Cleveland and New Orleans and some scheming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland and New Orleans and some scheming

Jumping on the Jamison to New Orleans stuff (via ESPN); it's a little convoluted because Bargs HAS to go to New Orleans first (so they can match salaries) but I think it works:

Bargs
    FOR
    New Orleans TPE

then

NO: Antwan Jamison (they may also want cash)
    TO: Varejao (and a guy like Gee if roster space has to open up)
    CL: Bargs, Banks, Barbosa & Miami 2011 1st
    Mix and match draft picks and cash as needed

- New Orleans gets the guy they want and defrays their costs by dumping Banks. They will probably want some cash as well.

- Toronto gets Varejao to match with Johnson, Davis et al when he (Varejao) is healthy again (next year)

- Cleveland picks up a 5 year (Bargs) but dumps a 5 year (Varejao) as well - not a great trade-off for them that way but they do have to remake that team regardless so maybe they are interested. As well, they pick up a draft pick and drop a year from Jamison's deal (which is a LOT of coin). Finally, Barbosa is a guy they can probably flip for other assets.

I don't see why we should do this trade. We lose Barbosa, our pick and Bargnani for Varejao...

Comment

Barbosa is gone after this year anyways.

Miami's pick is going to be in the 27-30 range.

Varejao has the quality of character this team should secure, plays with energy like we want, is a top-end defensive presence at C, saves the team $7 million in salary over the life of the contract and has a TO in the last year allowing an early opt out.

Kind of a no-brainer in my mind.

Comment

YKOil wrote: View Post
        Barbosa is gone after this year anyways.

Miami's pick is going to be in the 27-30 range.

Varejao has the quality of character this team should secure, plays with energy like we want, is a top-end defensive presence at C, saves the team $7 million in salary over the life of the contract and has a TO in the last year allowing an early opt out.

Kind of a no-brainer in my mind.
        Actually, Barbosa will most likely stick with his player option because of the looming lockout. Also, quite a number of teams like Barbosa too.

If it's so unimportant, why include it?

So getting Varejao, for Bargnani who is a better offensive player, younger but is a far worse defender, our pick and Barbosa doesn't look like a no-brainer to me. I'd have to think hard before even considering a Bargnani for Varejao deal.

Comment

If this we to happen, we would be the worst offensive team in the history of basketball.
          "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Really DK? Varejao's game is based on scoring around the basket and he is much more efficient than Bargs. Better pure point rating too. No perimeter game sure but the Raps aren't in need of more perimeter game (better yes - more no). Also - would Bargs get the points he does if he were getting half the usage rate? I don't think your comment holds water.

JP's point on Barbosa does though. I forgot about that 2nd year. Barbosa is in there because the salary needs to be there for the trade to work. Maybe Evans salary would be enough but I'm not too sure about that. Also, to acknowledge a broader point from JP, both Barbosa and Evans could demand fairly significant trade assets on their own - I don't know if they do but they could.

So maybe it looks more like this:

NO: Antwan Jamison and cash
            TO: Varejao, Gee (or 'Gee' like), Cleveland 2012 2nd and Minnesota 2013 2nd
            CL: Bargs, Banks, Barbosa & Miami 2011 1st

Might be too much from Cleveland's end now (both those 2nd's are high value imo) but better value for TO now. Of course, the Cleveland 2011 2nd would be nice but I don't see Cleveland giving that up.

Comment

oh cmon this trade seriously sucks.(from the raptors standpoint).
              Bargs is not that crappy and him alone is better than varejao.By far.

Comment

I don't understand why someone wants to pay Anderson Varejao 10 million a season to do a job that any hustle garbage man in the NBA does for 6 million.

Caveliaers over paied him alot and they will regret this desicion in future. Plus, we already have Amir for that role in our team.

Comment

If I'm gonna trade Bargnani, I would want the Jamison expiring coming back. I want no part of Varejao..and there's no way we'd include the Miami 1st to part with Bargnani and Barbosa.

Comment

Working...
                  X