View Poll Results: Should Jay Triano be fired?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Get him out as soon as possible!

10 25.64%
  • NO! He deserves to grow with the team!

12 30.77%
  • NOT YET! Wait until the season ends.

17 43.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical thread two: Should he stay or go? Jay Triano

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, Colangelo's history doesn't suggest he will hire an experienced, veteran head coach. You also have to consider how attractive (or unattractive) this job is given the current state of the team. My suspicion is it will be an assistant that is looking for a first head coaching role: Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw (if he doesn't get the Lakers gig and a good job doesn't open up), Bill Laimbeer, MIke Budenholzer (though SA assts. track record is mixed).

It also has to be someone who has the same philosophy as BC and a guy whose system the star players (whoever they are) will buy into. Personally, I don't see how Triano comes back next year but, then again, I can't understand why Colangelo still has a job, so what do I know - Triano might end up back here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Two words:

Ettore

Messina

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Sorry guys, Colangelo's history doesn't suggest he will hire an experienced, veteran head coach. You also have to consider how attractive (or unattractive) this job is given the current state of the team. My suspicion is it will be an assistant that is looking for a first head coaching role: Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw (if he doesn't get the Lakers gig and a good job doesn't open up), Bill Laimbeer, MIke Budenholzer (though SA assts. track record is mixed).

It also has to be someone who has the same philosophy as BC and a guy whose system the star players (whoever they are) will buy into. Personally, I don't see how Triano comes back next year but, then again, I can't understand why Colangelo still has a job, so what do I know - Triano might end up back here.
    +1 for Bill Laimbeer. Dirty, tough, won't tolerate lax play from his team. Plus he coached a bunch of girls so he will know how to deal with Weems, Kleiza, etc..

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    Yes, and that reason is named Jerry Colangelo.

I'm for Triano sticking around, its not his fault the team has a losing record, and I do think he has what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA. But to say Coach K, D'Antoni, or any other coach picked him for USA selects probably isn't accurate. You'd have to go higher-up into USA basketball to see who hired him - BC's dad.
    I'm pretty sure Coach K picks his assistants

He's not goin anywhere. He's had no one who is really talented tocoach. He had Bosh, and they did good for a while there but he just hasn't had the right personel to do anything with

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    BC needs to acquire strong defenders, but there's also a need to acquire some players with decent handles. I'd even overpay for Jamal Crawford at this point if he was the missing piece.
    Do you know Jamal Crawford is probably one of the worst defenders in the league?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Do you know Jamal Crawford is probably one of the worst defenders in the league?
    im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year.

hey he scores 20 pts takes horrible shots, plays no D, SIGN HIM UP !

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Two words:

Ettore

Messina

interesting...never hear of him till now what does he bring to the table ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    interesting...never hear of him till now what does he bring to the table ?
    Multi-time EuroLeague Coach of the Year.
    Italian National Team Coach.

Ya, that would go over REAL well.
    Mauriizio would be through the roof though! haha

UPDATE: Though I did just recall he also coaches Real Madrid ie Ricky Rubio. Meh, still not interested.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 31st, 2011 at 07:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote karim_nasir wrote: View Post
    im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year.

hey he scores 20 pts takes horrible shots, plays no D, SIGN HIM UP !
    Not what I would be looking for but to each their own.

I was attempting to highlight the fact you are advocating BC bringing in strong defenders in one sentence and in the next overpaying Jamal Crawford who is one of the worst defenders at guard in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Two words:

Ettore

Messina

I've been a Messina fan for a long time. Problem is, he's only coming over for a head coaching position, he wouldn't come over for an assistant position and it would be ideal for him to come over and learn the NBA game as it differs from FIBA ball.

I wouldn't mind David Blatt either.

For the time being, I'd keep Triano. This team's fortunes aren't suddenly gonna turn around with someone else at the helm. This team is very young and very raw. It needs a teacher as much as it needs a coach.

Post Thanks / Like

If they do hire a new coach, he needs to have much greater say in what kind of players are being brought in, kept and shipped out. Getting a new coach should be about adopting a particular philosophy and then sticking to it, and it has to align with the GM's philosophy. It's not about getting a new coach, it's about whether you trust BC to hire the right coach.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh, that was me that mentioned Jamal Crawford.

1 condition for bringing him in was that he would be the final piece.

The second detail was that he would make the Raptors a better defensive team by forcing them to play him in practice. He may not be a great example, but again, the Raps don't see anyone in practice with any more than average on-the-ball creativity.

The reason why I would want Triano fired is that he has not been able to get any incarnation of Raptors teams to play half-decent defence. Any player who arrives in Toronto regresses defensively. They don't put anyone on their butts, and they don't play with any killer instinct. If it was a few players like that, it's on those players. If the whole team is like that, it's on the coach.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Triano needs to go.

His defenders keep saying "it's not his fault, give him time". There is some truth to the comment that it's not his fault - no coach could turn this team into a serious contender - but that doesn't mean he deserves more time.

Despite a good background, a reputation of knowing the game, and experience at the highest level, Triano still routinely makes bad coaching decisions. Questionable substitutions, poor use of timeouts, an inability to make anyone on the team play defense... and what was that childish BS tonight at the end of the Pacers game? Triano might make an excellent assistant, but he's not cut out to be a head coach in the NBA any more than Bargs can carry a team or Amir is destined to be the next Raptors all-star.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    If they do hire a new coach, he needs to have much greater say in what kind of players are being brought in, kept and shipped out. Getting a new coach should be about adopting a particular philosophy and then sticking to it, and it has to align with the GM's philosophy. It's not about getting a new coach, it's about whether you trust BC to hire the right coach.

Add to that this:

Has BC even in the last 5 years showed that he is willing to adopt a philosophy ( as you put it) and stick to it !!!

To me, he makes trade for the rush that he gets from it. He gets an intoxicating high from his trade and that is about it.

Getting another Coach under BC is just a mistake. BC needs to go and after he is gone, the New GM can bring in his own coach and hopefully trade some of these guys away and build a real team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not what I would be looking for but to each their own.

I was attempting to highlight the fact you are advocating BC bringing in strong defenders in one sentence and in the next overpaying Jamal Crawford who is one of the worst defenders at guard in the league.
    no again, if you improve your reading comprehension skills, you would understand that i said in the exact words:

"im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year."

not that I ME karim_nasir want crawford, but i think BC has him high on a list of FA's (sorry...free agents) to recruit next year.

the sentence after that was BC justifying the signing by saying "hey he scores 20 pts a game, takes horrible shots, and plays no D. LETS SIGN HIM UP

meaning he fits everything BC looks for when signing players examples include kapono, turkoglu, calderon, bargnani, kleiza...etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That Jason Kapono signing was a master pice, I tell ya

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the pre-season predictions were that the Raptors would be in for a dreadful season. No pundits said "This team is a winner!! Just make sure the coach doesn't get in the way and screw things up." They said this team had woefully little talent. And that's exactly what has been borne out. Seriously, no coach could have taken this bunch deep into the playoffs. They are what they are. So why act like its all JT's fault? Listen, no top coach or rising-star assistant is going to risk his reputation on this bunch of also rans. The Raptors have got to turn over their roster before they're going to get a sniff from any of the guys you are suggesting.

Besides, didn't BC bring in PJ to turn the Raptors into defensive juggernauts? I imagine that wasn't JT's idea. Not sure if PJ is a bonafide NBA head coach but the man does know about defense. He just needs a team willing to carry out his schemes, and that ain't this team. The problem isn't JT and it isn't PJ. It's the guys on the the court when the clock starts running.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote skeptical wrote: View Post
    Triano needs to go.

His defenders keep saying "it's not his fault, give him time". There is some truth to the comment that it's not his fault - no coach could turn this team into a serious contender - but that doesn't mean he deserves more time.

Despite a good background, a reputation of knowing the game, and experience at the highest level, Triano still routinely makes bad coaching decisions. Questionable substitutions, poor use of timeouts, an inability to make anyone on the team play defense... and what was that childish BS tonight at the end of the Pacers game? Triano might make an excellent assistant, but he's not cut out to be a head coach in the NBA any more than Bargs can carry a team or Amir is destined to be the next Raptors all-star.
    +1. Triano can be blamed for a number of issues this year. I bought into the 'he's good for the young talent and developing' which I now see as total BS considering the fact he is not playing the young players when options present themselves, appears to have no awareness of the games (timeouts, matchups, lineups, situational calls), for an X's/O's guy seems to have no ability to draw up plays out of a time out (fadeaway Bargnani 3pointer for the game anyone?), and is ridiculous with his substitutions. He is hurting the team development, but hey, let's go for the draft pick - 3rd now.

But I don't like mid-season firings so keep him until the end of it.

As for who to come in:
    Would like van Gundy, definitely Nate McMillan (although the Lakers and Portland will be certainly ahead in line.), MAYBE Mike Brown.

NO NO NO: Larry Brown, O'brien, Woodsen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Uhhh, that was me that mentioned Jamal Crawford.

1 condition for bringing him in was that he would be the final piece.

The second detail was that he would make the Raptors a better defensive team by forcing them to play him in practice. He may not be a great example, but again, the Raps don't see anyone in practice with any more than average on-the-ball creativity.

The reason why I would want Triano fired is that he has not been able to get any incarnation of Raptors teams to play half-decent defence. Any player who arrives in Toronto regresses defensively. They don't put anyone on their butts, and they don't play with any killer instinct. If it was a few players like that, it's on those players. If the whole team is like that, it's on the coach.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Got mixed up.

I don't think Crawford is a player who helps on D which is where the Raptors issues lie. DD defense is suspect right now and Calderon's is as well and Crawford is playing for his last contract plus Barbosa. There isn't a defender in the group. The O has been struggling of late but that is more due to injuries IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote karim_nasir wrote: View Post
    no again, if you improve your reading comprehension skills, you would understand that i said in the exact words:

"im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year."

not that I ME karim_nasir want crawford, but i think BC has him high on a list of FA's (sorry...free agents) to recruit next year.

the sentence after that was BC justifying the signing by saying "hey he scores 20 pts a game, takes horrible shots, and plays no D. LETS SIGN HIM UP

meaning he fits everything BC looks for when signing players examples include kapono, turkoglu, calderon, bargnani, kleiza...etc.
    Again with the insults? You are correct that I made a mistake in who replied to what. Sorry to you and DonCarlos for the mix up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information