Keeping DeRozen means Moving Bargs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping DeRozen means Moving Bargs

If you want a prayer of resigning DeRozen you can't subject him to putting his heart and soul in to a team which makes a guy like Bargs the focal point.

It sends the wrong message.

Busting your hump up and down the court and in practice to win games but to loose cause a guy wearing the same color jersey as you lets himself get out rebounded or scored on is something good players can't reconcile.

So they vacate.

Bargs has the talent to be a top flight big but his effort/interest is there about 60% of the time. He looks like a millionaire now. Some guys get rich and don't loose the fire - they live to compete.

Bargs is not that guy - neither was Vince Carter... DeRozen Might be.

Garnet Kobe Lebron are guys who play just as hard if they had a billion dollars as if they had one.

Remember players are more loyal to each other than they are to a city. Bron Wade and Bosh would have played CHI MIA NY CLE as long as they were together.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

The Raptors have DeRozan on the books for another two and a half season. It's difficult for guys coming out of rookie deals to leave their current team(name me one who left his drafted team where they made a qualifying offer and matched anything put on the table). The new CBA is rumored to make it even more difficult for players to leave their current teams. He's going no where. There is no rush to make any drastic moves. Best to let Bargnani continue to develop and pad those stats. The longer he establishes how he's been scoring, the more he improves on D and the boards the more value he will have. Hell, there's a possibility he develops into a Dirk Nowitzki type player. MVP caliber play would add excellent value to this team.

Comment

If DeRozan is THAT guy (and I think we all hope he is), the organization doesn't do anything positive by handing him the reigns on a silver platter. It's possibly a best-case scenario that Bargnani continues to be a lightning rod for all criticism directed at the team, and DeRozan can work out the kinks in his game, learn to be a consistent performer, and become a leader at his own pace. If we we were to trade Bargnani right now, DeRozan would immediately become the guy who bears the weight of all expectations associated with the team, and unless the losing immediately stops (here's a hint: it won't), media and fans eventually rip into him. It's happened to every player who's been the face of this team at some point. If he is the guy to lead us to better results, the best thing the organization can do is give him the time he needs to grow and develop. And as Apollo mentioned, such a course also increases the likelihood that Bargnani increases his own value, either for this organization or for a trade.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
        If you want a prayer of resigning DeRozen you can't subject him to putting his heart and soul in to a team which makes a guy like Bargs the focal point.

It sends the wrong message.

Busting your hump up and down the court and in practice to win games but to loose cause a guy wearing the same color jersey as you lets himself get out rebounded or scored on is something good players can't reconcile.

So they vacate.

Bargs has the talent to be a top flight big but his effort/interest is there about 60% of the time. He looks like a millionaire now. Some guys get rich and don't loose the fire - they live to compete.

Bargs is not that guy - neither was Vince Carter... DeRozen Might be.

Garnet Kobe Lebron are guys who play just as hard if they had a billion dollars as if they had one.

Remember players are more loyal to each other than they are to a city. Bron Wade and Bosh would have played CHI MIA NY CLE as long as they were together.
        Why would Ed Davis and Demar Derozan want to take the 3 year contract extension after the expiration of their rookie contracts for a team not committed to winning, no accountability and favoritism? Two more players leaving the Raptors in a few years if BC, MG and Bargs is till here. My two cents.

Comment

Bargs just needs to be moved. Period.

Comment

What purpose does it serve moving him right now? Are they ready to contend and he's the only weak link? Are they maximizing their asset by moving him right this instant? Do they even have a second string center fit for starting? How about a third fit for coming off the bench?

Comment

If you consider Bargs to be 'the guy' or a franchise player for the next few seasons, then yes, absolutely, look to trade him because he isn't 'that guy'.

If you consider Bargs to be a second or maybe even a third option player as you wait for current young players to develop/mature and hopefully draft another young future star then, no, you don't trade him. His contract reflects his worth - a second or third option.

Rebuilds don't occur in half a season.

It is priceless the threads that start when a guy is in a slump. None of these threads were here from mid-Dec to mid-Jan.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                What purpose does it serve moving him right now? Are they ready to contend and he's the only weak link? Are they maximizing their asset by moving him right this instant? Do they even have a second string center fit for starting? How about a third fit for coming off the bench?
                I don't think his value can be any higher than it currently is. Averaging under around 21.5 points a game, he's only 25 years of age so teams know that this guy, under the right system, can do pretty well, while continually improving whatever game he has.

Either way, the guy isn't even close to being a franchise player, and I don't even think he can work as a second fiddle, regardless of who he's playing with. So why are we keeping him? we aren't making it to the playoffs anytime soon so keeping him isn't going to raise the price tag on him. Trade him now for whatever young (but talented) players you can get, as well as trying to steal 1st round picks.

Comment

There's no more "slump" slack for Bargnani. He's never shown us anything that would intimate that he has the potential to be a first or even second option. David Anderson probably could have put up the same numbers in the same situation. (I'm not complimenting Anderson)

My hope is that BC is letting Andrea pad his PPG (a la Mike James) on a bad team so as to up his trade value for next year. Problem is, he can't even do that well.

(p.s. only Pollyanna wouldn't bash Bargnani after 5 years of waste)

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    If there is a right offer why not? He's young and can score. His contract is also manageable despite the uncertain CBA landscape. His knees concern me a bit (although premature at this point). However, the bigger issue is his impact in this team. The team is full of young players that require true veteran leadership. None of which Bargs cannot provide. He plays heavy minutes and takes the most shot in most games. I think that's a lot of "drain" on the rest of the team. The only way I can see him staying is if they manage to get a real center at the deadline or through future signings. The problem with this option though is that it really clogs the front court in an attempt to finding Bargs the appropriate front court partner. How does this mean to the development of Davis and Johnson? There's way too much accommodations being made for one guy.

PS> Many people will suggest that the reasons I stated above is good enough for the Raps to keep him. However, his impact on this team is a bigger issue and something that cannot be ignored.
                    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Mon Jan 31, 2011, 07:16 PM.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      If you consider Bargs to be 'the guy' or a franchise player for the next few seasons, then yes, absolutely, look to trade him because he isn't 'that guy'.

If you consider Bargs to be a second or maybe even a third option player as you wait for current young players to develop/mature and hopefully draft another young future star then, no, you don't trade him. His contract reflects his worth - a second or third option.

Rebuilds don't occur in half a season.

It is priceless the threads that start when a guy is in a slump. None of these threads were here from mid-Dec to mid-Jan.
                      but how can you WIN when your center is so weak ?

Comment

karim_nasir wrote: View Post
                        How did the Bulls win with such weak PG's and without a dominant big man?

How did the Pistons '04 team win without a superstar?

Answer: You build a team around what you have - defeciencies and all. I'm not saying winning with Bargnani is possible - but I don't think it is impossible either.

Comment

Answer: You build a team around what you have - defeciencies and all. I'm not saying winning with Bargnani is possible - but I don't think it is impossible either.
                          i didnt say anything about the pistons, but since you mentioned it lets break down their roster... again i didnt say you need a superstar so please dont use your usual tactics of making stuff up...

the pistons had

chauncey
                          rip
                          tay
                          sheed
                          ben

can you name any of these guys who are weak defenders please ?

Comment

matt52, again please show me where i said you need a DOMINANT big man ? where on earth did i say that ?

i said you cant have a weak centre, and to be more clear i was talking about defensively....

but please show me where i said you need a superstar or dominant big man which is what you claimed i said.

there's ways to make arguments and then there's your way which wouldn't even pass for a 4 year old.

Comment

i didnt say anything about the pistons, but since you mentioned it lets break down their roster... again i didnt say you need a superstar so please dont use your usual tactics of making stuff up...

the pistons had

chauncey
                              rip
                              tay
                              sheed
                              ben

can you name any of these guys who are weak defenders please ?
                              matt52, again please show me where i said you need a DOMINANT big man ? where on earth did i say that ?

i said you cant have a weak centre, and to be more clear i was talking about defensively....

but please show me where i said you need a superstar or dominant big man which is what you claimed i said.

there's ways to make arguments and then there's your way which wouldn't even pass for a 4 year old.
                              how do you read this and make up that i said you need a superstar or dominant big man ?

the funny thing is, the pistons centre was the opposite of bargnani and they won a championship.'

a guy that just played defense and grabbed boards. didnt make any 3's, didnt take any possesions off, and was 3 inches shorter. yet they still won ? why ? umm i dont know maybe cuz they played D.

Comment

Working...
                              X