• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tor-lal-chi (Artest)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4t46smb

To TOR:

Charlotte's 2012 1st rounder.
    Ron Artest
    Veteran. Defense. Toughness. Leadership. Bigger role. SF.

To LAL: Luol Deng
    Artest clone, but better numbers across the board. Kobe really likes him.

To CHI:

Leandro Barbosa
    Luke Walton.

Slasher/scorer at the 2 that they covet, can also play point. Finally able to move Deng's large contract. Save big dollars.

Win-Win-Win.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Wed Feb 2, 2011, 04:43 PM.

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4t46smb

To TOR:

Charlotte's 2012 1st rounder.
    Ron Artest
    Veteran. Defense. Toughness. Leadership. Bigger role. SF.

To LAL: Luol Deng
    Artest clone, but better numbers across the board. Kobe really likes him.

To CHI:

Leandro Barbosa
    Luke Walton.

Slasher/scorer at the 2 that they covet, can also play point. Finally able to move Deng's large contract. Save big dollars.

Win-Win-Win.
    I like this trade better than the others but I don't see CHI giving up Deng without another SF coming in. Despite his contract, Deng is valued in CHI and is a good player for the team. I actually wouldn't mind Artest here as long as there was another strong veteran to oversee things - Reggie?

All these Artest trades would be a major gamble with a young team. As long as Artest played the tough defense he has in the past, I think he could help a young Raptors team.

***All this is based on him not drinking at halftime like he did in CHI or storming the stands like he did with IND***

Comment

I think the days of Artest being a wreckloose are long gone. Guy is a straight up dude now. All kinds of things he could teach the raps about the value of playing hard, how to play defense, and being a tough but respected bastard.

In terms of not wanting to rid Deng without another SF coming in, they've been trying for a long time now to move Deng. They've got Taj Gibson who can play the 3 no problem. He can't shoot as nearly as well, but he can play tough and in the post. He'd be great to pair with Barbosa and Korver in the backcourt.

Comment

Not only that, but a Gibson-Boozer-Noah front court poses all kinds of match-up issues and they'd likely out-rebound everybody. You'd have to rely on outside shooting to be able to score consistently against them. It also gives Gibson a lot more minutes, which is key for development.

Comment

The deal works financially, but I'm not a fan of acquiring Artest, especially with a young team like ours. If we had a veteran ladened squad, I'd be all for it, but not that this point.

Comment

A young team needs a few quality veterans to show them how to win games, little tricks, the proper attitude, etc. Proper defense in Artest's case. This is especially true when your best player - Bargnani - seems to take the team with him when he gets in a funk. Artest would slap Bargs right quick for even thinking of being lazy. He would be a perfect mentor for Derozan, who has all the skills to become an elite scorer, but Artest can show him how to lockdown his man. He's got the most fight of anybody in the league, along with Reggie Evans. I understand that youth is the way forward, but there are so many intangibles that Artest would bring. His contract isn't that bad either, other than being fairly long.

Comment

Imagine Bayless-Derozan-Artest-Evans-Davis. Would there be a tougher 5-man group in the entirety of the league?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                A young team needs a few quality veterans to show them how to win games, little tricks, the proper attitude, etc. Proper defense in Artest's case. This is especially true when your best player - Bargnani - seems to take the team with him when he gets in a funk. Artest would slap Bargs right quick for even thinking of being lazy. He would be a perfect mentor for Derozan, who has all the skills to become an elite scorer, but Artest can show him how to lockdown his man. He's got the most fight of anybody in the league, along with Reggie Evans. I understand that youth is the way forward, but there are so many intangibles that Artest would bring. His contract isn't that bad either, other than being fairly long.
                Maybe you're looking at Artest in rose coloured glasses. Then again, maybe I'm looking at him with the glass half empty. Artest and leadership don't really belong hand in hand, at least not in my opinion. I don't think he's ever really exemplified it on the court. I think he would do more harm than good. Personally, I wouldn't acquire the guy, but that's just me. What happens if we land Terrence Jones or Harrison Barnes in the draft? Do you think Artest would be happy to sit back and play mentor while he gets 20 mins a night? He's already complaining about his role/minutes on a winner.

Comment

Artest is 31. He's only going to be able to legitimately start for maybe another year. 2 tops. After that he's got to know his role is coming off the bench. I think his issue (if there is one) in LA is the way he's being treated. He would be allowed to play as best he can if he came to TO, which, given his gripes about only being used as a spot up shooter in LA, will probably please him. Plus, in what world is Triano - if he doesn't call out Bargnani for playing like 2 day old shit - going to call out Artest for not playing hard?

If we land a small forward in the draft, it's not like we have a plethora of decent ones to begin with. It's not like we really have any decent ones, to be honest. I'm all for depth.

Also, without Artest becoming clutch in last year's Finals, the Celtics take the Championship. That's on the court leadership.

Comment

Seems so odd that i made a trade similiar to this one, i was just about to post it when i saw yours.
                    Artest is a gamble that im not sure we should take
                    Maybe sending artest to chicago and try to get a young player of theres?
                    Ronnie Brewer maybe?

Comment

Artest in Toronto is a disaster. The man needs to be under the shadow of a strong , respectable coach and a great leader in the locker room. Both elements are missing from Toronto and this would end badly for both side.

Comment

How about trading Calderon for Artest.
                        L.A. gets a great distributor, and a fellow Spaniard to play with Gasol,
                        T.O gets the toughness they haven't had since Oakley.
                        Face it every player that the Raps have brought in for toughness,
                        has gone down to injury. Garbajosa, Evans, Kleiza, just to name a few.
                        They dont make them as tough as Artest anymore, and they way the youngsters
                        like Derozan, and Weems are getting hammered every time they go to the rack,
                        they need someone to have their back.

Comment

Working...
                        X