Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 957

Thread: The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  1. #741
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It just justifies that the Jays suck.

    Doesn't look good on our part, at least he praised MLSE for letting him take the job.

  2. #742
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    It just justifies that the Jays suck.

    Doesn't look good on our part, at least he praised MLSE for letting him take the job.
    With the Jays roster last year being significantly better ON PAPER than Boston, who's to say that Farrell couldn't have managed US to that Championship. In hindsight, Gibby was a terrible hire though.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  3. #743
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ahhh common. MLB is just as much a players league as is the NBA. The Red Sox performed, and the Jays didn't. Farrell shouldn't be thought of as the God that Boston faithful makes him out to be, and Gibby shouldn't be held as the culprit for a bunch of underperforming verterans.

  4. #744
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ortiz and Victorino were the only guys performing.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #745
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    With the Jays roster last year being significantly better ON PAPER than Boston, who's to say that Farrell couldn't have managed US to that Championship. In hindsight, Gibby was a terrible hire though.
    Farrell only acquired his magical powers when Lester, Lackey and Buckholz all had bounce-back years and the GM acquired a series of solid veteran players to fill in holes. I'm sure Farrell's acquisition of his magical powers to "win games" and all of the other positives in the Boston lineup were entirely coincidental.

    Gibbons was a terrible hire based on..... what exactly? That Josh Johnson, Rickey Romero, Brandon Morrow and Happ all contributed nothing to the starting rotation? Clearly, that was Gibbons' fault. He should have used his manager magic to keep them all healthy and effective.... or turn Chad Jenkins into Justin Verlander.

  6. Like wallz liked this post
  7. #746
    Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MTL, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I watched the majority of the World Series against the cards and their hitting was honestly weak... 6-9 spots filled with rookies and guys who shouldn't be playing on a World Series team. Ortiz powered the team again, I think that'll go down as one of the best world series performances of all time.... No one could touch him. Victarino stepped up pretty big, Pedroia had some timely hits as well As Ellsbury, and surprisingly David Ross.. It really highlights the importance of pitching more than anything though.

    Also, as bad as Josh Johnson was for the Jays, he has legit stuff.. Surprised they let him just walk. Basically admitting failure on that trade and taking an L. I think Colangelo could have learned a few things from Anthopoulos but if we don't go after someone just as good I'll be disappointed, Josh Johnson is a legit number 2 guy and I believe this season was clearly an outlier.

    With Gibbons I just wish he had more passion and held guys more accountable. It could be argued he was brought in to have that relaxed approach and to let guys play because it appeared we had a pretty mature lineup and pitching staff with some key veterans, but once injuries hit and guys under performed and we had a new spot starter every week we had no one stepping up with a game plan, there was no unified voice and message being sent out to help right the ship so to speak. We gave up. There's no arguing that, and to me, that's on the manager.

  8. #747
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ya, I would have picked up Johnson. It was a lot of money, but it was one year. If he continued sucking, you could flip him as he's an expiring.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  9. #748
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Ya, I would have picked up Johnson. It was a lot of money, but it was one year. If he continued sucking, you could flip him as he's an expiring.
    Not picking up Johnsons option does not mean he's not coming back. I agree with AA's decision not to pick up the option but I would like to see Johnson back at maybe 1 year, 5 mil.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  10. #749
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jays trade Bautista to Phillies for Dominic Brown and pieces? ... Interesting.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  11. #750
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Jays trade Bautista to Phillies for Dominic Brown and pieces? ... Interesting.
    Regardless if its to Philly or not, the time is right to move Jose. He's injury prone and starting the tail end of his career now. We're definitely not selling high, but perhaps the next best stage to that. Right now moving him to acquire a young solid player in Brown and perhaps a decent arm would be an upgrade for this sad franchise. JMO

