View Poll Results: Should Jay Triano be fired?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Get him out as soon as possible!

    10 25.64%
  • NO! He deserves to grow with the team!

    12 30.77%
  • NOT YET! Wait until the season ends.

    17 43.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Hypothetical thread two: Should he stay or go? Jay Triano

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T-dot
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Keeper

    He's doing a good job, progress isnt always messured in win / loss

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Are we getting the most out of this roster every given night?" Colangelo said. "That is what we're seeking to improve."

    "It is safe to say that after the debacle that we all witnessed last night against Denver, a 39-point loss, not to mention several other incidents this early season where we gave up double-digit leads or had mental breakdowns, with respect to the effort on the court, you come to a point where you realize some of the things you want to see out on the court are not taking place," Colangelo said.

    "There comes a time when you feel that the best way to improve a situation is to make a change at the top and a change in the voice."

    This was said after firing Sam Mitchell in 2008. Where art thou Mr. Colangelo?

    Your comments could be used against both you and Triano this year.

  3. #43
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    "Are we getting the most out of this roster every given night?" Colangelo said. "That is what we're seeking to improve."

    "It is safe to say that after the debacle that we all witnessed last night against Denver, a 39-point loss, not to mention several other incidents this early season where we gave up double-digit leads or had mental breakdowns, with respect to the effort on the court, you come to a point where you realize some of the things you want to see out on the court are not taking place," Colangelo said.

    "There comes a time when you feel that the best way to improve a situation is to make a change at the top and a change in the voice."

    This was said after firing Sam Mitchell in 2008. Where art thou Mr. Colangelo?

    Your comments could be used against both you and Triano this year.
    HAH. Nice. Good find.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My two cents:

    1. Keep Triano this year to ensure that we finish as low as possible without giving the impression of tanking.
    2. Lawrence Frank would be a solid hire for next season. He's a good teacher for young players, great defensive coach who holds players accountable and he won't stab his GM or the organization in the back publicly. The guy sucked it up for 16 losses on his coaching record last year, when the Nets were in tank mode and he still left with dignity.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    "Are we getting the most out of this roster every given night?" Colangelo said. "That is what we're seeking to improve."

    "It is safe to say that after the debacle that we all witnessed last night against Denver, a 39-point loss, not to mention several other incidents this early season where we gave up double-digit leads or had mental breakdowns, with respect to the effort on the court, you come to a point where you realize some of the things you want to see out on the court are not taking place," Colangelo said.

    "There comes a time when you feel that the best way to improve a situation is to make a change at the top and a change in the voice."

    This was said after firing Sam Mitchell in 2008. Where art thou Mr. Colangelo?

    Your comments could be used against both you and Triano this year.
    Good find. Different situations though - IMO. That was at the start of the season and playoffs were still a possibility and an expectation for the season. That is not the same expectation as this season.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Good find. Different situations though - IMO. That was at the start of the season and playoffs were still a possibility and an expectation for the season. That is not the same expectation as this season.
    Agreed but he also fired him after an 8-9 start.

    Triano inherited a team that went to the playoffs the year before. He has proceeded to not make it there again, even with the "best team" BC has ssembled in his time with the Raptors.

    There have been many 'debacles' the past few years under Trianos watch and most notably, defence is not taking place on the court for the past few years.

    There is not much accountability around these parts from the top on down.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Agreed but he also fired him after an 8-9 start.

    Triano inherited a team that went to the playoffs the year before. He has proceeded to not make it there again, even with the "best team" BC has ssembled in his time with the Raptors.

    There have been many 'debacles' the past few years under Trianos watch and most notably, defence is not taking place on the court for the past few years.

    There is not much accountability around these parts from the top on down.
    I think that was more on the players especially Bosh and Hedo. They were bigger disappointments than Triano coaching. They were 5th in east at allstar break and lost the final spot in playoffs on the last day of season - oh yeah and if Bosh had made the tip in vs GSW... escuse, excuse, excuse - lol.

    With the high turnover of players in the last few seasons, I am starting to question the coaches and their defensive practices. I am majorly disappinted in PJ. I expected more. He has a solid defensive history as a coach. Then again BC needs some accountability for the roster. A few more Ed Davis type players will help alot.

    It is tough to be accountable right now with the rash of injuries and the errors/poor play by a number of players on either one or both sides of the ball.

    I don't think firing JT is the best thing right now but if noticeable changes are not made by the end of the season, see you Jay.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm simply not qualified to make a judgement call on the coaching ability of Jay Triano. The players seem to play for him. Our defence is clearly sub par but is that coaching or simply youth and inexperience? The one thing I won't do is dismiss the importance of consistency in coaching, particularly with such a young team that, through the draft, is only going to become younger. The approach I want to see is to keep adding top tier talent through the draft as opposed to through trades, and surround the existing youth with more experienced players. Ultimately it is patience that will have to steer this ship. And we'll have to get lucky by finding a franchise type player in the draft. This teams fortunes are far more dependant on Colangelo than on Triano. Fans are far too knee jerk and if Colangelo is half the GM I hope he is, he will continue to dismiss those fans who continually call for heads be it players or coaches.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    T dot Oh
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he will get one more season next year, and that will be his time to shine or fail.... obviously he will go if it is the later...

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    You're suggesting Jerry did BC a 'big' and hired his Coach to Replace Mike D'antoni on perhaps the Biggest International Stage in Basketball? Thats hilarious. Jay has PROVEN international experience, and to suggest he was hired based on anything but that, is ridiculous.

    He's been with USAB program since 2007, which was actually BEFORE he was hired by BC to be the Raps Head Coach.
    Jerry Colangelo is regarded as perhaps the greatest mind in Basketball Management. I think he knows a thing or two. So whether it was him or the Coaching Staff is a moot point, as Triano is still a part of that Staff.
    No! Jerry did himself a favour

  11. #51
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Zigus wrote: View Post
    No! Jerry did himself a favour
    Jerry did himself a favour? Or Jerry did his son a favour?

    By the "No!", it sounds like you're arguing that Jerry Colangelo (again, one of the greatest minds in Basketball) hired the Toronto Raptors Assistant Coach at the time, to be an Assistant Coach with one of the Greatest International Programs; in order to do his Son a favour?
    I'm not sure I see any logic in that argument.

  12. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Messina

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •