunshine up your ass, that a dose of reality will do you some good.

Bryan, you are 100% capable of doing this job, I have no doubt about it, but it seems to me that you have not actually envisioned an end product. I know you inherited someone else's mess when you came on board, and you were probably told that Chris Bosh was the face of the Raptors, and to build around him. You're first mistake was buying into that dream. Chris Bosh is a fantastic player and for 6 years of his 7 he was a franchise asset, but he was not a franchise player. I understand that this was the reason for all your moves up until he left, and while the moves did not pan out, it was not that they were bad ideas at all. Bosh and JO, and Bosh and Hedo should have worked, on paper they were great choices, and I was personally excited by both pick ups, and I even thought that Bellinelli would play his way into the starting line up, the way he has in NO. Well the past is the past and so let's move on, and put it behind us.
    You have an opportunity to rebuild the Raptors, not just the team, but the whole identity. I assume that you are working on some behind the scenes things with the trade deadline coming up, and I also assume there are big plans for the draft. It sure would be nice to hear a State of the Raptors address sometime soon.
    Nice letter but telling everyone his plan is a good way to ensure it doesn't work out.

I agree Bosh was not the guy to build around and I'm sure he had little choice in the matter. When MLSE lost Wince, Bosh was annointed. The same has happened with Andrea to some extent but I think it is clear to everyone, especially after trying to make Bosh something he wasn't, that Bargnani is not a franchise player either. Temporary face of the franchise might be best used to describe what he is.

I think it is pretty clear he is trying to build around youth and athleticism. The last few acquisitions have all been great athletes (minus Peja).

The reality is the post-CB4 era is 6.5 months in. The direction will be much clearer after the trade deadline and, if not, certainly at the draft.

Comment

Your right Matt, but he does have a right to ask and a "State of the Team" letter/email has been sent in the past.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Your right Matt, but he does have a right to ask and a "State of the Team" letter/email has been sent in the past.
        I think of Cho in Portland. He has told everyone he has a plan - but no one knows what it is and he isn't sharing.

Comment

I don't need the nitty gritty details, I need to know that he is working towards something. If he comes out and says "We are looking to build a hard nosed defensive team" I fail to see how doing so will derail that. All I want from the Raps is a direction, and a sense of identity, cause we sure as hell don't have one now. Building around youth and athleticism is not an identity, it's called rebuilding, what I want to know is what we are building. The first thing he needs to do is determine what his stance on Bargs is, because if Bargs stays then there goes any chance of a defensive minded team. Those type of teams need the whole team to buy in, and if you are selling defense, you can be damn sure Bargs isn't buying. That being said, I do believe a very solid team can be built with Bargs as a major piece, if roles get redefined, and we do not count on him as the leader, center piece or franchise player. Bargs is at best a second option, at worst a third.

Comment

bigbubbamac wrote: View Post
            I don't need the nitty gritty details, I need to know that he is working towards something. If he comes out and says "We are looking to build a hard nosed defensive team" I fail to see how doing so will derail that. All I want from the Raps is a direction, and a sense of identity, cause we sure as hell don't have one now. Building around youth and athleticism is not an identity, it's called rebuilding, what I want to know is what we are building. The first thing he needs to do is determine what his stance on Bargs is, because if Bargs stays then there goes any chance of a defensive minded team. Those type of teams need the whole team to buy in, and if you are selling defense, you can be damn sure Bargs isn't buying. That being said, I do believe a very solid team can be built with Bargs as a major piece, if roles get redefined, and we do not count on him as the leader, center piece or franchise player. Bargs is at best a second option, at worst a third.
            I think you can have an athletic running team while focusing on defense. Good defense leads to easy offense afterall.

You are right though - I'd love to know what direction he wants to take. What is the masterplan in his eye's mind? I listen/watch/read all interviews/quotes from him trying to get an idea of where the team is going. Unfortunately, of late, he is the master of saying nothing with a lot of words.

Comment

The best Front offices/Coaching staff are the ones who recognize their teams strengths and weaknesses and don't try to pigeonhole them into a style just to repeatedly declare that they have an identity.

If somewhere down the line we acquire (draft) the 2nd coming of Pierce/Shaq/Duncan/etc we should scrap our running game and grind it out. If we draft the next Steve Nash/Curry/Amare/etc we should build to our strengths while trying to minimize our weaknesses.

I can just imagine the Raps Front office reading this and cackling to each other about the naivety of this ultimatum...
              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar, what ultimatum are you referring to? I fail to see how it is naive to have a game plan, and an identity in mind when building a team. So to your way of thinking Danny Ainge did not plan on building the Celtics as we see them now, he just took the best of what was available and played to there strengths. So he didn't make a conscious effort to build the team as we see it. Lakers management didn't make a conscious effort to improve the Lakers a few years ago when Kobe was talking about leaving. You think they just happened to get Gasol because he was available? They went looking for him, and got him because he fit the identity they were looking to build. The only time a GM takes the best available is in the draft, any other deals have to be done with an end result in mind. In case you missed this whole season so far, we happen to be in a rebuilding mode, and the last time I checked when you build something you start from a blueprint. You think OKC is where it is because their management just grabbed what was available and hoped for the best. So who are these best front offices you are referring too, cause I can hear them cackling at the fact that you think they don't have a blueprint and an identity in mind. Is it possible that you are David Kahn? Or a member of his staff? If you are not it may be a place to drop a resume off to.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I think you can have an athletic running team while focusing on defense. Good defense leads to easy offense afterall.

You are right though - I'd love to know what direction he wants to take. What is the masterplan in his eye's mind? I listen/watch/read all interviews/quotes from him trying to get an idea of where the team is going. Unfortunately, of late, he is the master of saying nothing with a lot of words.
                  Does BC even have a plan? He has lost the trade touch for a long time. The jigsaw of a team we are seeing now is all we need to know. lol.

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that we're trying to assemble a young, athletic, running squad squad. I thought it was pretty evident. Look at the pieces we have on the team - most of them are long and athletic - aren't we also top-10 in the league in fast break points?

Comment

you're right i wish he would tell us what the team's identity is.... in phx everyone knew they were run n gun, and they still won 60+ games...

hopefully the players know what it is.

btw...why does everyone assume MLSE wanted to build around bosh. over the last 4 years i must have heard BC say maybe 20 times how bosh is the franchise.... bosh is so special. bosh has all the tools... bosh this... and bosh that...

if he didnt believe it himself, then should he not have used his communication skills to try to persuade MLSE that hey maybe we're better off by trading bosh ? and there were tons of evidence that bosh wasnt a franchise player including all the non-playoff seasons, and all the 1st round exits...

the biggest mistake bc made was thinking if we just make the playoffs bosh will have no choice but to re-sign... but in 09-10 let's say bosh doesnt break his face, the raptors beat the bulls and finish 8th... then lose to the cavs in 4-6 games... would those 4-6 games really force bosh to stay ? i dont think so....

Comment

karim_nasir wrote: View Post
                        the biggest mistake bc made was thinking if we just make the playoffs bosh will have no choice but to re-sign... but in 09-10 let's say bosh doesnt break his face, the raptors beat the bulls and finish 8th... then lose to the cavs in 4-6 games... would those 4-6 games really force bosh to stay ? i dont think so....
                        I'm a total conspiracy theorist, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the Bron/Wade/Bosh fiasco was preplanned. Bosh quit on the Raptors and James quit on the Cavs. Bosh couldn't bolt if Toronto made the playoffs and similar with James and the finals, so they just folded on their teams to ensure their plan. Those no-integrity havin' bastards.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                          I'm a total conspiracy theorist, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the Bron/Wade/Bosh fiasco was preplanned. Bosh quit on the Raptors and James quit on the Cavs. Bosh couldn't bolt if Toronto made the playoffs and similar with James and the finals, so they just folded on their teams to ensure their plan. Those no-integrity havin' bastards.
                          ya it's pretty obvious that the three of them wanted to play together since the 2008 summer olympics in China - I hope they never win a championship
                          Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

What if he said he wanted to build the Euro-Raps 2.0? I'm just saying that chemistry, talent, coaching, drafting, and just about everything else in the NBA is more important that a identity gimmick. I mean look what happened to the Young Onez, Killer B's, Protect the house, Point Forward (Turk), Phoenix North (Marion), 3 Bigs (JO, Bosh, Bargs), P&R everything (Post-Ford), Forderon/Caldeford, Euro-raps, 7 seconds and under, Grind it out Defense (Kevin O'neil teams), etc, etc, etc

They are usually just gimmicks that the Coaching staff/Front office make up and the Media exploits on slow days...

If they don't do anything in the win column they remain inconsequential.
                            When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                            X