  12. Like Joey liked this post
  13. #751
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Jays trade Bautista to Phillies for Dominic Brown and pieces? ... Interesting.
    If this is true, there must be much more to the deal. The rumoured Bautista for Brown and pieces favours Philly heavily.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  14. #752
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    If this is true, there must be much more to the deal. The rumoured Bautista for Brown and pieces favours Philly heavily.
    Its hard to find any good information on the deal just yet, but I have to imagine AA is getting a good deal; as a straight up I completely agree with you though. But Jose is injury prone and 7 years older than Brown. If Brown continues to show improvement, he could be the next Jose / Edwin.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  15. #753
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Regardless if its to Philly or not, the time is right to move Jose. He's injury prone and starting the tail end of his career now. We're definitely not selling high, but perhaps the next best stage to that. Right now moving him to acquire a young solid player in Brown and perhaps a decent arm would be an upgrade for this sad franchise. JMO
    Completely agree. This is the last off-season Jose will have any trade value if he gets injured again.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  16. #754
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kinsler to Detroit for Fielder..could of been the Jays
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  17. #755
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Kinsler to Detroit for Fielder..could of been the Jays
    I like Kinsler but at 62 mil. for the next 4 years, he may be expensive. They'll probably try to fill the hole at 2nd base. If not, Ryan Goins is perfectly capable of handling 2nd base duties. He overachieved offensively and might not repeat but very few can match his defensive skills.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  18. #756
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    I like Kinsler but at 62 mil. for the next 4 years, he may be expensive. They'll probably try to fill the hole at 2nd base. If not, Ryan Goins is perfectly capable of handling 2nd base duties. He overachieved offensively and might not repeat but very few can match his defensive skills.
    I hope so. You've gotta think last year was the perfect Shit Storm for this team. From the previous season's pitching injuries carrying over to this year, to this years starting staff crumbling in the same way in a sense. The WBC effecting the team from Spring Training, early season injuries to key guys like Lawrie and more importantly Reyes. Ugh, most frustrating season I've seen from a team I love with so much talent since the '08 Dallas Cowboys... Romero and Josh Johnson were barely even shells of their former selves.

    I don't know what's going to happen in the off-season, but I'm definitely going into this next season with a jaded sense of all teams Toronto lol... We always have such high hopes, and a lot of the time us fans fall for the bullshit management gives us. I stopped that with the Leafs back in the 90's, been trying to do it with the Raps the last couple seasons, and now I will attempt with the Jays. When I don't have fun watching my teams on TV anymore, I know I've went too far. I just try to take it for what it is these days... entertainment on my TV.

    /rant over
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  19. #757
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    I like Kinsler but at 62 mil. for the next 4 years, he may be expensive. They'll probably try to fill the hole at 2nd base. If not, Ryan Goins is perfectly capable of handling 2nd base duties. He overachieved offensively and might not repeat but very few can match his defensive skills.

    I don't give a fuck about the money. All I care about is proven all-star caliber talent. Rogers is rich as fuck, money should not be an issue.

    And that's the typical crap that us fans get sold on every year, guys like Ryan Goins. I don't want someone adequate, I want a bonafide star!

    THe Jays are one of those teams that are always waiting for the pins to drop before they make their moves. It's time they start being one of those teams that makes the pins drop, not the team that waits.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  20. #758
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I don't give a fuck about the money. All I care about is proven all-star caliber talent. Rogers is rich as fuck, money should not be an issue.

    And that's the typical crap that us fans get sold on every year, guys like Ryan Goins. I don't want someone adequate, I want a bonafide star!

    THe Jays are one of those teams that are always waiting for the pins to drop before they make their moves. It's time they start being one of those teams that makes the pins drop, not the team that waits.
    Dude, what are you talking about? Does your memory go back as far as 12 months? Holy hell.

    As for the specific deal, Kinsler was never a realistic option in Toronto cause the Jays weren't moving Bautista or EE for a declining Kinsler. Give your head a shake.... It's a salary dump by Detroit so they can extend Scherzer and eventually Cabrera.

  21. #759
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Dude, what are you talking about? Does your memory go back as far as 12 months? Holy hell.

    As for the specific deal, Kinsler was never a realistic option in Toronto cause the Jays weren't moving Bautista or EE for a declining Kinsler. Give your head a shake.... It's a salary dump by Detroit so they can extend Scherzer and eventually Cabrera.
    Yes, they went and acquired a bunch of high-risk, high-reward type players. But, the risk far out-weighed the reward in hindsight and that was even talked about when they acquired those players.

    Johnson was a guy trying to return to form, Cabrera was a guy coming off a suspension from taking PEDs, Buerhle was a solid pitcher(past his prime, albeit), Reyes had trouble staying healthy..

    We basically took the Miami Marlins of 2012 and ended up...like the Miami Marlins of 2012.

    Also, a declining Kinsler..yes, true. But, incase you didn't realize Bautista and Encarnacion are also declining..

    In other news,

    David Freese to the Angels for Peter Bourjous
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  22. #760
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    In other news,

    David Freese to the Angels for Peter Bourjous
    Um, so? In other news, I just had a sandwich.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •