Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 833

Thread: The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  1. #521
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Good number actually as well. There was speculation he'd only be happy with 2/$28-30M.

    And ya, that Rotation is SICK, WICKED and NASTY.
    As I keep trying to tell the excuse makers - "wahh! No one will sign in Toronto! Waaah! No one will come to Toronto cause it's Canadian! Waaaah" - if you actually build a good team you can get guys to sign and.... they won't even charge a premium.

    I'd wager a hefty sum Dickey says he made the deal at $25 cause he wants to win. Novel idea.

    EDIT: Also, this is how you WIN NOW! Not by doing small, isolated deals and trying to nurture young players at the same time. Doesn't work. You are either rebuilding or you go for it. Colangelo, take notes....

  2. #522
    Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MTL, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Deal's official. 3 yrs at 29m, not 2.. Pretty good deal, here's to him staying healthy.

    Toronto officially acquired Dickey, catcher Josh Thole and Minor League catcher Mike Nickeas in the seven-player trade that was announced Monday evening. The Mets received top catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud, right-hander Noah Syndergaard, catcher John Buck and Minor Leaguer Wuilmer Becerra.

    The two teams came to terms over the weekend, but the deal was contingent on the Blue Jays and Dickey being able to agree to an extension. That happened Monday morning, when Toronto tore up the final year of Dickey's contract and signed him to a three-year contract valued at $29 million plus a club option worth $12 million in 2016.
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

  3. #523
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    Deal's official. 3 yrs at 29m, not 2.. Pretty good deal, here's to him staying healthy.



    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor
    WOW ... Well he was set to make $5M this year, but they "tore up the final year of his deal, and signed him to a 3-year $29M" ... If I understand everything correctly, which I think I do, thats actually LESS than the reported $25M .. technically. The $25M plus the $5M he's set to make would earn him $30M over 3 years.
    AA you've done it again.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  4. #524
    Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MTL, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah I think it's a good deal for AA but I don't necessarily think he should make the money Halladay makes because he's older and he's only had 3 good years so far, I'm not saying he won't keep it up but I think that's a pretty good reason not to give him 15M+ a year which is why I think he accepted less.

  5. #525
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are you sure its not including the whole contract?

    Because if it was a 2 yr extensionworth 24 and then this year at 5 mil is 29 over 3.

    Whatever, i dont give a fuck about what they're paying him. This guy is a winner!

    Boston is looking like are best competition. But, I think we're better than them.

    They have made some decent moves, though.

    T-Bay lost three of their top five players! Those prospects they got back aren't going to be good this year.

    The Yankees are a year older and are looking at acquiring old V-Dubs. We should be able to run all over them.

    Baltimore is hit or miss. They are really a wild card.

  6. #526
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    Yeah I think it's a good deal for AA but I don't necessarily think he should make the money Halladay makes because he's older and he's only had 3 good years so far, I'm not saying he won't keep it up but I think that's a pretty good reason not to give him 15M+ a year which is why I think he accepted less.
    I guess he's really content with just wanting to win because even though he is a knuckle baller. This three year deal could be his swan song.

    He'll be 41 when it ends.

  7. #527
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So funny how ESPN is now spinning the trade as a "No-Brainer" for the Mets.

    Experts widely label the trade a no-brainer for Alderson -- similar to Carlos Beltran for right-hander Zack Wheeler in July 2011. The Mets likely are to finish in fourth or fifth place with or without Dickey next season. And they obtained d'Arnaud and the Class A right-hander Syndergaard -- both highly regarded prospects, whom the organization will control for six full years apiece in the majors.

    "If you polled the 30 current GMs and asked them if they would trade Carlos Beltran and R.A. Dickey for the three players the Mets received, it's safe to say all 30 would agree with the Mets' strategy," an NL executive said.
    Source
    And yes .. they compare D'Arnaud to Piazza in this article.
    Guess New York fans need to be happy about it before anyone else can be.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  8. #528
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its the best offer they could get.

    Anyways,Vegas 8-1, wooh!

  9. #529
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can't wait for opening day. R.A. for opening day starter!

  10. #530
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    So funny how ESPN is now spinning the trade as a "No-Brainer" for the Mets.

    And yes .. they compare D'Arnaud to Piazza in this article.
    Guess New York fans need to be happy about it before anyone else can be.
    It was a no-brainer for the Mets. They aren't competing anytime soon even with Dickey and they get one of the top two catching prospects in baseball and one of the top arms at A ball last year.

    For the Jays it makes sense cause they need to win RIGHT NOW. But don't be fooled, the Jays gave up enormous value in this deal.

  11. #531
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    It was a no-brainer for the Mets. They aren't competing anytime soon even with Dickey and they get one of the top two catching prospects in baseball and one of the top arms at A ball last year.

    For the Jays it makes sense cause they need to win RIGHT NOW. But don't be fooled, the Jays gave up enormous value in this deal.
    Agree. The trade was not a typical AA kind of trade. The usually frugal Alex allowed himself to get ripped off 'cause it was worth it. An absolute no-brainer for the Mets.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  12. #532
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I disagree. It's not every day that you get to trade for a Cy Young winner in the MLB, especially one making relatively little like Dickey. AA had his window of opportunity and he took advantage of it, even if he did overpay a little.

  13. #533
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This guy is a class act. I wish more athletes reacted as normal human beings would:
    "I think it's important for me to grieve leaving New York," he said Tuesday. "I had a proverbial home there. I had a home among fans. I had a home in an organization. I had a lot of success there, and I think it's important for me to be sad about that for a moment before I move on to the next feeling."

    Or on how he felt regret over discussing the situation with the media:
    "I must admit to you and repent the timing because I feel badly about using a time such as that to become emotional, and I want to apologize for that because that wasn't the venue necessarily to do that," he said.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  14. #534
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    The usually frugal Alex allowed himself to get ripped off 'cause it was worth it. An absolute no-brainer for the Mets.
    Disagree. Not sure how you figure getting the reigning Cy Young winner for a Prospect is "ripped off".
    Proven talent over Unproven talent any day of the week for me. Not to mention D'Arnauds recent Injuries to his knees. For a catcher that could be devestating.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  15. #535
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Disagree. Not sure how you figure getting the reigning Cy Young winner for a Prospect is "ripped off".
    Hickey for a prospect, even though he's the top catching prospect is not a rip-off. Hickey for two prospects, both very good ones is a rip-off. Don't get me wrong cause I agree with the trade. AA who I admire a lot, always deals for good value while being very careful about what he gives up. He didn't mind giving up more than he'd normally give up 'cause he see's good reason for it which of course is a possible championship. IMO.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  16. #536
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its not a "rip-off" in any sense of the word.

    The guy just won the Cy fucking Young! His market value is 15 million a fucking year, we got him for far less.

    How the fuck you figure that giving up two minor-leaguers for the cy young winner is getting ripped off is beyond.

    You know what youre getting with Dickey and youre getting it immediately. You dont know what youre getting from these prospects and it's likely going to be shit for half the season, if not longer.

    Plus, the chances of the prospects being hurt is higher than a veteran, who knows how to maintain from the wear n tear of the season.

    Also, there is nowhere to play them. The syndergaard guy isnt going to be on the mound much and D'Arnaud would not be catching over Arencibia and Thole. He'd be battling for the backup 1st basemen.

    The likeliness of them seeing significant time was slim. They had to be moved. It's unfair to keep them.

    Plus,when you make a move like the miami trade. There is no looking back, you can't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal that helps your team in the now. No prospect is off limits,no up and comer is off limits.

    If you see a trade that can significantly improve your team, there can be no hesitation on your part.

    No guts, no glory!

  17. #537
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Its not a "rip-off" in any sense of the word.

    The guy just won the Cy fucking Young! His market value is 15 million a fucking year, we got him for far less.

    How the fuck you figure that giving up two minor-leaguers for the cy young winner is getting ripped off is beyond.

    You know what youre getting with Dickey and youre getting it immediately. You dont know what youre getting from these prospects and it's likely going to be shit for half the season, if not longer.

    Plus, the chances of the prospects being hurt is higher than a veteran, who knows how to maintain from the wear n tear of the season.

    Also, there is nowhere to play them. The syndergaard guy isnt going to be on the mound much and D'Arnaud would not be catching over Arencibia and Thole. He'd be battling for the backup 1st basemen.

    The likeliness of them seeing significant time was slim. They had to be moved. It's unfair to keep them.

    Plus,when you make a move like the miami trade. There is no looking back, you can't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal that helps your team in the now. No prospect is off limits,no up and comer is off limits.

    If you see a trade that can significantly improve your team, there can be no hesitation on your part.

    No guts, no glory!
    I'll sign off on this. Completely agree.
    I may not have used the F-word quite so enthusiastically, but I can't disagree with a single word in this.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  18. #538
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post

    No guts, no glory!
    I like that line. If that was Alex' position, sure I agree. I just call it a 'gamble that was worth taking'.

    The reason I call it a rip-off is 'cause under normal circumstances Travis D'Anaud and N Syndergaard for R A Dickey is a trade that a GM would not even consider leave alone make. For example, around this time last year AA would not have even considered making this trade even if Dickey was a Cy Young winner(hypothetically). This year though and FOR GOOD REASON, he sees Dickey as the missing piece who can help take us over the hump, so to speak.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  19. #539
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    I like that line. If that was Alex' position, sure I agree. I just call it a 'gamble that was worth taking'.

    The reason I call it a rip-off is 'cause under normal circumstances Travis D'Anaud and N Syndergaard for R A Dickey is a trade that a GM would not even consider leave alone make. For example, around this time last year AA would not have even considered making this trade even if Dickey was a Cy Young winner(hypothetically). This year though and FOR GOOD REASON, he sees Dickey as the missing piece who can help take us over the hump, so to speak.
    In isolation, the Dickey deal would not have happened. It looks like KC trading for Shields.

    In the Jays case, however, it makes sense cause Dickey (even a Dickey that regresses) is worth 3-4 wins and those 3-4 wins take a 90-win team to 93-94, which probably gets you in the playoffs. If you get Cy Young Dickey, you can add a couple more wins.

    I think we are so used to seeing AA get great value in his deals (e.g. the Marlins trade), that when he has to give up equal value, we are all stunned.

  20. #540
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The knuckleball is magic, check out this wobble:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •