Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

Post Thanks / Like

sorry upper tier talent, not top. while depending on the package.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to make it clear, Jays tried to pursue Oswalt but he said he wasn't going to sign with the Jays. I'm not sure how worried I would be about Cecil topping out at 88.. It's early in the spring, give it a month and see where he's at. Dude's been working hard, lost like 30-40 lbs in the offseason.

In other news, Snider appears to be ahead of Thames for the left field spot, he's great in the field and he's been hitting decently. Been saying it for years, but it'd be great for him to get on track.. He has talent.

Post Thanks / Like

last i heard thames was ahead of snider.

and the jkays porbably wopuldn't give oswalt near what he wanted because anthopolous is a fuckhead.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's rumoured Oswalt won't sign til mid season.. I know earlier in offseason he was saying he wouldn't sign with A's or Jays when they were looking at him, apparently he wanted to be close to his home.. But now he's open to any team. I'd say we look into him, he could definitely help, but he does want to be a starter so I don't know really.. Maybe if he's still available later in the season, but I'd rather see what we have now, since McGowan is out of options and I wanna see how Cecil does, Alvarez is a lock pretty much unless he struggles as bad as Drabek did, which isn't likely.

With the Snider situation though, I really can't see Thames being ahead of Snider. Snider is a much better fielder with 3 outfield assists already, and is leading the team with 12 RBI's.. He's coming up in key situations, that's worth some points, also 3 hrs to Thames 1, Snider is owning in OPS and slugging percentage as well, and they're close in average and OBP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    With the Snider situation though, I really can't see Thames being ahead of Snider. Snider is a much better fielder with 3 outfield assists already, and is leading the team with 12 RBI's.. He's coming up in key situations, that's worth some points, also 3 hrs to Thames 1, Snider is owning in OPS and slugging percentage as well, and they're close in average and OBP.
    I don't think the Jays are viewing this as a horserace in spring training. They've said repeatedly that Thames is the incumbent and has the lead for the job. AA has also said that they are leery of spring training stats for a lot of reasons (as well they should be). Apparently, Snider has made some adjustments to his swing mechanics that are helping him have good ABs. He's always been the better defender (Thames is just awful in the field). But I don't think that changes anything. Personally, I'd give Snider the job for the year and see what he does with 500+ABs but it sure doesn't sound like Toronto is thinking that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I totally get your point, but I really don't think anyone can say Snider's been given a fair shake, up and down for the last 4 years.. I think he should be given the opportunity to start every day, he has much more upside than Thames. I think Snider has the potential that everyone thinks Rasmus has, so why shouldn't he be given a shot as well. I think this is his last year with the Jays if he doesn't make it, or if he doesn't do well, so why not give him a shot? Thames is probably as good as he'll ever be, and on a winning team he's a 4th outfielder, so if Jays are serious about winning they should take that into consideration, cus Snider definitely could become an everyday left fielder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I don't think the Jays are viewing this as a horserace in spring training. They've said repeatedly that Thames is the incumbent and has the lead for the job. AA has also said that they are leery of spring training stats for a lot of reasons (as well they should be). Apparently, Snider has made some adjustments to his swing mechanics that are helping him have good ABs. He's always been the better defender (Thames is just awful in the field). But I don't think that changes anything. Personally, I'd give Snider the job for the year and see what he does with 500+ABs but it sure doesn't sound like Toronto is thinking that way.
    you must have missed that game at fenway. guy aint awful by no means in the field. i agree he's below average, but not awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Opening Day just a few days away and nothing on the board. Extra wildcard, Drabek in the rotation, Cecil throwing a blistering 86mh fastball and getting hammered again today, McGowan's extension, Lawrie looking awesome, Adam "best shape of mah life bro = argh, mah back!" Lind still somehow with the Jays cause Rogers is cheap, Morrow looking like he's figured it out, tonnes of great talent going to high-A ball and AA.

Will the Jays play meaningful baseball in September? I say yes. Discuss...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have too much time to get into it but I am optimistic that the Jays will be in the race for that added wildcard spot come September.

LET'S GO JAYS!!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Opening Day just a few days away and nothing on the board. Extra wildcard, Drabek in the rotation, Cecil throwing a blistering 86mh fastball and getting hammered again today, McGowan's extension, Lawrie looking awesome, Adam "best shape of mah life bro = argh, mah back!" Lind still somehow with the Jays cause Rogers is cheap, Morrow looking like he's figured it out, tonnes of great talent going to high-A ball and AA.

Will the Jays play meaningful baseball in September? I say yes. Discuss...
    You beat me to the punch! I was going to ask if anyone had any predictions on where they'll finish this season...

I'm gonna say they win 88-90(barring any major injuries), but they'll fall just short of the extra wildcard unfortunately.

It's all about the starting pitching to me. Romero and Morrow should be solid at the top of the rotation, but then who really knows what we're gonna get from Cecil, Drabek, and Alvarez. I doubt McGowan will ever return to the pitcher he was a few years ago(seems like forever!), so that's a pretty big question mark too.

It's going to be a blast watching Lawrie for a full season with the big club. Let's just hope his bat from last year returns this year in the same way.

This will be the first year in about 10 years where I haven't been at the home opener or the second home game, but I am looking forward to going down next Friday vs Baltimore!

Here's to an exciting and injury free season!

Post Thanks / Like

4th place, 85 wins. I'd put Boston around 88-90, and the Yanks/Rays around 93. Those 4 teams are going to beat the crap out of each other but I still think Yanks/Rays get in. Angels/Rangers out West. And the mediocre Tigers win their crappy division.

The rotation question marks already have started with Cecil back to AA. Not that surprising but the lack of depth this organization used to have with pitchers is catching up. Lots of great arms are on the way... in two or three years. Going to need Drabek and Alvarez to pitch well. Need McGowan healthy. Still, the lineup is really good. Only big issues are Lind and Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love my Jays, they won't make the playoffs this season. They need more stability in the rotation and one more masher in the lineup to protect Bautista. Looking at 86-88 wins and just finishing outside of that second wildcard spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Home opener tonight! Jays are taking it 7-5 and Lawrie will smash his first long ball. Book it.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, what a buzzkill tonight. I know Santos will be fine, but maybe Farrell should look at interchanging Santos and Cordero just for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

And there's no way they should hav lost to Boston tonight. Boston's not that same team.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrible ending last night. Santos looks horrible at the moment. Didn't finish off spring ball that well either. Your right Mango, they should consider swapping Cordero for Santos right now until his confidence is back.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was a little off with my prediction.

No more predictions.

Is it going to be the same old bullshit from last year? Blowing save after save, after save? Sigh. It's so deflating to the team/fans to lose like that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 4 games in and you guys already want to switch closers? 162 games, guys. 162 games. Santos was clearly overthrowing last night. The first game he had a pitch that is usually popped up go out. If it starts happening on a regular basis then you have an issue.

Some timely hitting last night would have helped, too. Bats are clearly still a step behind...

Post Thanks / Like

i said santos aint nothin special and 2 saves or should i say lack there of, in, it holds true.

why the fuck joel carreno was in the rotation and not villanueva is beyond me.

we may have a better overall bullpen than last year. but, i don't think we have a better closer. thankfully, we picked up coco.

I would have already changed closers as of today, but, if he blows another before saving 2. swap him for coco or jannsen.

I would be saying we could have signed Madson, but, then we'd be even more fucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    i said santos aint nothin special and 2 saves or should i say lack there of, in, it holds true.

why the fuck joel carreno was in the rotation and not villanueva is beyond me.

we may have a better overall bullpen than last year. but, i don't think we have a better closer. thankfully, we picked up coco.
    Yes, well, let's completely discount his past two seasons and his terrific stuff cause he's overthrowing - after 2 games. Not like you should cut players any slack at all out of spring training. Maybe they should send down Lawrie cause he's striking out too much or move Escobar to AAA cause he's starting slow. You know, if Arencibia had made a play or two or Bautista didn't two-hop a throw from 15-feet past first base, the game would have been tied. But, yeah, we need a scapegoat, so let's crap all over the mystical "closer" rather than the lineup that couldn't get a run off a 30-year old garbage reliever throwing 85mph.

Carreno made a spot start cause: they are turning him into a starter, he was fucking fantastic last year for the Jays, they don't want to screw with Villanueva, Carreno can go into the bullpen as an extra arm and, who cares cause he's only making one bloody start. It's like people think this is a 12-game season.... Jebus. Little perspective would be nice.

Thread Information