Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hedo Talks Raptors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    when you're slow and fat, and always trailing behind your teammates up court, you cant really complain about being a perimiter catch and shoot player.

oliver miller overcame his fatness by learning how to throw really long accurate passes
    That is gold.

Hedo did come into camp out of shape, but management screwed the pooch again by letting him rest due to his "fatigue" instead of recognizing that he was fat and needed to shed weight. The Raptors treated him like a prima donna and he soaked it in. Besides, how do you be fatigued and be fat? Or was he fatigued because he was fat?

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it's a shame...not only did the raps 'waste' his talent, so did he. basketball is so much more than a physical game...requires mental & psychological strength, and part of that is trusting yourself to leave your comfort zone if doing so benefits the greater good. i'm not trying to argue that the raps used him 'correctly,' i simply find it an all-too-convenient excuse for a guy who showed up woefully out of shape (perhaps due to injury) & who missed the majority of training camp/pre-season. how is a coaching staff supposed to trust that you're capable of replicating your 'success' as a facilitator with a completely new team if they don't get a chance to see it first-hand (i.e. TC/pre-season)? remember, last year was the year they were going to make a hard push, 'convince' bosh to stay by having a 'successful' season (i have no idea how MLSE/BC would define that...i assume it would be - at worst - making a strong showing in the playoffs). to toss hedo into the role of facilitator without knowing how it would turn out was, for them, a too-risky move. i'm sure they would have LIKED for him to be in that role, but he took himself out of the running for it...seems like a classic example of a marginal player believing the (ridiculous) over-hyping of his talent. further, it's not like the raps had set themselves up properly in terms of personnel to take full advantage of his skills as a facilitator - running the PnR/PnP with dwight (who ALWAYS rolls - and hard) is different than running it with either bargs or bosh, who are both more inclined to pop than to roll. bosh isn't nearly the same type of player as dwight - dwight needed to be set up, bosh was/is more of a 'dump it in & let him decide what to do with the ball' kind of guy. you'd also be marginalizing what was thought to be one of the raps' strengths - the PG position with jose & jack, both of whom need the ball to be productive (neither has ever been much of an 'off-the-ball' type player).

maybe that's the problem with the 'busts' who have come to the raps - they look at the lack of success with the team, and the lack of 'star' talent, and assume that they'll be 'the man' when they get here, and that all those lower-level players will be acquiescing to them, never thinking that they might have to adjust their games &/or personalities to fit in. i think we saw that with hedo & jack, and to a lesser extent (perhaps), JO.
    Last edited by yertu damkule; Fri Jan 28th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    This above post seems kinda outta sorts in this particular thread.

As for Hedo, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's essentially a 6'10" PG in a SF's body. He would have been REALLY successful in Portland playing point forward. In Toronto, he's not as effective because we had 2 PGs in Jack and Calderon who had the ball in their hands all the time. Nash dominated the ball in Phoenix. He's doing much better in Orlando because he has the ball in the hands.
    except that roy dominates the ball, and they also have miller...those two have had enough trouble playing nicely together, i can't imagine adding hedo wouldn't have created the same situation as the one in TO. except, of course, he would have had to have knee surgery. what, that isn't prerequisite of being a blazer? i think batum is scheduled for his in april...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RPT23 wrote: View Post
    Actually, wasn't he dubbed "The Turkish Michael Jordan"?
    yes, but what are the chances it was the Turkish who did that dubbing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    Hedo has all the rights in the world to brag after his recent plays in Orlando. He has proven that under the right system, he is a very capable player. The problem is OUR Dumb ASS GM who gives such a contract to a player without thinking about if he is going to fit the system.

Then it is our DUMB ASS Coach who has no clue on how to use the players effectively.

Look at NO now. They are top 4 team in defence in the league and have Belineli and Jack as starter and first guy off the bench. How is it these guys couldn't play defence worth a Lick and now they can handle their share in a team like NO ???

Answer is the system, coaching and keep people accountable. All these are lacking in our team.
    amazing how much better someone can look from a defensive perspective when there's legit post-D playing behind them, huh?

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    That is gold.

Hedo did come into camp out of shape, but management screwed the pooch again by letting him rest due to his "fatigue" instead of recognizing that he was fat and needed to shed weight. The Raptors treated him like a prima donna and he soaked it in. Besides, how do you be fatigued and be fat? Or was he fatigued because he was fat?
    well, take it from somebody who's lost over 40 lbs in the last year... fatigue isn't really a bi-product of being fat... its the god awful diet that made you fat that makes you fatigued..

the power of a proper balanced nutritional diet is sooooo underrated..

i've had weeks where all i ate was pizza... you turn into the south park kids playing warcraft REAL QUICK..

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    well, take it from somebody who's lost over 40 lbs in the last year... fatigue isn't really a bi-product of being fat... its the god awful diet that made you fat that makes you fatigued..

the power of a proper balanced nutritional diet is sooooo underrated..

i've had weeks where all i ate was pizza... you turn into the south park kids playing warcraft REAL QUICK..
    er, so, you are saying that pizza is not the nutritionally balanced meal that it's touted to be?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    er, so, you are saying that pizza is not the nutritionally balanced meal that it's touted to be?!
    hold on a sec...i always get confused when it comes to pizza. is it a fruit or veggie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    except that roy dominates the ball, and they also have miller...those two have had enough trouble playing nicely together, i can't imagine adding hedo wouldn't have created the same situation as the one in TO. except, of course, he would have had to have knee surgery. what, that isn't prerequisite of being a blazer? i think batum is scheduled for his in april...
    Roy did dominate the ball. If they had Hedo however, Miller wouldn't have been a Blazer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Roy did dominate the ball. If they had Hedo however, Miller wouldn't have been a Blazer.
    i realize that, i was just trying to point out that hedo & roy together wouldn't have resulted in a situation that would have 'worked' for hedo either, since he would have had to defer to roy...and miller handles it far less (well, before roy got hurt) than hedo likely would have wanted to. i didn't phrase my comment properly.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

turk is a good player he just needs to have the ball 24/7 and have dwight cover his back

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information