Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hedo Talks Raptors

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This team has a bad trend of giving the franchise label to almost anyone. Our next one better be an actual franchise player. Hopefully DeMar. Maybe if we get lucky enough we can draft Irving or Perry Jones. The guy is a 6'11" SF, similar to Kevin Durant. Now im not sure about everyone else but i love how we keep tanking! This gives us a better chance at getting the 1st overall selection. Keep your fingers crossed people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    This team has a bad trend of giving the franchise label to almost anyone. Our next one better be an actual franchise player. Hopefully DeMar. Maybe if we get lucky enough we can draft Irving or Perry Jones. The guy is a 6'11" SF, similar to Kevin Durant. Now im not sure about everyone else but i love how we keep tanking! This gives us a better chance at getting the 1st overall selection. Keep your fingers crossed people.
    This above post seems kinda outta sorts in this particular thread.

As for Hedo, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's essentially a 6'10" PG in a SF's body. He would have been REALLY successful in Portland playing point forward. In Toronto, he's not as effective because we had 2 PGs in Jack and Calderon who had the ball in their hands all the time. Nash dominated the ball in Phoenix. He's doing much better in Orlando because he has the ball in the hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    This above post seems kinda outta sorts in this particular thread.

As for Hedo, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's essentially a 6'10" PG in a SF's body. He would have been REALLY successful in Portland playing point forward. In Toronto, he's not as effective because we had 2 PGs in Jack and Calderon who had the ball in their hands all the time. Nash dominated the ball in Phoenix. He's doing much better in Orlando because he has the ball in the hands.
    I'm not quite sure he'd pan out well in Portland. *shrugs* From what I read a while ago (can't find the article), Brandon Roy wasn't too please with Andre Miller having the ball in his hands 90% of the time.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The finals trip definitely went to his head. He has a skewed sense of entitlement. Someone needs to tell him he's not Kobe Bryant. Wait, they did and he faked sick and went out partying.
    Actually, wasn't he dubbed "The Turkish Michael Jordan"?
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RPT23 wrote: View Post
    I'm not quite sure he'd pan out well in Portland. *shrugs* From what I read a while ago (can't find the article), Brandon Roy wasn't too please with Andre Miller having the ball in his hands 90% of the time.
    Good point. I actually forgot about that.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    If only Colangelo had realized early on (like pretty much everyone else), that Chris Bosh cannot be used as a centerpiece for rebuilding, we wouldn't have wasted our time with JO or Hedo. Bosh was literally stuffed down our throats as a "franchise player" when everybody deep down knew he wasn't.
    Agree 100%

Hedo is right that the Raptors misused him. My question is whether what his role was going to be on the team was communicated to him up-front, because how he's going to be used shouldn't come as a surprise to the player. Shouldn't that be communicated in the earliest stages of negotiation? I'm thinking the Raptors made an offer without even thinking about whether it was going to be a good fit from Hedo's end, they envisioned him a certain way and never communicated that to him. Either that, or the MASSIVE contract he was offered blinded his senses and he accepted without thought.
    I think the onus is on the management. Shoot, I'd sign a contract to play Centre for the Raps for 10 million. You know what, I'd even take half that Does that mean they should sign me?

And where is everyone coming with this Hedo was "out of shape"? Dont get carried away now....
    He reportedly sat out the early training camp because he played up to mid June in the Finals and then heavy minutes for Turkey all summer. It sounded reasonable that both parties would want him to rest his legs. Whether or not that was the correct decision is another argument.

Out of shape is when someone does not do anything over the whole summer and comes to camp overweight etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Turk will only work in a system with a dominant low post player like Dwight. Nobody on the Raptors was that person, nor on the Suns, or even Portland. I could see him work on the Knicks and Magic, that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Turk will only work in a system with a dominant low post player like Dwight.
    I feel it's by choice. If Hedo can't "get his" then he's going to phone it in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel it's by choice. If Hedo can't "get his" then he's going to phone it in.
    I agree with you there. I think he can only play inside-out with a dominant big though. Hedo is a good catch and shoot guy, but is fat and can't cut or run for shi*. He was expected to do lots of that in PHX and here, and he just decided not to even try. Good players would try to expand their game to suit the needs of the team. He-dont is not that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Hedo is a good catch and shoot guy, but is fat and can't cut or run for shi*
    In this article he complained that Toronto only wanted him to catch and shoot. I agree he showed up out of shape and never got in shape.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

when you're slow and fat, and always trailing behind your teammates up court, you cant really complain about being a perimiter catch and shoot player.

oliver miller overcame his fatness by learning how to throw really long accurate passes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

In this article he complained that Toronto only wanted him to catch and shoot. I agree he showed up out of shape and never got in shape.
    Yes, BUT, not catch and shoot off a high - low feed to their low post guy. Watch him and Dwight.

