Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hear me out... might not be such a bad idea... or maybe it would. Still a good chat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hear me out... might not be such a bad idea... or maybe it would. Still a good chat.

Leo Rautins for Head Coach.
    (Half Serious/ Half Stimulating Conversation.)

Okay, so first, I would have put this in an another coaching thread, but I'm more curious about people's overall opinion of him.

He told Sam Dalembert to LEAVE when he wasn't hustling on defense and playing team ball.
    He's HIGHLY critical of Bargnani's defense and overall game through-out his commentary. Both of which lead me to believe he would hold his players accountable, while still being able to relate to playing NBA ball. He knows the NBA game. Has played with MANY good players. Worked with MANY good coaches.

You think he ever gets a chance at coaching? I think he'd be pretty good.
    And man does he have nice hair. Having the hair is half the battle sometimes. Look at Riles.

How's that Canadian national team doing?

Comment

Obviously you don't think we are suffering enough.

Comment

I tihnk he could be good. its not like triano is doing so hot.

Comment

if leo was to become coach then wed officially have the worst coach in raps History...Id rather have chuck swirsky be coach

Comment

Leo gets a bad rap as a coach for no real reason, he has done well with what players he has had. I truly like him as our national team coach and am looking forward to the qualifying tournament this summer. People bashed Leo over the Dalembert incident, gave him crap when Denham Brown was a no show a few years ago, and question his player selection all the time. As things got out we see that Brown came back with hat in hand and apologized for his mistakes, Leo saw his growth in maturity and gladly took him back. Dalembert was not a team player, and did not just fit with the team. He is starting to bring along some of the young guys, getting them experience and teaching them the international game, something we as fans fail to realize the importance of when we say "why is this guy not there". FIBA is a different game and just because you had a decent college career at a mid major school does not mean you will do well with the National team.

That being said, I don't feel he would be a good fit to step in a coach this Raptors team, if Leo took the rout of being an assistant coach somewhere in the NBA and then in a few years came to be a head coach I would be fine with that.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Imanari wrote: View Post
              How's that Canadian national team doing?
              Men's Senior National Team is currently ranked 23rd out of... ALOT in the World.
              And seeing as the Raps are ranked 26th in the league out of 30; and LAST in some catergories, that ain't so bad. haha
              Also considering the amount of talent Leo has actually had to work with, its not so bad. Once a few of these guys playing college ball make the jump to the Senior team, I think we'll see a jump in the rankings as well.
              I'm not sure WHY Leo gets such a bad rap to be honest.
              Dude makes SOLID observations through out the game, and you can just HEAR that he would be ripping the shit out Bargnani every timeout. Makes Matt & Jack look like a couple of clowns. I'd rather just listen to Leo talk through the game. Dude knows his ish.

Comment

Interesting point wjf. I agree I would not like to see Leo as the raps head coach.

Comment

its not a great idea... but its not awful

people can knock him for the canadian national team, but really, what did he have to work with? when denham brown is your team's prima donna, there's a problem with your talent level.

canadian athletics get as much support as kindergarten dodgeball in the U.S. which is just plain ironic that they're so much more horrendously obese than us

can't say i'd be quick to sign a petition to make him head coach, or anything... his coaching body of work is kind of non-existent.. but i wouldnt be mad at it either..

Comment

I don't think Leo could handle the NBA egos. Let's see how he does with another go-around with the National Team before appointing him with someone as big as a head coaching gig of an NBA team.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      Interesting point wjf. I agree I would not like to see Leo as the raps head coach.
                      But what about as a Coach in the NBA in general? Or Asst.?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        But what about as a Coach in the NBA in general? Or Asst.?
                        I think he could be a valuable assistant coach in the NBA, he can relate with both the North American and International players, he had a very good career overseas and would know many of the foreign players from his time coaching Canada. He would be as valuable as most assistants out there.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

If Leo Rautins becomes the new head coach, the Raptors will be in the running for Rodney Purvis. He's expected to go number 1 in the 2014 NBA DRAFT.

Comment

I don't think Leo is the right choice. The last thing the Raps need is another coaching choice that seems more like a publicity stunt and installation of another guy that BC can control than a genuine attempt at improving the team. Assuming the talent develops over the next 2-3 years into a playoff team, the next step is bringing in quality free agents to supplement your core in a push for deep into the playoffs, and that requires your organization to be considered seriously around the league. I don't think Leo helps that.

Then again, I don't know who does. The ideal coach for the Raps would have a proven track record in developing young players, getting guys to play hard and installing successful defensive schemes. The problem is that there are very few coaches with that resume. To me, the will to play hard on the defensive end needs to come as much from the players policing themselves as it does the coach putting constant pressure on the players, because that constant pressure eventually gets tuned out or turned into bitterness and resentment. A good NBA team understands what has to be done and polices itself. You need a coach that facilitates that as much as anything else. And frankly I just don't think that right now the Raps have the players / personalities to police themselves, regardless of who is coaching.

Comment

Leo could never be the coach of the Raps because he loves the other teams too much.
                              If they played the Pacers he'd play a small lineup to avoid potentially causing an injury to Josh McRoberts and Roy Hibbert. He's an anti-homer. He'd perpetually whine about the guys he has saying "these are the guys I want, who play the right way." And when those guys came in it would start over again. Why would that change with a more stressful job?

Comment

Working...
                              X