Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking down Five Plays in the loss of Atlanta (a Tonious35 Production)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down Five Plays in the loss of Atlanta (a Tonious35 Production)

Raptor Fans of the Republic,

I am trying out my new HD capture card on my tower and recorded chunks of our 13th loss IN A ROW to the Dirty Birds.

Besides suffering the pain of our 13th loss in row, let's learn a few things about some NBA fundamentals from the game I recorded.

Please be free to input anymore ideas and I know improvements can be made (I know pausing the video would help but it is so tedious to edit it, until I find the freeze clip option)

I did this video in less than an hour, but it would of been quicker if I searched my 5 plays last night after the game.

Enjoy Raptor Fans.

Last edited by tonious35; Thu Feb 3, 2011, 06:56 PM.

fuck, it sounds good when you say 13th loss when weve played 50 games.

that means we're 37-13. when it's actually the complete opposite which is kind of creepy.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Good stuff, I wish more people would make post-game videos like this.

My only criticism / tip would be to freeze frame when you point something out, so I have time to read / look at what you're pointing out.

Otherwise, gj, hope you make more.

Comment

Corrected, thx dude. I'll try to find the freeze frame feature on my editor or improvise one.

Voice commentary might be possible in the future.
        Last edited by tonious35; Thu Feb 3, 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Great vid. As far as the YMCA defense, its so true. Bargs in the middle loves to guard zones. He is easily lured but when he does provide help defense, it's almost as if he can't decide and is often found in limbo. He does stand around a lot. His recovery on screens ans switches are poor as well. As for Bayless, he needs to fight through screens a lot better than that. Bargs can move up tighter to prevent the guard deeper penetration in that case. Great vid. They watch this in between games. Shocks me it doesn't sink in.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

need more of this type of stuff good job

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
              Raptor Fans of the Republic,

I am trying out my new HD capture card on my tower and recorded chunks of our 13th loss IN A ROW to the Dirty Birds.

Besides suffering the pain of our 13th loss in row, let's learn a few things about some NBA fundamentals from the game I recorded.

Please be free to input anymore ideas and I know improvements can be made (I know pausing the video would help but it is so tedious to edit it, until I find the freeze clip option)

I did this video in less than an hour, but it would of been quicker if I searched my 5 plays last night after the game.

Enjoy Raptor Fans.

1. I remember the first play - that was clearly an unnecessary double, it is a cardinal sin for a big man to get to the side of a post up to double(it is ok for a defensive coach if the opponent scores on a post up through a spin on the side away from the basket(but big man has to help when posting player spins towards the basket) but when it is two times in a row on the same player - you can switch another player on the player posting up).

This is something Mr. Bargs clearly does not know and I believe this too is on the coaching(under an experienced coach a la Nate Mcmillan or Gregg Poppovich, the big man gets benched for some minutes over that mistake).

Lesson to kids learning basketball as big men, you only double when you want to trap an elite player in the corner to show defensive pressure or on a screen of your guard - however it is not really a double per say it is the "showing up" of the big men to cut penetrating lanes to the basket, wings do the double of players often than big men do, big men only "show up" to cut the passing lanes or deny penetration.

Weems also clearly made a mistake funneling Joe Johnson the side away from the basket. A smart wing would always funnel someone on a post up to the middle of the lane or paint where the posting player can meet the big man ready to help at the rim(This has been Manu Ginobili's mode of playing defense - funneling your wing into help, until this year where he has started blocking some shots. Defense is about smartness and basketball IQ too which Mr. Weems clearly "forgets"(note the emphasis) here).

2. The second loss of assignment there was clearly on Jose Calderon - you can clearly see he is not fighting the screen or avoiding it, he just runs into it. The big man on that pick and roll too(Bargs again lol) does not "show up" and a open jumper is allowed(you would think with Bargs playing a long time with Jose, he does not know that Jose does not fight through screens - this is something that should have been ironed out in the training camp early this year(even with the defense tone lol), you also have to know your teammates tendencies to be a good team defender(a problem on the coaching here)).

3. That was well defended there. Things I saw:-
              a. There was no switch whatsoever.
              b. Everybody stayed with their man
              c.There was no unnnecessary help as we are apt to see the Raptors do.

I also have to commend Bargs there(however, we see it is clearly a case of man to man defense which Bargs is decent in, although he gives good post position atimes which is frustrating). It is the opposite of the showing up on a screen, as a big man force your opponent away from the basket and force him to shoot(I also liked the way Bargs gave him the side away from the basket as a bait for Horford lol - there are no skilled centers in the league like before as a running hook or a sky hook would have kept Bargs honest there(if it happened, I would still commend Bargs as it is just a case of better O against good D).

4. That was clearly Bayless fault not much to say there(our PGs never fight through screens, it is an indictment on the coach and another way to counter that is move at the last second away from the screener to get a potential moving screen pick since most big men lack the fundamentals of setting a solid screen this season except Kurt Thomas probably). Bargs showed up there which I liked but he was too slow to recover(he also needs a course on fast recovery, a player he might want to watch his video is Kevin Garnett of the Celtics or Tim Duncan of the Spurs).

5. That is unnecessary doubling from Jose on Horford when Horford got the ball(as a defensive coach, I would be ok with a 15 footer(or long 2s in lay man terms, even if the shots fall, the other team can go on a drought on long 2s, what I will not accept however are points in the paint and the 3 point line). Bargs and DD defended well on that possession(DD gave Joe Johnson some space(which is good as only some wings can pull up for the shot when they have that space, also most likely when they are "feeling it" a la Dwayne Wade) which is clearly an improvement from last season(where he stayed close and got burnt by elite SGs who would drive the ball through DD's hands to get a 3 shot foul - hand down, man down according to Kenny Smith of TNT), Bargs showed up to trap Joe Johnson on the baseline(however, there was no screen there so DD did not really need any help(I would give Bargs the benefit of the doubt here though, as a coach would like to throw baseline traps or full court presses to give the offense different looks which might rattle the offense, he however needs to move a bit closer if he really wanted to make a baseline trap with DD on Joe Johnson)).

Clearly, we have some defensive problems which are inexcusable here:-

1. Our PGs do no fight through screens, they run into them(a solution is to avoid them as long as you are not playing against guys that use screens to get off their shots in the league a la Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton(who are clearly not PGs lol) or shift away from the big man setting the screen at the last second to force a moving pick(happens a lot this season as big men in the league can't set proper picks anymore ***)

2. We have unneccessary doubling from Bargs and Jose(this shows clearly they might be the worst defenders on this team). You do not double on a jump shot(instead if the player is going to get in the paint, set up as a wing or PG to take a charge) and a post-up(no solution here, as it is a cardinal sin).

3. Our wings give the side away from the basket to opposite wings on a post up(the solution is to give the side towards the basket to the player posting up - a bait to go into the paint where your big man can challenge the shot or take a charge or you as a small can take the charge yourself if you have the angle).

4. Our bigs do not show up on a screen and recover quickly enough(a big has to show up on a screen especially if you have guards that don't fight through picks to prevent a jumpshot or a direct lane to the basket for the opposing guard to cause havoc(Bosh of Miami Heat, Garnett of the Boston Celtics and Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs all show up on screens(which means it is the right thing to do), the recovery of our big men is slow too(have a look at Garnett's recovery after showing up) which is an indictment of our training regimens and conditioning in training camp(anybody remember our players running out of gas in the training camp this year?, rings a bell, doesn't it?)).

Thanks for the short video tonious(I wish this video could be sent to triano to see some mistakes that we often make on the defensive end). Keep the videos coming, tonious.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                Great vid. As far as the YMCA defense, its so true. Bargs in the middle loves to guard zones. He is easily lured but when he does provide help defense, it's almost as if he can't decide and is often found in limbo. He does stand around a lot. His recovery on screens ans switches are poor as well. As for Bayless, he needs to fight through screens a lot better than that. Bargs can move up tighter to prevent the guard deeper penetration in that case. Great vid. They watch this in between games. Shocks me it doesn't sink in.
                What I said too - great minds think alike lol. . My view about it is some posts away, I want to know what you guys think about it.

Comment

It was an unneeded double, but just for fun watch that first example again and watch José when he's coming through the paint motion to andrea, not to excuse Barg's judgment, but clearly between Jose, Bargs and Amir someone's thought someone was going to do something different there.
                  The one and only

Comment

Working...
                  X