Pass to Dwight, double/triple team converges, kick out to catch and shoot Hedo.

Toronto wanted him to cut cross court, north south, spot up in the corner pockets. What happened most times- CLANG CLANG CLANG

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Good find. I'm actually happy for him. The Toronto situation just didn't work out. It is what it is.

Raptors Republic Rookie Raptoronto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...looks pretty doughy in a Raps uni.

http://twitpic.com/3tyyqz
    Last edited by Raptoronto; Thu Jan 27th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hedo has all the rights in the world to brag after his recent plays in Orlando. He has proven that under the right system, he is a very capable player. The problem is OUR Dumb ASS GM who gives such a contract to a player without thinking about if he is going to fit the system.

Then it is our DUMB ASS Coach who has no clue on how to use the players effectively.

Look at NO now. They are top 4 team in defence in the league and have Belineli and Jack as starter and first guy off the bench. How is it these guys couldn't play defence worth a Lick and now they can handle their share in a team like NO ???

Answer is the system, coaching and keep people accountable. All these are lacking in our team.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I call Bullshit. So much bullshit. Fuck this self-aggrandizing asshole.

Hedo had the ball as a facilitator more often than he didn't when he was in Toronto. I seem to recall all sorts of him getting the ball on the wing and doing jack shit with it. Not once can I remember them sticking him in the corner like Mo Pete or Anthony Parker to be this "spot up shooter" role he is claiming.

This is an obvious case of a guy who is making excuses for his shitty effort and poor play in 2 NBA stops. He got paid, and then mailed it in on two mediocre teams. Clearly he can be an effective player in the right situation, but apparently there is only one such situation --> Orlando with the league's most dominant post player (coincidence?)

This story is an example of revisionist history.

And Hedo is the one who has the most to gain by the revision. Don't believe the hype, he's a mediocre NBA player who cashed in on one good post-season because his agent was in his ear talking $$$ the whole time. Hedo had his talents overrated by the NBA pundits and he took it to the bank.
    Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Thu Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hedo didn't give a shit and didn't get enough ball. Meh.

Raptors Republic Rookie Brain Colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If only Colangelo had realized early on (like pretty much everyone else), that Chris Bosh cannot be used as a centerpiece for rebuilding, we wouldn't have wasted our time with JO or Hedo. Bosh was literally stuffed down our throats as a "franchise player" when everybody deep down knew he wasn't.

Hedo is right that the Raptors misused him. My question is whether what his role was going to be on the team was communicated to him up-front, because how he's going to be used shouldn't come as a surprise to the player. Shouldn't that be communicated in the earliest stages of negotiation? I'm thinking the Raptors made an offer without even thinking about whether it was going to be a good fit from Hedo's end, they envisioned him a certain way and never communicated that to him. Either that, or the MASSIVE contract he was offered blinded his senses and he accepted without thought.
    He almost signed with Portland where the ball would have been in Brandon Roy's hands. All he wanted was money. Once he got money he wanted a good role but didn't want or try to earn it.

Raptors Republic Rookie Brain Colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, historically, Raps so-called franchise players have been determined this way. Skill-wise, our past franchise players have been really good, they can all be labeled franchise players statistics wise, but when it comes to the mental and attitude aspect, theyre probably a 15th man on the team. And unfortunately, thats the most important aspect, IMO, that a franchise player should possess.
    Did u forget who bosh played with? Name the guys who worked harder and were mentally tougher... Anthony Parker, Garbo and maybe MoPete. That's it.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't need to pick sides on this debate. Both can be true. Hedo was not used to the best of his abilities and he was a lazy, self-absorbed quitter.

Thread Information