Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who will become who?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    if this thread gets all bundled up with other threads, its your fault! hahahaha bargs is king!
    Dayummmmm!

King Bargs baby! Prince Dero! Lets get it!

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If by king you mean like the king in chess: slow and weak, totally incapable of defending itself, and yet for some reason the centrepiece of your team, requiring - if necessary - the sacrifice of all other pieces so as to ensure it's survival, then yeah, for sure. Bargs is King.

Also, if basketball were like chess, Derozan would be a Bishop: an excellent slasher and deadly if given space, capable of getting from end to end extremely quickly, though pretty one dimensional and marginal as a defensive piece. If given the extra dimension, it would become a Queen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    If by king you mean like the king in chess: slow and weak, totally incapable of defending itself, and yet for some reason the centrepiece of your team, requiring - if necessary - the sacrifice of all other pieces so as to ensure it's survival, then yeah, for sure. Bargs is King.

Also, if basketball were like chess, Derozan would be a Bishop: an excellent slasher and deadly if given space, capable of getting from end to end extremely quickly, though pretty one dimensional and marginal as a defensive piece. If given the extra dimension, it would become a Queen.
    Yo son you just called Demar a Queen!

King Bargs!

Barbo the Knight!

Ed Davis "The Rook"

JT- the battycrease!

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

without a king, a bishop is just a kooky witchdoctor and a queen is just a ho.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

all i can say is wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Barbosa is a bunch of pawns: way more important than you think they are. Often the key to victory.

Amir and Davis are Knights. Surprising on defense and offense, as they gets at their opponent from around the corner. Can be frustrating if used improperly due to their odd moves. Most valuable piece next to the Queen.

Reggie is the Rook. Not as good as you wish it was, nor think it is, but devastating when used properly. Often it's most important move is to Castle and protect the King.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

"Barbosa is a bunch of pawns"

Jeff, do you mind if I put that in my RR signature?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be honoured.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be honoured.
    Done!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it'd be awesome if the real jeff hostetler actually came out and said that

doubly awesome if he still has the Magnum PI stache

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    it'd be awesome if the real jeff hostetler actually came out and said that

doubly awesome if he still has the Magnum PI stache
    Ha! Excellent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Excellent.
    For the record, I'm a huge Barbo fan, but come on: "Barbosa is a bunch of pawns", that just sounds so dope. Well done J to the H

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    For the record, I'm a huge Barbo fan, but come on: "Barbosa is a bunch of pawns", that just sounds so dope. Well done J to the H
    hey i started the thread dont i get credit???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

hey i started the thread dont i get credit???
    Sorry bro, good thread too, but also, "Barbosa is a bunch of pawns" , come on, that sounds sweet.

You gotta come up with some sweet catchline too tbihis (Ps, what does that mean?)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the current Raps, which superstar/legend do you think each Raptor can potentially be compared to at the peak of their careers?

and please no mushy BS like "they should be their own man" or "they can never be superstars, all-stars" crap. just play the game.

Demar - Ray Allen. No problem scoring but cannot put up other stats.
    Bargs - Rik Smits. Can score but not a good rebounder for a big man.
    Amir - Antonio Davis. grit and hustle. not a double digit scorer but decent rebounder.
    E. Davis - potentially, and ill say it again, potentially, maybe Kevin Garnett. Knows his way around the basket, good shotblocker and rebounder.
    Bayless - Barbosa.
    Calderon - Mark Price. good FT shooter, good 3PT shooter. can score but not much, can pass but not not a double-digit ast player.

Your thoughts?
    Ray Allen is a great shooter. DeMar is getting to be a better shooter, but he'll never be Ray Allen. Richard Hamilton might be a better comparison. And DeMar is already starting to rebound and defend better, so I wouldn't write him off.

Rik Smits was a FAR better rebounder than Bargnani ever was, and Bargnani a better scorer than Smits. Take a look at Smit's per 36 rebounding numbers. He was actually decent, he just didn't play enough minutes. And Smits was also a pretty good defender. I don't see a good comparison for Bargnani- a good scoring big man who literally can't do anything else. Generally those types of guys simply don't get the minutes to make much of an impact. If push came to shove, I might say Brad Sellers. He was a big man who could shoot from outside, but didn't like to do any dirty work.

Antonio Davis was a poor offensive player. Amir is not. Someone mentioned Horace Grant somewhere and I agree that's probably the best comparison. Obviously that's on the high end.

Garnett was a good offensive player coming in, even in high school. And Garnett had amazing lateral quickness. Defensively, he was basically a guard in a big man's body, which is what made him a complete freak of nature. Garnett was a decent, but never great shotblocker, despite length and athletic ability. Alonzo Mourning is the only player that I can think of that is really similar, but Alonzo was a much better scorer coming into the league.

Calderon and Price are both good shooter and are both white. But Price was incredibly quick before his knee injury. Calderon never has been. And I'm not sure why you say Calderon isn't a double digit assist player. Have you seen his stats since Jack was traded?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar is going to be the next Vince carter lol

Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar Derozan - Vince Carter (Dream Scenario - Kobe Bryant)
    Jerryd Bayless - Monta Ellis (Dream Scenario - Allen Iverson)
    Sonny Weems - Richard Jefferson (Dream Scenario - Tracy McGrady)
    Amir Johnson - Dennis Rodman (Dream Scenario - Kevin Garnett)
    Andrea Bargnani - Rafael Araujoe (Dream Scenario - Dirk Nowitzki)

Jose Calderon - Steve Nash (Dream Scenario - Steve Nash)

Post Thanks / Like

Amir Johnson - Dennis Rodman??? D-Rod averaged around 15rpg in his career, numbers I doubt AJ will ever see... that being said, AJ is a much better offensive player at 23 than D-Rod ever was.

AJ = more athletic P.J. Brown

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote AJ360 wrote: View Post
    Amir Johnson - Dennis Rodman??? D-Rod averaged around 15rpg in his career, numbers I doubt AJ will ever see... that being said, AJ is a much better offensive player at 23 than D-Rod ever was.

AJ = more athletic P.J. Brown
    Good compare including tenacity and character. In my opinion AJ at this point is a superb 2nd unit player...which PJ also mostly always was. But has more upside.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information