Ron-Ron to TO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron-Ron to TO

No, I'm not bored nor crazy. If Ron-Ron (requesting a trade at the moment) had no problem playing for the Raps (which is a big IF), would a player of his experience / notoriety benefit the Raps both in the short and long-term? Could he play the role of a "Charles Oakley / Antonio Davis"?

PS> Could he be the answer at the 3 position?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Ron Artest is not Charles Oakley. Oakley wasn't crazy. Oakley wasn't detrimental to his team. Artest should shut the fuck up and enjoy the ride. His role is just to play D. He's no longer an offensive threat, even though he likes to think he is. I'd stay far away from him.

Comment

What?! benefit it us short term?! have you checked the standings lately, he isn't going to help us now, bringing him here would be doing opposite.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
        What?! benefit it us short term?! have you checked the standings lately, he isn't going to help us now, bringing him here would be doing opposite.
        Ok, cool, no need for hostility. I'm merely posing a question (that I neither endorse nor hate). You're right, bringing the opposite means more wins, losing out on the top 3 I get it. How about veteran leadership and helping the young ones, does that have merit? Mango, I hear (or read) you, point taken.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          Ok, cool, no need for hostility. I'm merely posing a question (that I neither endorse nor hate). You're right, bringing the opposite means more wins, losing out on the top 3 I get it. How about veteran leadership and helping the young ones, does that have merit? Mango, I hear (or read) you, point taken.
          Don't get me wrong, I wasn't mad, just trying to keep people mentally check here thats all.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Ron Artest is not Charles Oakley. Oakley wasn't crazy. Oakley wasn't detrimental to his team. Artest should shut the fuck up and enjoy the ride. His role is just to play D. He's no longer an offensive threat, even though he likes to think he is. I'd stay far away from him.
            Artest has been a standup guy in L.A. and has done a lot to reshape his image. He deserves more respect than he's getting here. You should go take a look at his charitable work. Artest's problems stem from his role or lack there of.

I'm not saying Toronto is the right place for him but I am saying he's not the first person to desire playing elsewhere because he was promised a certain role and it didn't happen. He's been very quiet about his displeasure and his agent isn't talking about it.

Artest's two main beefs?

1. He's weary of being scapegoated for the team's struggles and feels that he's destined to always absorb the bulk of the blame no matter what happens because Jackson and Bryant are so dependent on the more glamorous contributions of Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and will never publicly go after regal Laker lifer Derek Fisher.

2. As we heard at various points during his stops in Indiana, Sacramento and Houston, Artest is eventually going to squawk if he's being marginalized in the offense, which inevitably disengages him from his defensive responsibilities. (Relegated "to the corner shot" is the way Daniel Artest described it -- except that he said "regulated" and surely meant "relegated.")

It was stressed to me that Artest has actually coexisted better with Jackson since it emerged in December that Artest asked his coach to stop criticizing him so publicly and keep displeasure in-house. Despite Artest's increasingly regular stints on the bench in crunch time, I get the distinct vibe that settling for offensive scraps in the shadow of Kobe and Pau while absorbing the hottest heat on afternoons like Sunday when Paul Pierce erupts for 32 points has soured Artest far more than Jackson's frequently sharp tongue.
            Source: ESPN.com
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 2, 2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Artest has been a standup guy in L.A. and has done a lot to reshape his image. He deserves more respect than he's getting here. You should go take a look at his charitable work. Artest's problems stem from his role or lack there of.

I'm not saying Toronto is the right place for him but I am saying he's not the first person to desire playing elsewhere because he was promised a certain role and it didn't happen. He's been very quite about his displeasure and his agent isn't talking about it.
              He did a lot of charitable work in Indiana, Sacramento and Houston as well. I wasn't knocking the man as a human being off of the court. I'm saying that when he gets on the court, he doesn't always use his head - he needs a good coach to control him and know his boundaries. He would thrive on a team with veterans in the fold. He's got a good gig in Los Angeles right now. He plays on a winner, he's surrounded by a HOF coach and great teammates. Everyone plays a role on a team, and his role is to be a defensive stopper. He gets a lot of minutes and his production is considerably down from previous years. If he's gonna be a distraction, you better belive Kupchak and Jackson won't take that shit. Neither will his teammates.

Comment

Ron Artest

There are reports he wants out of LA, do you guys think raptors should go after him? http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/story...=Artest-110202
                Last edited by Goog; Wed Feb 2, 2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Goog wrote: View Post
                  There are reports he wants out of LA, do you guys think raptors should go after him?
                  Reading is FUN-demental.

Comment

Guys. Trade ideas go in the trade forum. Moved/merged.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    He did a lot of charitable work in Indiana, Sacramento and Houston as well. I wasn't knocking the man as a human being off of the court. I'm saying that when he gets on the court, he doesn't always use his head - he needs a good coach to control him and know his boundaries. He would thrive on a team with veterans in the fold. He's got a good gig in Los Angeles right now. He plays on a winner, he's surrounded by a HOF coach and great teammates. Everyone plays a role on a team, and his role is to be a defensive stopper. He gets a lot of minutes and his production is considerably down from previous years. If he's gonna be a distraction, you better belive Kupchak and Jackson won't take that shit. Neither will his teammates.
                    The man has been well behaved since moving to L.A.

I think you're giving Phil too much credit and Artest none. People mature with age. Wisdom is earned with age. Maybe he's wised up?

He didn't like Phil criticizing him in the media all the time. He doesn't like being a scapegoat. I can understand these sentiments I were to place myself in his shoes and wasn't being allowed to utilize my talents to the fullest.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 2, 2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

the lakers have too many wing guys, odom,artest,barnes,walton.kobe,brown

they can all be sixth man or starters in the league and play more minutes but l.a. can't give them all more minutes.

they need to move barnes or ron ron in my opinion.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Guys. Trade ideas go in the trade forum. Moved/merged.

The man has been well behaved since moving to L.A.

I think you're giving Phil too much credit and Artest none. People mature with age. Wisdom is earned with age. Maybe he's wised up?

He didn't like Phil criticizing him in the media all the time. He doesn't like being a scapegoat. I can understand these sentiments I were to place myself in his shoes and wasn't being allowed to utilize my talents to the fullest.
                        He was well-behaved in Houston for the most part. I believe the Lakers do use his talents to the fullest. They have a pretty deep squad (they should look into using him at the 4 on occasion), but with the improved play of Shannon Brown and Lamar Odom playing really well, everyone's minutes got cut a bit. I'm sure you've caught quite a few Laker games and you'll notice on offense, the guy jacks up quite a few ill-advised shots. All throughout last years playoffs, you could hear the collective groan go throughout Staples Centre whenever RonRon would hoist up a shot.

Has he matured? We'll see. If he makes a fuss about his time playing while having a role on a championship squad, causing a disturbance, then we'll know he has not matured. That's what might sour a lot of teams on acquiring him.

Comment

Artest in Toronto is a disaster. The man needs to be under the shadow of a strong , respectable coach and a great leader in the locker room. Both elements are missing from Toronto and this would end badly for both side.

Comment

Working...
                          X